Country of Residence
Pakistan-navy-10-638.jpg
Pakistan-navy-9-638.jpg

FuturePAF

Think Tank Analyst
Dec 17, 2014
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Hopefully the PN will be able to add Z-20F to replace the Seakings soon. I got to tour the Italian AW-101 and a seahawk at last years New York Fleet week. Despite the AW-101 being a larger helicopter, it didn’t seem to have much more systems then the AW-101. Improvements to the Z-20F could really see it close the gap, especially if China develops more advanced sonarbouys, dipping sonars, and more powerful engines.

Current Z-20F has 4800 hp total, compared to the 6300 hp of the AW-101, only 24% more power.

A 3000 hp equivalent to the future American engine T901 would basically close the gap, and allow China to fit two Z-20F in future Type 052D variants and carry more heavier weapons and sensors.

The Z-20F would go from a 10 ton helicopter to a 12.5 ton helicopter.

With more power, the Z-20F derivative would be able to power a more capable next generation dipping sonar.

Last edited:

Fatman17

THINK TANK: CONSULTANT
Apr 24, 2007
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Hopefully the PN will be able to add Z-20F to replace the Seakings soon. I got to tour the Italian AW-101 and a seahawk at last years New York Fleet week. Despite the AW-101 being a larger helicopter, it didn’t seem to have much more systems then the AW-101. Improvements to the Z-20F could really see it close the gap, especially if China develops more advanced sonarbouys, dipping sonars, and more powerful engines.

Current Z-20F has 4800 hp total, compared to the 6300 hp of the AW-101, only 24% more power.

A 3000 hp equivalent to the future American engine T901 would basically close the gap, and allow China to fit two Z-20F in future Type 052D variants and carry more heavier weapons and sensors.

I think PN will continue to scour the used market for Seakings because investing in new helicopters could be expensive and fitting the Z-20 with Western-origin systems would make them more expensive but the way the western market is shrinking for Pakistan Military there are not many choices left other than Italy Turkey and China.

FuturePAF

Think Tank Analyst
Dec 17, 2014
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
I think PN will continue to scour the used market for Seakings because investing in new helicopters could be expensive and fitting the Z-20 with Western-origin systems would make them more expensive but the way the western market is shrinking for Pakistan Military there are not many choices left other than Italy Turkey and China.
I think China will catch up in terms of ASW helicopter tech.

I agree the PN will keep looking for used ASW choppers but with most PN ships only able to carry one helicopter, at some point, when the Z-20 has evolved into a more potent helicopter, and hopefully the Pakistani economy has improved, the PN will be able to acquire the Z-20 to do nearly the equivalent of the work of two Seaking or Z-9 ASW helicopters; better dipping sonar, better sonar buoys, and better and heavier/deeper diving torpedos.

Last edited:

ghazi52

Think Tank Analyst
Mar 21, 2007
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
WESTLAND WS-61 SEA KING MARK-45 .... (1974 till date)
It is a British license-built, with anti-submarine warfare systems and a fully computerised control system, can carry Exocet anti-ship missiles.

1719681669759.png

Users who are viewing this thread