JF-17 - Updates, News & Discussion

Sadly, given the broader environment in Pakistan, there is a fair chance that the PFX is, simply, vapourware. Between the J-10CE, J-31, and potentially even L-15, I can't actually see a need to add another platform.

While I do believe the Pakistani armed forces can muster cash (via unaccounted assets within and outside of the country), there's a limit to what they can do.

For example, the JF-17 itself was driven by necessity. If the Peace Gate III/IV F-16s came, the PAF would not have signed on with CAC. Rather, it would have built upon the F-16 as its principal mainstay fighter. Once the multirole requirement was set, the next phase in the PAF's plan was, likely, to acquire a strike fighter, like the JH-7A.

Similarly, the PAF now has access to the ideal multirole platform in J-10CE as well as a potential strike system in the J-31. In addition, it has acquired medium-to-long-range and long-range SAMs from China, and will likely acquire more via domestic means. So, that would help complement the quick-reaction element.

Where would the PFX fit? You could say the lightweight multirole segment, sure, but the JF-17 is already there. Perhaps we can argue that the PFX is an upgrade path for the JF-17, and I truly believe that to be the case. However, as long as the J-10CEs and J-31 can be bought, there's no urgent need to upgrade the JF-17s either.

Ultimately, the "X" is the key indicator. It likely means "experimental" and, potentially, the PFX could be a study of a potential upgrade of the JF-17. It may be something on offer to the export market for a while, but beyond that, I doubt it'll survive.

In fact, I suspect there are voices in the PAF (especially those poised to take over after the current CAS) that are looking in another direction. I think there may be a drive now to walk away from crewed fighters and, instead, pivot to UCAVs.

UCAV tech is likely a shorter climb for Pakistan's technical capabilities, especially small designs like 1,000-ton decoys. The PAF has already found a willing partner (Baykar from Turkiye), the economies-of-scale make more sense (especially for disposable designs) and there's overlap with other areas, like ALCM tech.
It will fit in via retaining some manufacturing capabilities that J-10 nor the J-35 offer. That is worth the expense even at the cost of not acquiring LIFT or cutting back on J-10 orders.

Last edited:
Looks like 8 squadron has also converted to JF-17 's,unsure about the block though.Screenshot_20240908_031053_Video Player.jpg

You know what's the meaning of educated guess? Pakistan no capability to build stealth jet for their own it will be the massively upgraded version of block 3 JF-17

Keep living in your fantasy world and lala land kid

15 years ago we had no capability to build 4 th gen jet as well, a. Decade before no capability to build missiles and decade before nukes

Heck our neighbours have very questionable capability in all that fields

BTW stealth is not one exact figure, it's a spectrum, some are more stealth than others, depends what your requirements are

15 years ago we had no capability to build 4 th gen jet as well, a. Decade before no capability to build missiles and decade before nukes

Heck our neighbours have very questionable capability in all that fields

BTW stealth is not one exact figure, it's a spectrum, some are more stealth than others, depends what your requirements are
Be realistic man it will be the upgrade of block 3 JF-17 rather than a new jet, Pakistan has no eco system to design and develop 5th gen jets by her own, rest of the world 5th gen projects other than USA/china and Russia like KAAN/AMCA/KF21 are not totally INDIGENOUS but gain lots of help from USA (KF21) and KAAN (EU) and AMCA will also using lots of technologies from USA and Europe

So there's no chance that Pakistan design and develop fighter jet from scratch

You know what's the meaning of educated guess? Pakistan no capability to build stealth jet for their own it will be the massively upgraded version of block 3 JF-17

Keep living in your fantasy world and lala land kid
Maybe I am missing something. Did anyone claim to build this jet of their own? I think it's safe to assume that Pakistan will get some help from friendly countries.

Reactions: TAC
Shadeed zehni sadmay say dochar hay

Maybe I am missing something. Did anyone claim to build this jet of their own? I think it's safe to assume that Pakistan will get some help from friendly countries.
Friendly countries don't share their strategic tech (stealth) to any country, prime example is USA don't share any sensitive tech of F35 to its closest allies (Israel and UK)

1. People cant even read simple thing it clearly states NGF and also says stepping into future . They are trying to do something with air frame logically. Whether they can do it or not its a different debate project name also states experimental means trying something new.
2. So far we also know jf 17 has not be seen with pl 15. Logically may be block 3 is unable to carry pl 15. So what they are trying to do is making jf 17 a little more heavy with new aesa radar, engine and also changes in airframe . It can be said as jf 17s (super)
3. Those who are saying it turkish system integration that seems unlikely. When china can give better systems with great deals.

20240908_182608.jpg

Hi,

Many will be surprised to see what comes out---. Don't forget what you are writing about it.
1. People cant even read simple thing it clearly states NGF and also says stepping into future . They are trying to do something with air frame logically. Whether they can do it or not its a different debate project name also states experimental means trying something new.
2. So far we also know jf 17 has not be seen with pl 15. Logically may be block 3 is unable to carry pl 15. So what they are trying to do is making jf 17 a little more heavy with new aesa radar, engine and also changes in airframe . It can be said as jf 17s (super)
3. Those who are saying it turkish system integration that seems unlikely. When china can give better systems with great deals.

View attachment 63813

What ever it is, we will see when it comes out so the question is, When we are going to see PFX (Prototype)?

Friendly countries don't share their strategic tech (stealth) to any country, prime example is USA don't share any sensitive tech of F35 to its closest allies (Israel and UK)
Hey, bro.
China has been openly broadcasting fighter jet stealth skin technology on TV ............
He explains in detail the internal structure of the stealth skin, the manufacturing materials and processes, and the performance parameters .............
This is a public TV program.
So. Is it still a strategic technology?

Hey, bro.
China has been openly broadcasting fighter jet stealth skin technology on TV ............
He explains in detail the internal structure of the stealth skin, the manufacturing materials and processes, and the performance parameters .............
This is a public TV program.
So. Is it still a strategic technology?
Not top notch bro but export oriented stealth technology J31, J20 is still barred for export by Chinese govt

Not top notch bro but export oriented stealth technology J31, J20 is still barred for export by Chinese govt
I said it a long time ago:
China will not pay any attention at all to the impact of stealth technology on fighter jets. Stealth technology is fine for bullying small countries, but for big countries, stealth technology has absolutely no value. Remember, it's of no value.
So, China doesn't care if stealth tech is kept secret or not. j20 is not exported because of the avionics system. fc31 has been an export program.
China can always give stealth technology to Pakistan if Pakistan is willing to pay for it.CAC can upgrade JF-17 to stealth version very easily.
The issue is money, not technology secrecy. Its not free.

China made a breakthrough in anti-stealth technology a long time ago. Stealth technology means nothing to a country that has anti-cloaking technology.

Just as China was the first to break through hypersonic gliding technology. Now, on the one hand, it is applying this technology on a large scale to existing missiles; on the other hand, it is breaking through its interception technology. Some results have already been published. Once it has fully mastered the interception technology, China will hypersonic gliding technology is also publicized.

You can read this as another form of US-China arms race!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Posts

Back