What book are you reading?

This isn't about state order vs liberty. There is an old Chinese proverb that said. "Care about nothing as long horse keep racing and people keep dancing". When the economy is good, people don't really care about anything, it's only start being an issue when you can't keep the horsie racing and can't keep people dancing.

The problem for the Chinese is they hedged a lot of money in real estate due to their cultural belief. And when the real estate market is good, nobody cares because it brings them money, but then real estate and basically every non-volatile asset have the same issue, it's what people called "elastic-economy" imagining trading in Real Estate market. You can only trade up, because otherwise you can't sell them, or more likely you wouldn't and unlike gold or blue-chip investment, they don't have a stable price so when the supply of real estate overwhelms the market because people keep invest in it. Then it would be like the last person who buy GameStop share after that reddit "heist".

The different of investing environment between China and the West (US specifically) are very different, in the west, that liberty give us the resilience, say if we or the government or the market had made a mistake, that liberty of investment is going to allow a buffer zone for people to move around, so it bounce back quicker. In China, the market environment is basically good when it was bull and extremely worrisome when it was red. Because you don't have the liberty to invest however you want. You basically invest in what the Chinese government want you to invest in, again, if this is a good market, there ain't no problem, but if the market performance was bad, your investment is basically there to fill a pit.

The issue for Chinese economy is that they can't get out of the cultural constraint, Chinese invest in housing, their home, because growing up in Hong Kong, that's what you were told. Problem is that is the least expansive debt there can be. Because other than the land your house/apartment/condo sitting on, that piece of investment have no actual value. As I said above, it's A-OK when the land value is high, but when the valuation is low, and you are holding a loan that overvalued, well, you're fu.ked

Another thing is the government does not act as a guarantee in this investment. The problem is, when you are talking about repayment and loan health, that's a very risky factor to have to re-mortgage your home. Which if I am a principal lender, I probably wouldn't accept real estate as a security. Because it is a home, it doesn't generate income like machinery and commercial real estate. It's like those dudes in Pawn Stars always say "It might have value to you, but I need to find a buyer".

People don't understand who US currency and fiscal policy work, the issue here is USD is not just being used by the United States as tender currency. China have around 300 billion USD in their central bank. Australia Reserve Bank is holding 40 billion, each reserve/central bank in the world hold some USD (probably except Russia now) in some respect which mean those USD (even it was just a line of credit, not printed currency) are not going to be in regular circulation. Which mean as long as the world is doing this, US is always going to be in debt, in fact, the more US develop, the more debt they are going to be issuing, because on one side, you need money to developed, and on the other, a better US economy mean the world hold more USD as securities, which mean less USD in circulation. Also worth notice that most US debt are held within the United States, we are talking about around 23 trillion of the 30.4 trillion US debt were held WITHIN the US. That in itself are basically stuck in the Federal Loop, (generate debt -> raise tax -> pay off interest -> loan more) rinse and repeat, yes, the debt goes bigger, but so did the security pool.

China on the other hand, as I mentioned before, have majority of their debt stuck in real estate market, which basically depends on the market value, they don't generate fixed/liquid. In fact, in most western world, real estate investment is not really counted as investment. It's very much different for someone to invest a home and charge rent in return, than a person invest in a company that produce income thru commercial activities......Which mean the Chinese debt would have been a lot harder to clear and if the market collapsed, that is going to send shockwave to their economy in general. That's why we see 2 out of the 5 big real estate investment company goes bust and there are pretty much nothing anyone, including the government can do about that.

Ditto regd bringing this here to this thread for more measured paced discussion on it when I get time a bit later. The forum at large has its quality vs quantity thing going on at large, I will use this thread (and maybe 1 - 2 more) to distill things without the usual "noise" that permeates/corupts lot of threads.

@Joe Shearer et al. might want to chime in if interested on the stuff I bring here from time to time too.

Ditto regd bringing this here to this thread for more measured paced discussion on it when I get time a bit later. The forum at large has its quality vs quantity thing going on at large, I will use this thread (and maybe 1 - 2 more) to distill things without the usual "noise" that permeates/corupts lot of threads.

@Joe Shearer et al. might want to chime in if interested on the stuff I bring here from time to time too.
I am interested, but getting past the garbage posted by bhakts still trying to dress up the debacle of their favourite political combine and their favourite political demagogue is increasingly distasteful.

I am interested, but getting past the garbage posted by bhakts still trying to dress up the debacle of their favourite political combine and their favourite political demagogue is increasingly distasteful.

