Country of Residence
Bhara Ghost & Allo

1707249992581.png

Pingle

Banned
Dec 20, 2023
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Hi.... all just wanted to know if there is any totally vegetarian or vegan food lovers in Pakistan?

This is just out of curiosity I'm asking as this is a thread related to food..... do not want to divert to other discussions.... I am just asking because myself and almost majority of India is vegetarian.....

ghazi52

Think Tank Analyst
Mar 21, 2007
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Hi.... all just wanted to know if there is any totally vegetarian or vegan food lovers in Pakistan?

This is just out of curiosity I'm asking as this is a thread related to food..... do not want to divert to other discussions.... I am just asking because myself and almost majority of India is vegetarian.....
In minority, the majority of people are non-vegetarian. Although we have lot of vegetable dishes.

ghazi52

Think Tank Analyst
Mar 21, 2007
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
by Kiran

A roundup of 25 popular and traditional Pakistani vegetarian recipes. With vegan options and substitutes. This list features lentils, beans, vegetarian curries, snacks, chutneys and more. From everyday weeknight meals to showstopper dishes for parties, there's a Pakistani vegetarian recipe for every occasion.

1. Lobia ka Salan (Black eyed peas curry)

A Pakistani vegan recipe, this is made with lobia (or black eyed peas) in an onion-tomato gravy base. It's comfort food in a bowl, and leftovers are excellent for an office lunch with rice or quinoa. Recipe contains directions for a stovetop as well as pressure cooker / Instant Pot version.

Note: This recipe is vegan as well.

A bowl of lobia ka salan (black eyed peas curry) topped with coriander.
Lobia ka salan (Black eyed peas curry)

2. Aloo Matar ki Sabzi (Potato and peas curry) .. Today we have this.

This is a simple vegetarian curry made with potatoes and peas. Use frozen peas to whip it up even more quickly. It can be served with rice or roti, or just eaten on its own with a spoon (yum!).

Note: This recipe is vegan.

3. Aloo Baingan (Potato and eggplant vegetable curry)

Another simple recipe made with eggplant and chopped potatoes in an onion-tomato gravy. Quick to cook and makes for a hearty meal.

4. Kaali Daal (Black lentils)

One of my favourite daal recipes, this is a popular Pakistani dish made with black gram lentils. Can be eaten with rice or roti, but my favourite way is with rice with pickled onions or kachumber salad on teh side. Recipe contains stovetop as well as pressure cook options.

A bowl of kaali daal (black gram lentils) topped with onions and mint leaves.
A bowl of comforting kaali daal (black lentils curry).

5. Zeera Aloo Sabzi (Potato curry with cumin seeds)

This is one of the quickest potato curry recipes ever - just 5 ingredients and ready in less than 30 minutes! It's what I make when I need dinner on the table quickly and I can't figure out what to cook.

6. Aloo ki Tarkari (Spicy & tart potato curry)

And we have another recipe featuring potato. In case it wasn't obvious we do love potatoes in Pakistani cuisine. And though there are multiple recipes featuring potatoes as the main ingredient, they all taste completely different! For instance this aloo ki tarkari is a spicy and tart - similar to the one that is available at the halwa puri stall for weekend breakfasts. It's super simple to make and tastes delicious with puri, paratha or kachori. All you need is some achaar on the side.

A steel bowl filled with aloo ki tarkari (Pakistani spiced potato curry).
This spicy and tart aloo ki tarkari is best enjoyed with paratha or kachori.

7. Bhindi ki Sabzi (Okra vegetable curry)

Another vegan recipe with okra (or bhindi as we call it in Urdu) as the star ingredient! This quick recipe is made with okra, sliced onions and spices finished off with lemon juice. Delicious with chapatti. In case you can't get fresh okra, just use frozen ones which are easily available at any Desi store.

8. Aloo ki Tahari or Aloo Chawal (Spiced potato rice)

Similar to a pilaf, this one pot rice dish is super simple to whip up - perfect for weekly dinners that need to be ready in less than 30 minutes or when unexpected guests drop by.

Note: This recipe is vegan. Just serve with vegan yoghurt.

Aloo tahari (spiced potato rice) in a platter with raita on the side.
This spiced aloo tahari (potato pilaf) is Pakistani comfort food at its best.

9. Lotus Root or Bhae ki Sabzi (Lotus root curry)

A regional speciality from the province of Sindh in Pakistan, this vegetarian recipe is made from lotus root (bhae or bhay in Urdu/Sindhi) in a onion based gravy with potatoes and tamarind pulp.

10. Aloo Kebab (Potato cutlets)

Aloo kebabs or potato cutlets are made with mashed potatoes, herbs and spices. Serve them for lunch or dinner, or mash them up to make a sandwich or just serve them as is with tomato sauce or green chutney.

Note: This recipe is vegetarian but can be made vegan by substituting the egg and breadcrumbs with vegan options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Posts