$7.5 billion Sukhoi fighter upgrade begins, to involve Indian private sector in big way

Why 84? why not all MKIs? They are not that old. :unsure:

I think their will be second tranche upgrades but how.many will.depend on other new combat planes arriving or Rafales Tejas and Amca .

If for argument sake 500 new Rafales Amca and Tejas arrive by 2040 then 84 upgraded Mki is enough but if , only 300 new Rafales Amca and Tejas arrive then expect another large batch perhaps 85 more to be upgraded too

I think their will be second tranche upgrades but how.many will.depend on other new combat planes arriving or Rafales Tejas and Amca .

If for argument sake 500 new Rafales Amca and Tejas arrive by 2040 then 84 upgraded Mki is enough but if , only 300 new Rafales Amca and Tejas arrive then expect another large batch perhaps 85 more to be upgraded too

Understandable. Thanks for reply.

Why 84? why not all MKIs? They are not that old. :unsure:

The reason is that by the time they develop all the upgrades and then implement them, say at a rate of 15 to 18 per year (as they arrive for their overhauls to HAL Nashik, they'll get upgraded as well), it will take 5 to 6 years to upgrade them.

By then, there will be newer technologies available, for instance, the GaAs radar will by then be replaced by a GaN T/R module equipped Uttam Mk3 or Mk4. Some of the processors may be replaced for even further improved processing.

Basically it is going to be for 84 at first, followed by the remaining later in batches.

It is a similar approach to what was done by HAL for the Jaguars. We first had DARIN 1, then DARIN 2 and finally DARIN 3. Eventually all of the Jaguars were upgraded to at least DARIN 2 standards.

The reason is that by the time they develop all the upgrades and then implement them, say at a rate of 15 to 18 per year (as they arrive for their overhauls to HAL Nashik, they'll get upgraded as well), it will take 5 to 6 years to upgrade them.

By then, there will be newer technologies available, for instance, the GaAs radar will by then be replaced by a GaN T/R module equipped Uttam Mk3 or Mk4. Some of the processors may be replaced for even further improved processing.

Basically it is going to be for 84 at first, followed by the remaining later in batches.

It is a similar approach to what was done by HAL for the Jaguars. We first had DARIN 1, then DARIN 2 and finally DARIN 3. Eventually all of the Jaguars were upgraded to at least DARIN 2 standards.

Got It. Thanks for explaining.

New Delhi: The defence ministry is set to ink an estimated ₹21,000 crore deal to acquire jet engines for its Su 30MKI fighter fleet. The engines will be made in India from the raw material stage by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) and will replace older engines that are coming to the end of their service life.

The order for about 230 engines will be placed in the coming days, with deliveries to take place over the next few years, said people familiar with the matter.. The total requirement of the AL 31 FP engines is close to 950 as they power the entire fleet of the twin-engine Su 30MKI fighter, they said.

The engines are being made by HAL under a licence arrangement with a high level of localisation. A large part of the order value is expected to be passed on to the vendor and supplier base created by HAL over the years.

In addition to the new engines, the mainstay Su 30MKI fighter jet fleet is set to be upgraded under a plan that will include completely new avionics, radars and electronic warfare suites. Close to 100 of the fighters are to be upgraded in the first tranche that will be conducted entirely in India.

The upgrade plan is valued in excess of ₹60,000 crore and HAL will be the lead agency for the upgrade in partnership with the Indian Air Force and other partners. India had ordered 272 of the fighter jets from Russia that form the mainstay of the air force fighter fleet. An order for 12 more jets valued at close to ₹11,000 crore, to replace aircraft lost to accidents, has also been cleared by the defence ministry.

ET had earlier reported that HAL is also close to signing a deal with American engine manufacturer GE Aviation to produce advanced jet engines under a technology transfer deal. The GE 414 engines will power the next version of the Tejas light combat aircraft as well as other future programmes.

New Delhi: The defence ministry is set to ink an estimated ₹21,000 crore deal to acquire jet engines for its Su 30MKI fighter fleet. The engines will be made in India from the raw material stage by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) and will replace older engines that are coming to the end of their service life.

The order for about 230 engines will be placed in the coming days, with deliveries to take place over the next few years, said people familiar with the matter.. The total requirement of the AL 31 FP engines is close to 950 as they power the entire fleet of the twin-engine Su 30MKI fighter, they said.