They are an insufferable bunch, made more insufferable by anonymity found in online social spaces.

I tend to focus on bhakts closer to me, that mean something to me, family and close friends etc.... just earlier I got into heated argument about Kavach being 5% deployed in IR, contrasting with all the brochurism fanfare with vande bharat and now the bullet train project....given the accident that happened again.

i.e the simple stuff that clearly the money is there for....and the time that has now flown under the bridge.....when it comes to basic safety and standards to be prioritized first.

Still a number would not relent (but I expected this, it was more to illustrate the issue to others in same circle that are more reasonable).....but that stuff ends sapping me most of the time....that I can't be bothered with the anonymous types, that mean zilch to me, showing up in fora that are out for quantity first over quality anyway....so we get the repetitive morass effect....made worse by extreme tribe A having complex B fitting hand in glove with extreme tribe B having complex A (and both just feed off each other, as can be done so when things are all anonymous "banter" in end).

With fora, I just figure I will try start a couple qualitative oriented zones, with signalling to qualitative members only....to try get to new exchanges and meaningful discussions. So whenever you are bored of the morass out there, you and others can check in these spots, of course to your preference.

@_NOBODY_ what new book have you been reading brother, always interested in what my fellow bibliophile is reading :)

@_NOBODY_ what new book have you been reading brother, always interested in what my fellow bibliophile is reading :)
I finished reading AI 2041: Ten Visions for Our Future by Chen Qiufan and Kai-Fu Lee
1718876814268.png

I am currently reading AI Superpowers: China, Silicon Valley, and the New World Order by Kai-Fu Lee.
1718876240163.png

After this I may read one of the following three:
1. The Age of AI: And Our Human Future which written by Daniel Huttenlocher and two demons named Eric Schmidt and Henry Kissinger
1718876383132.png

2. Ghost Fleet: A Novel of the Next World War by August Cole and P. W. Singer
1718876560537.png

3. The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway
1718876725464.png

I finished reading AI 2041: Ten Visions for Our Future by Chen Qiufan and Kai-Fu Lee
View attachment 49518

I am currently reading AI Superpowers: China, Silicon Valley, and the New World Order by Kai-Fu Lee.
View attachment 49514

After this I may read one of the following three:
1. The Age of AI: And Our Human Future which written by Daniel Huttenlocher and two demons named Eric Schmidt and Henry Kissinger
View attachment 49515

2. Ghost Fleet: A Novel of the Next World War by August Cole and P. W. Singer
View attachment 49516

3. The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway
View attachment 49517
Good selection.

They are an insufferable bunch, made more insufferable by anonymity found in online social spaces.

I tend to focus on bhakts closer to me, that mean something to me, family and close friends etc.... just earlier I got into heated argument about Kavach being 5% deployed in IR, contrasting with all the brochurism fanfare with vande bharat and now the bullet train project....given the accident that happened again.

i.e the simple stuff that clearly the money is there for....and the time that has now flown under the bridge.....when it comes to basic safety and standards to be prioritized first.

Still a number would not relent (but I expected this, it was more to illustrate the issue to others in same circle that are more reasonable).....but that stuff ends sapping me most of the time....that I can't be bothered with the anonymous types, that mean zilch to me, showing up in fora that are out for quantity first over quality anyway....so we get the repetitive morass effect....made worse by extreme tribe A having complex B fitting hand in glove with extreme tribe B having complex A (and both just feed off each other, as can be done so when things are all anonymous "banter" in end).

With fora, I just figure I will try start a couple qualitative oriented zones, with signalling to qualitative members only....to try get to new exchanges and meaningful discussions. So whenever you are bored of the morass out there, you and others can check in these spots, of course to your preference.
Your post sums up my increasing disinclination to be involved with this A-B behaviour.

Right now I am reading several books. One of them is Advanced Land Warfare: Tactics and Operations. It's a collection of some excellent articles written by various experts on the subject matter. Therefore, you can begin with any of the chapter you choose.

Chapter 13 provides a good in-depth summery of PLA modernization. Not so long, you can probably read it in one go. I see @Nilgiri and @j_hungary were discussing it in another thread. You may find it particularly interesting.

Few days after writing this, I came across this 280 page research report by Rand. It was so good and comprehensive that I was reading it on Eid Holiday. Exactly the type of content I needed on PLA.

