JF-17 - Updates, News & Discussion

Could someone knowledgeable provide insights on the JF-17 PFX? How does it differ from the Block 3, and will there be any changes to the aircraft's frame, such as making it larger similar to what we're doing with the Tejas Mk2?

Could someone knowledgeable provide insights on the JF-17 PFX? How does it differ from the Block 3, and will there be any changes to the aircraft's frame, such as making it larger similar to what we're doing with the Tejas Mk2?
Nobody knows except that it's an experimental project so far.

Earlier, Pakistan had launched Project Azm for two reasons in my humble opinion:
  • One just to prove to the Turks that Pakistan was capable of handling a fifth generation fighter program and they wanted participation in the TFX project.
  • Second, to use Project Azm as a front to gather information on the capabilities of the American F-35 aircraft which were being transferred to the TFX that Pakistan could use on its own fighters.
Similarly, I see PFX as a project to transfer western/Turkish technology from TFX to JF-17 Thunder as well as experimenting with unmanned loyal wingman concept.

That's just my humble opinion. Nothing more.

Yes inducted. First 2 delivered from China.
Let me see if I got this right.

First 5 JF-17 Thunder Block-2 B
Aircraft No.
Type
Prototype No.
PAC No.
PAF Serial
01​
Prototype​
?​
N/A​
N/A​
02​
Prototype​
0002​
19-601​
03​
Prototype​
03​
19-602​
04​
 Serial​
N/A​
2P-63 B​
19-603​
05​
Serial​
N/A​
2P-64 B​
19-604​

Were there 2 or 3 prototypes because I've also seen a photograph of "03" Block-2 Bravo?

If 3, any photos of the first one?

JF-17B/FC-1B Fierce Dragon/Thunder

This tandem-seat trainer version was developed at the request of Pakistani AF, which also pre-ordered the first prototype. JF-17B is believed to have been based on the JF-17 Block II configuration with a IFR probe and an LED probe light installed on the starboard side of the forward fuselage. The aircraft features an enlarged and raised spine which creates additional space for flight instruments and fuel in order to compensate the space occupied by the rear cockpit. The aircraft also features a more swept vertical fin in order to reduce drag and to maintain the center of gravity. A new color LED landing light was installed above the front landing gear. A more powerful cockpit environmental control system has been installed as well to accommodate two pilots. More composite materials have been used in order to reduce the weight and to strengthen the structure. JF-17B is reportedly controlled by a new 3-axis digital FBW system replacing the old analog system. The aircraft is equipped with the same KLJ-7 PD fire-control radar and retain the same BVR as well as precision air-to-ground strike capabilities (including CS/BBF1 FAE) as JF-17 Block II. As the result JF-17B represents a very attractive option to foreign customers with limited budget and resources. Its length is 14.5m, height is 4.6m, TO weight is 9.4t, max external load is 4.6t. A model of the aircraft was first unveiled at the 2013 Paris Airshow by CATIC. The development started officially in 2014. The 01 prototype of JF-17B was constructed in December 2016 and conducted its first taxiing test on April 21, 2017. The JF-17B BC0001 prototype conducted its maiden flight on April 27, 2017. The JF-17B 02 prototype flew for the first time on December 7, 2017. Later the 01 prototype (17-601) conducted test flights at PAC with the pitot tube removed from the nose. The 03 prototype (19-603) conducted its maiden flight on August 3rd, 2018. 26 were reportedly ordered by PAF. The first batch of 8 JF-17Bs (including prototypes) were ready for delivery at PAC in late 2019. The production of last 14 JF-17Bs were completed by December 2020 and all aircraft are in service with PAF. Inflight refueling was practiced with Il-78M tanker. One PAF JF-17B crashed in August 2021. A recent image (March 2019) indicated that first customer of JF-17B was actually the Myanmar Air Force. So far two JF-17Bs (S/N 1706 & 1707) were delivered to MAF.
- Last Updated 8/29/22

JF-17B/FC-1B Fierce Dragon/Thunder

This tandem-seat trainer version was developed at the request of Pakistani AF, which also pre-ordered the first prototype. JF-17B is believed to have been based on the JF-17 Block II configuration with a IFR probe and an LED probe light installed on the starboard side of the forward fuselage. The aircraft features an enlarged and raised spine which creates additional space for flight instruments and fuel in order to compensate the space occupied by the rear cockpit. The aircraft also features a more swept vertical fin in order to reduce drag and to maintain the center of gravity. A new color LED landing light was installed above the front landing gear. A more powerful cockpit environmental control system has been installed as well to accommodate two pilots. More composite materials have been used in order to reduce the weight and to strengthen the structure. JF-17B is reportedly controlled by a new 3-axis digital FBW system replacing the old analog system. The aircraft is equipped with the same KLJ-7 PD fire-control radar and retain the same BVR as well as precision air-to-ground strike capabilities (including CS/BBF1 FAE) as JF-17 Block II. As the result JF-17B represents a very attractive option to foreign customers with limited budget and resources. Its length is 14.5m, height is 4.6m, TO weight is 9.4t, max external load is 4.6t. A model of the aircraft was first unveiled at the 2013 Paris Airshow by CATIC. The development started officially in 2014. The 01 prototype of JF-17B was constructed in December 2016 and conducted its first taxiing test on April 21, 2017. The JF-17B BC0001 prototype conducted its maiden flight on April 27, 2017. The JF-17B 02 prototype flew for the first time on December 7, 2017. Later the 01 prototype (17-601) conducted test flights at PAC with the pitot tube removed from the nose. The 03 prototype (19-603) conducted its maiden flight on August 3rd, 2018. 26 were reportedly ordered by PAF. The first batch of 8 JF-17Bs (including prototypes) were ready for delivery at PAC in late 2019. The production of last 14 JF-17Bs were completed by December 2020 and all aircraft are in service with PAF. Inflight refueling was practiced with Il-78M tanker. One PAF JF-17B crashed in August 2021. A recent image (March 2019) indicated that first customer of JF-17B was actually the Myanmar Air Force. So far two JF-17Bs (S/N 1706 & 1707) were delivered to MAF.
- Last Updated 8/29/22
Thank you so much for this information brother I will be able to finally sleep better at night.

Let me see if I got this right.

First 5 JF-17 Thunder Block-2 B
Aircraft No.
Type
Prototype No.
PAC No.
PAF Serial
01​
Prototype​
?​

N/A​
N/A​
02​
Prototype​
0002​
19-601​
03​
Prototype​
03​
19-602​
04​
 Serial​
N/A​
2P-63 B​
19-603​
05​
Serial​
N/A​
2P-64 B​
19-604​

Were there 2 or 3 prototypes because I've also seen a photograph of "03" Block-2 Bravo?

If 3, any photos of the first one?
The serial number is 17-601. You can tell it apart from later production models 19-602 and onwards by the 5 hinges reduced to 3 for the canopy.

1713939574615.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back