Pak-Afghan Border Skirmishes and Terrorism Watch

ghazi52

Think Tank Analyst
Reaction score
Country of Origin
Country of Residence

Afghan Taliban arrest TTP terrorists amid growing pressure​

Afghan interim govt made the arrests in the bordering town of Kunar a day ago, reliable source says

Shahabullah Yousafzai
December 05, 2023

nacta to be handed over list within a month photo reuters

NACTA to be handed over list within a month. PHOTO: REUTERS

PESHAWAR: In a significant development, the Afghanistan interim government has apprehended three commanders and 16 foot soldiers associated with the Malakand Division chapter of banned Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP).

The arrests, which occurred just a day ago, took place in the bordering area of Kunar, a reliable source told The Express Tribune on Tuesday.

The move comes as Pakistan intensifies its pressure on the Afghan Taliban to take decisive action against the TTP, a group implicated in a spate of recent terrorist activities in Pakistan. Last month, Islamabad conveyed a list of demands to Kabul, including the extradition of Hafiz Gul Bahadur, whose faction claimed responsibility for the November 26 suicide attack in Bannu.

Authorities revealed that the Bannu attack was carried out by an Afghan national, marking the latest in a series of attacks in Pakistan since the return of the Afghan Taliban to power in August 2021.

Addressing concerns, Pakistan's Foreign Office (FO) stated on Friday that the Afghan Taliban government had given "certain assurances" to neutralise the threat posed by the TTP.

According to a source familiar with the matter, among the apprehended individuals is Commander Ilyas, also known as Ustad Ji, from the Malakand Division. Two other commanders, members of the Malakand shura, were also taken into custody. The entire group, referred to as a Tashkil, was promptly transferred to Kunar Jail following their arrest.

The source indicated that the initial stages of the investigation suggest that the captured suspects have links to the Islamic State Khorasan Province (ISKP) in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa (K-P). Furthermore, it was noted that the arrested commanders are believed to have played a facilitating role for the terrorist group.

Since the return of the Taliban to power in August 2021, Pakistan has witnessed a concerning surge in terrorist attacks. Statistics reveal a 60 per cent increase in overall attacks, with suicide attacks rising dramatically by 500 per cent.

Source:
-Merging of multiple threads-
InsiderOP reposted

BILAL SARWARY
@bsarwary

The attack against Pakistani security forces in KPK by Pakistani Taliban, also involves an Afghan Taliban suicide bomber from Helmand province, this is deeply distressing.

It exposes a profound disconnect between Afghan Taliban leaders and Afghan Taliban foot soldiers, as the latter persist in their desire to combat the Pakistani army, with political leaders exerting minimal control.These fighters, highly sophisticated and trained by Al-Qaeda and other terror groups, possess battle-hardened experience with NATO military equipment.

This poses a significant threat, underscoring the need for urgent and decisive action. The echoes of Afghanistan's dichotomy, where some sought livelihoods while others pursued paradise through conflict, are painfully resonant in Pakistan.

This complex reality profoundly impacts ordinary citizens, weaving a tapestry of sorrow and hardship that demands attention and collective efforts for a more compassionate and peaceful future.In the somber reality of the present, the claimed illusion of divine favor by the Pakistani establishment weighs heavily.

A moment of reflection unfolds, urging a reconsideration that acknowledges the depth of shared human experience and the need for genuine empathy in these challenging times.

It's crucial to move beyond rhetoric and work towards a peaceful Pakistan and region. The situation demands difficult yet timely decisions, without wasting precious time, to prevent further escalation and bring stability to the region.

Voe7S_ifB3s9Bfp4.jpg

The only solution to the Afghan problem is a complete blockade of Afghanistan. Close the border, militarise it like the LoC and deport all the refugees - legal or illegal. They pose a security threat and their government hasn't the means or the intention to address it.

The only solution to the Afghan problem is a complete blockade of Afghanistan. Close the border, militarise it like the LoC and deport all the refugees - legal or illegal. They pose a security threat and their government hasn't the means or the intention to address it.
Agree. The border should be heavily monitored and blocked. The free access in and out of Pakistan will cripple the nation.

TTA is showing it has no idea on how to run an actual nation. This pet project of theirs is steadily becoming a headache for all players in the region with an interest in Afghanistan, China included.
I disagree, I think they are doing a pretty decent job at running their nation with the resources available to them.

But they've adopted pevious Afghan policies of wanting to occupy and conquer the KPK-Balochistan region. And TTP is the violent militant arm to do that.

Afghanistan will always probe at this issue any time it can, either today or later on, or both.

Last edited:
By removing women from public office? Closing girls schools and universities? By silencing open thought and kidnapping aid workers?

Please!
Fair points but they are extremely conservative so it was expected

Last one is based though, they allow open thoughts mostly, just not treacherous ideas. It's us who normalised ghaddari and haram khori under open-mindedness.

Agree. The border should be heavily monitored and blocked. The free access in and out of Pakistan will cripple the nation.
I agree.

But the way it has been handled is rather unfortunate.

Had Pakistan have the foresight to understand global dynamics and properly manage its borders like every civilized country this problem wouldn’t have blown in Pakistan’s face.

Proper border management, refugee management, repatriation process, glaring loopholes on Afghan Transit Trade, stopping smuggling etc.

The people at the helm wake up one morning and want to tackle the problem in a kinetic manner which is the only way they’re trained to.

I don't know if you remember but some members on the old PDF thought me hardhearted callous when I called out the Afghan problem relating to terrorism activity from Nov 2022 to Jul 2023 in KPK and Quetta most notably. If you want to counter terrorism in this belt from Pishin through Tank/D.I. Khan into KPK, you need only look to the areas surrounding Kharotabad, Pishin 1 and 2, Beluda and Kech (these are the areas that need cleaning out).

The reason why Kabul must burn, now ! and always!
Seal the border. Create a border force for just for afghan border and use drones inside afg!

I don't know if you remember but some members on the old PDF thought me hardhearted callous when I called out the Afghan problem relating to terrorism activity from Nov 2022 to Jul 2023 in KPK and Quetta most notably. If you want to counter terrorism in this belt from Pishin through Tank/D.I. Khan into KPK, you need only look to the areas surrounding Kharotabad, Pishin 1 and 2, Beluda and Kech (these are the areas that need cleaning out).
If there’s certain areas where infiltration and attacks are high, why doesn’t Pak have drones monitoring those areas 24/7. Can’t drones with comint/sigint in Balochistan be very effective because of the low population/population density there?

If there’s certain areas where infiltration and attacks are high, why doesn’t Pak have drones monitoring those areas 24/7. Can’t drones with comint/sigint in Balochistan be very effective because of the low population/population density there?
I think we are fast approaching that point where the wider use of dones and UCAVs will enter the battle-space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back