The engines are being made by HAL under a licence arrangement with a high level of localisation. A large part of the order value is expected to be passed on to the vendor and supplier base created by HAL over the years.

In addition to the new engines, the mainstay Su 30MKI fighter jet fleet is set to be upgraded under a plan that will include completely new avionics, radars and electronic warfare suites. Close to 100 of the fighters are to be upgraded in the first tranche that will be conducted entirely in India.

The upgrade plan is valued in excess of ₹60,000 crore and HAL will be the lead agency for the upgrade in partnership with the Indian Air Force and other partners. India had ordered 272 of the fighter jets from Russia that form the mainstay of the air force fighter fleet. An order for 12 more jets valued at close to ₹11,000 crore, to replace aircraft lost to accidents, has also been cleared by the defence ministry.

ET had earlier reported that HAL is also close to signing a deal with American engine manufacturer GE Aviation to produce advanced jet engines under a technology transfer deal. The GE 414 engines will power the next version of the Tejas light combat aircraft as well as other future programmes.

Hopefully, but as usual all I read in this long text is:

... is set to ink ... will be made in India ... will be placed in the coming days, with deliveries to take place over the next few years ... is set to be upgraded under a plan that will include ... HAL is also close to signing a deal with.

Nothing concrete done yet!

... is set to ink ... will be made in India ... will be placed in the coming days, with deliveries to take place over the next few years ... is set to be upgraded under a plan that will include ... HAL is also close to signing a deal with.

This is likely to happen sooner rather than later, especially since the Ministry of Defence has already signed a contract for over 100 MiG-29 engines.

This is likely to happen sooner rather than later, especially since the Ministry of Defence has already signed a contract for over 100 MiG-29 engines.

Again ... "This is likely to happen sooner rather than later" and what meaning "soon" has in India we all know!

Don't get me wrong and I admire your enthusiasm, but isn't it a bit frustrating that all the years you hear and quote the same phrases again and again and barely anything happens?

Somebody once told me that
Many things in Indian Defence are Deliberately Hidden or Classified or Obfuscated

Information is available to
Only those people who
Need to Know

And When Outsiders Try to find out details , it helps us to catch External Spies or people who are internally compromised

Somebody once told me that
Many things in Indian Defence are Deliberately Hidden or Classified or Obfuscated

Information is available to
Only those people who
Need to Know

And When Outsiders Try to find out details , it helps us to catch External Spies or people who are internally compromised

Agreed, that's common to all military forces, but "Somebody once told me that
Many things in Indian Defence are Deliberately Hidden or Classified or Obfuscated" but the reason is more to hide the own failures and wrong decisions to cover up the endless delays, especially since the majority of the population a) doesn't understand it anyway and b) isn't interested in facts either.

Many things in Indian Defence are Deliberately Hidden or Classified or Obfuscated" but the reason is more to hide the own failures and wrong decisions to cover up the endless delays, especially since the majority of the population a) doesn't understand it anyway and b) isn't interested in facts either.

What is Classified is Classified

For eg the Hullabaloo and panic mongering on
Artillery , Submarines , Fighter planes is all unjustified

And you think that s is unique to south Asia
Pakistan military hides 90%, of everything
Kargil was hidden my mushraff and the losses from their entire population
Osama bin laden hidden no body knew in Pakistan but the military
Bajwa recently told the press we have no money for fuel for our lorries we cannot fight India in a serious war

Things are hidden every where...
Even in the USA and Europe

And you think that s is unique to south Asia
Pakistan military hides 90%, of everything
Kargil was hidden my mushraff and the losses from their entire population
Osama bin laden hidden no body knew in Pakistan but the military
Bajwa recently told the press we have no money for fuel for our lorries we cannot fight India in a serious war

Things are hidden every where...
Even in the USA and Europe

Again you seem to have not completely read my word: That's common ... I only used his quote to show - and that too is common - the reasons can be different! For the one its since simply secret , while for others its secret to reveal the reasons behind!

Again you seem to have not completely read my word: That's common ... I only used his quote to show - and that too is common - the reasons can be different! For the one its since simply secret , while for others its secret to reveal the reasons behind!

Sorry not sure what you mean here tbh
For me hiding the truth is hiding the truth to avoid embarrassment Shame or cunning sinister plan
Which these are I'm.not sure
But I know this much Pakistan hides everything and India is corrupt as hell

Users who are viewing this thread

Pakistan Defence Latest

Back