Gaining Victory in Sytems Warfare

Wanted to say, highly recommended. But then realized @Nilgiri probably doesn't read anything I refer to anyway.😏

Snapchat-1905719280.jpg
Started reading after really long time 📚

91Np3QEB+OL._SL1500_.jpg

Nastik chronicles the transformative journey of a modern Indian sceptic who initially embraced Western neo-atheism. It begins with the protagonist’s disillusionment with religious dogma and his subsequent adoption of Western neo-atheism, characterized by a staunch denial of theism and a critique of religion’s influence on society.

As the narrative unfolds, he encounters the rich tapestry of Indian philosophy. He discovers the nuanced perspectives of nastik schools of thought in Indian tradition, such as Charvaka, Jainism and certain interpretations of Buddhism, which reject the authority of the Vedas and the existence of a creator god yet engage deeply with ethical and philosophical questions.

His transformation into a nastik and Nirishvarwaadi is marked by an appreciation for the complexity of Eastern scepticism, which often intertwines with spiritual and moral considerations unlike the more direct and often materialistic scepticism prevalent in the West. The book delves into the differences between Western and Eastern scepticism, highlighting how Eastern traditions offer a nuanced view that accommodates doubt within a spiritual framework.

As his worldview evolves, he critiques the emergence of neo-atheism’s successor, ‘wokeism’, which he argues marks a shift from scepticism to a new form of dogmatism. He argues that neo-atheism inadvertently paved the way for wokeism by undermining traditional structures without offering a sustainable alternative, leading to a vacuum that wokeism has filled with its own set of moral certainties.

At the penultimate stage, the protagonist explores the concept of Hindu scepticism, which is considered part of the broader Hindu tradition. The inclusiveness of this tradition highlights the unique ability of dharma to absorb various strands of thought. As the narration closes, he learns that at the heart of dharmic traditions lies a commitment to mutual respect, reciprocity and ahimsa (non-violence), which have allowed for a diverse array of beliefs and practices to coexist and flourish within the Indian philosophical landscape.

-----------------------

less than 400 bugs on the amazons.

making darkhwast to @vsdoc to also sappport and read

Leaving this here for now @Mr X :

This is comparison of grantha "elder/parent" script to malayalam and also finds use in Tamil heavily (Tamil and Malayalam are very closely connected in end) to the modern versions used now in TN-Kerala region (sinhalese also included).

The Latin gives the sanskrit basic consonant phonology (which grantha and malayalam capture/intersect entirely) and you can see just how much Tamil "originally/conservatively" does not have on its end.

Grantha_ConsComp.gif

Bottom left are the very common sanskrit sounds that Tamil still retains characters for today. Grantha compounds like Shree/Sri (ஸ்ரீ) are not given here (it combines sha and ri).... but these 4 at bottom left (really J should be put down here too)....are not traditional Tamil phonology....hence why "h" sound is often dropped from shree too.

The bottom right 3 in contrast are the opposite, Tamil and malayalam phonology in consonants that do not exist in sanskrit, hence why they dont exist in Grantha (and sinhalese too).

Extra foreign sounds like F and Z are compounds of P and J.

The Z and J phonology is of course a source of humour for urdu vs hindi speakers....due to same "original vernacular phonology" issue.

@Joe Shearer

Leaving this here for now @Mr X :

This is comparison of grantha "elder/parent" script to malayalam and also finds use in Tamil heavily (Tamil and Malayalam are very closely connected in end) to the modern versions used now in TN-Kerala region (sinhalese also included).

The Latin gives the sanskrit basic consonant phonology (which grantha and malayalam capture/intersect entirely) and you can see just how much Tamil "originally/conservatively" does not have on its end.

Grantha_ConsComp.gif

Bottom left are the very common sanskrit sounds that Tamil still retains characters for today. Grantha compounds like Shree/Sri (ஸ்ரீ) are not given here (it combines sha and ri).... but these 4 at bottom left (really J should be put down here too)....are not traditional Tamil phonology....hence why "h" sound is often dropped from shree too.

The bottom right 3 in contrast are the opposite, Tamil and malayalam phonology in consonants that do not exist in sanskrit, hence why they dont exist in Grantha (and sinhalese too).

Extra foreign sounds like F and Z are compounds of P and J.

The Z and J phonology is of course a source of humour for urdu vs hindi speakers....due to same "original vernacular phonology" issue.

@Joe Shearer
Will reply at leisure; fascinating. I am tempted to add the Bangla script, and look at things with that complication in place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Pakistan Defence Latest

Back