Is Bangladesh in danger of an Islamist takeover?

Even established democracies have struggled to deal with the unique threat of Islamists.

U.K. and US have used secret torture facilities and targeted killings.

I do not condone any of that but I am very conflicted.

How do you deal with people who are absolutely irrational and suicidal? Who want to deprive you off your basic rights.
The crimes were committed in the name of fighting militants.
All fascists historically talked about grave danger and consolidated power to fight that.
AL played the same exact game like what Hitler played.

The crimes were committed in the name of fighting militants.
All fascists historically talked about grave danger and consolidated power to fight that.
AL played the same exact game like what Hitler played.

Isn’t that what you guys are doing now?

Raw to the right, Raw to the left, you seek them here, you seek them there, you seek them everywhere.

But you guys also need to look yourselves in the mirror.

The intolerant and un-inquisitive mind - will always return you to the proverbial vomit.

Until you change - you will always be a fodder for authoritarians.

The sort of behaviour and language I see here - doesn’t fill me with much hope!

You guys need to be able to accept plurality of views - without resorting to cancel culture.

Cancel culture will always elicit violence.

@UKBengali is probably the only one who doesn’t resort to cancel culture.

But we endured that already, now its their turn. You are wishing good luck to wrong people.😆 It's not us who needs it now.

I seriously think it’s you guys who will need the help.

I think the other side will bide their time and pounce when the time is right.

The educated class is disproportionately progressive and disproportionately supports BAL.

And Islamists cannot help but meddle in people’s private affairs - that always triggers people!

Turks worshiped nature or the sky or something

What you are doing is showing your own Inferiority complex
Before Islam the Turkic tribes used to pray to one God in the Sky, Tanri....

Even established democracies have struggled to deal with the unique threat of Islamists.

That alone should give you a hint.

If the West failed to contain it, what makes you think any particular country will win against Islamist..

You are fighting for a people who loves death than you love life.

You will never succeed

Isn’t that what you guys are doing now?

Raw to the right, Raw to the left, you seek them here, you seek them there, you seek them everywhere.

But you guys also need to look yourselves in the mirror.

The intolerant and un-inquisitive mind - will always return you to the proverbial vomit.

Until you change - you will always be a fodder for authoritarians.

The sort of behaviour and language I see here - doesn’t fill me with much hope!

You guys need to be able to accept plurality of views - without resorting to cancel culture.

Cancel culture will always elicit violence.

@UKBengali is probably the only one who doesn’t resort to cancel culture.
“You guys” ( in your post) has a strong smell of Indian style curry !! @LeonBlack08

I was thinking you will start spewing BJP numbers of Hindu genocide in Bangladesh.
Interesting point that you make the case of inclusive politics. A notion that was unknown to Mujib. He slaughtered JSD, abolished multi-party democracy, and finally was going to call himself President for life.
Hasina pretty much had the same wine in a different bottle.
So it is a legit case to require AL to take an oath not to practice fascism and to uphold the principles of the republic . It is needed as she said on video “ This is my country, my own country, and my father liberated this country.”

“You guys” ( in your post) has a strong smell of Indian style curry !! @LeonBlack08

I was thinking you will start spewing BJP numbers of Hindu genocide in Bangladesh.
Interesting point that you make the case of inclusive politics. A notion that was unknown to Mujib. He slaughtered JSD, abolished multi-party democracy, and finally was going to call himself President for life.
So it is a legit case to require AL to take an oath not to practice fascism and to uphold the principles of the republic . It is needed as she said on video “ This is my country, my own country, and my father liberated this country.”

@BananaRepublic is a BD'shi and not Indian.

He used that phrase in the context of your mindset in contrast to his.

I seriously think it’s you guys who will need the help.

You have been talking to several of us with 'you guys'. Do you know us personally? Did I tell you full spectrum of my political belief? Or not just agreeing with you makes us 'islamist'?

I think the other side will bide their time and pounce when the time is right.

We will see. Instead of a facist regime, revolutionary government is running the country now. And then there will be a democratically elected government. Both will do their best to make sure that there cannot be any unelected regime in the future.

The educated class is disproportionately progressive and disproportionately supports BAL.

No.

Last edited:

And it's weirder that it was Zia who reinstated multi party politics, actual election, allowed hassina to return. Also, allowed freedom of press.

BNP has its share of corruption, but for what it's worth, they didn't attempt to blatantly rigg any election by changing constitution.

@BananaRepublic the massacre of Hefazat People happned under secular AL. AL killed over 800 people in last one moth.
So , yes AL is far more dangerous to BD than BNP. But I still don’t want to see AL getting banned, but certainly prosecuted for crime against humanity.
AL won't be banned. I think they will become another Muslim league! If the interim govt stay 5 years , after remormation and creating multiple parties , I think AL will have no chance. Their supports reduced drastically! They have little to no support among common people now!

@BananaRepublic is a BD'shi and not Indian.

He used that phrase in the context of your mindset in contrast to his.

anyone who doesn’t agree with them is an Indian?

How are they different from BAL fanatics who label their opposition as Razakars?

And look at the language used? Straight out of street politics!!!

How can you have a sane debate with these lot?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes the overthrow of Hasina by a bunch of students put paid to theory of India "installing" Hasina.

I still think we should be hopeful as Yunus is sincere and capable person and BD is a different country than what it was 20 years ago.

The trick is to reform politics and administration that opportunities for "village politics" is minimised.

As you say BD needs a PR system and that would mean that the 3rd party could act as a moderating influence on the largest party that leads the government.

My concern is that hatred and paranoia will drive removal of anyone who is not an avowed Islamist and/or India hawk.

That will ferment resentment - which will boil over into a counter revolution.

We have to have an electoral system that pegs BNP and BAL to less than 1/4 of MPs.

Only way to do this is pure PR.

Anyway, dude! Why do these freedom loving guys keep deleting my posts!!!

Unlike them - I never use foul language! Pointed, yes! Foul, no!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Pakistan Defence Latest

Back