Pak-Afghan Border Skirmishes and Terrorism Watch

Pakistan’s UN Ambassador Munir Akram on Wednesday warned the UN Security Council of a “serious threat of terrorism within and from Afghanistan”, emphasising that Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) was fast emerging as an “umbrella organisation” with potential of causing regional destabilisation.

The banned TTP, a separate group but aligned with the Afghan Taliban, had escalated attacks on Pakistani security forces since breaking a fragile ceasefire agreement with the then-government in November 2022.

Read more: https://www.dawn.com/news/1859801

Pakistan’s UN Ambassador Munir Akram on Wednesday warned the UN Security Council of a “serious threat of terrorism within and from Afghanistan”, emphasising that Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) was fast emerging as an “umbrella organisation” with potential of causing regional destabilisation.

The banned TTP, a separate group but aligned with the Afghan Taliban, had escalated attacks on Pakistani security forces since breaking a fragile ceasefire agreement with the then-government in November 2022.

Read more: https://www.dawn.com/news/1859801
Afghan talibans are toast without sancuteries ....no country in the region is going to give them one ..... ground is being prepared at the diplomatic and military levels to send them to heavens .

Cross-border firing

Earlier on Thursday night, a security official was martyred, and two others were injured in cross-border firing allegedly by the Afghan forces, sources told Dawn.

The attack took place at the Ghulam Khan border in Waziristan.

According to sources, the Pakistani forces retaliated to the attack.

The martyred and wounded security officials were shifted to a hospital in Miramshah.

The border was later closed for vehicular movement, sources added.

The country has lately witnessed a sharp uptick in the number of attacks targeting security forces, other law enforcement agencies, and security checkpoints, particularly in Balochistan and KP.

Attacks escalated after the outlawed Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan broke a ceasefire agreement with the government in 2022 and vowed to target security forces.

Pazir Gul in North Waziristan also contributed to this report

Published in Dawn, September 21st, 2024

Users who are viewing this thread

Back