Turkish Naval Programs

Very significant milestone, once the first boat is commissioned usually the teething issues are fixed and then its a matter of production and not development and design. I suspect the other boats in the class will have a much shorter timeline for being built and put into service.

Türkiye's newest Reis-class air-independent-propulsion submarine S330 Pirireis has officially been commissioned to the #TurkishNavy.
🇹🇷

Turkish Navy receive its first AIP Submarine today, TCG PIRIREIS S-330 submarine.

1724530476849.jpeg
🇹🇷

The Turkish military is quite technologically advanced.

Pakistan, Turkey, and China should do Joint Ventures on military projects.

Is the AIP indigenous or of a German origin like the submarine?

I remember that they started a project for AIP systems, current situation is not urgent need but what i read and listen in Turkish defence world is thet are winking to Lithium batteries in subs like the Japans did. German AIP is the only technology in the world what is efficient, the France and Sweden are not good enough.

Coming back to your question no it is German technology, how far they are with current technology is not much information then this.

Is the AIP indigenous or of a German origin like the submarine?
These submarines, constructed under a German license, have undergone a few modifications to better suit Turkish requirements but make no mistake, these are German submarines.

Originally ordered in 2008/09 (!), the timeline reflects Germany's reputation for slow production and delivery. In our case, this can also be viewed as a form of sanction and embargo since third countries and German politicians constantly interfered in Berlin to stop the program.

See, this is from the German Bundestag (parliament):

A proposal to immediately stop the process and cancel the order.

Additionally, this delivery holds a significant historical importance as it represents our final major acquisition from an international partner.

Leaving this bad experience behind, our national submarine project MILDEN will commence next year.

The Turkish military is quite technologically advanced.

Pakistan, Turkey, and China should do Joint Ventures on military projects.

China doesn't make sense for Turkey. But Pakistan, Indonesia, and Malaysia are potential states for strategic partnership for codevelopment where costs are shared and significant production is created.

Lithium batteries in subs like the Japans did.

I think the Japanese are using a Stirling Engine for their primary AIP system, its not all 100% batteries.

The Hydrogen Fuel cell is the way to go IMO, but only a few countries have it, The Germans being the main users, though I read somewhere that the South Koreans and Spain have developed their own systems.

I think the Japanese are using a Stirling Engine for their primary AIP system, its not all 100% batteries.

The Hydrogen Fuel cell is the way to go IMO, but only a few countries have it, The Germans being the main users, though I read somewhere that the South Koreans and Spain have developed their own systems.

Another great news for you, Armerkom the Turkish Navy design bureau is completed with desgin phase of AC. They are going for detailed design..

I remember that they started a project for AIP systems, current situation is not urgent need but what i read and listen in Turkish defence world is thet are winking to Lithium batteries in subs like the Japans did. German AIP is the only technology in the world what is efficient, the France and Sweden are not good enough.

Coming back to your question no it is German technology, how far they are with current technology is not much information then this.

However, with Spain's positive attitude to cooperation with Turkiye on naval platforms such as TCG ANADOLU (L-400) LHD and interest in further joint programmes, Abengoa, responsible for S-80 submarines' ethanol-based AIP system, might be an option. It is also known that companies such as ASPİLSAN and AYESAŞ have developed various AIP R&D projects. Establishing a stable development for MİLDEN's AIP system, whether fully local or partnership, is important to avoid programme delays.

I thought we're going to cooperate with the Spanish but it seems like no final decision has been made yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back