As cheap Chinese imports flood Southeast Asia, industries struggle to stay afloat

lol, hopefully you can at least stop breaking trade deficit record with China month on month.
As long as we import goods that adds value, I have no problems with Chinese imports lol. You provide cheaper machinery that can compete with expensive western ones.

As long as we import goods that adds value, I have no problems with Chinese imports lol. You provide cheaper machinery that can compete with expensive western ones.
We actually make much more value added products than the west.

gw0yphvwkaal0r6-jpg.63541

We make more machines because the west has been outcompeted out of this business
gwzv_42wkaatpvk-jpg.63540

We actually make much more value added products than the west.

gw0yphvwkaal0r6-jpg.63541

We make more machines because the west has been outcompeted out of this business
gwzv_42wkaatpvk-jpg.63540
Good for you, all I am saying is we can import certain goods get to know the demand of these, put tarriffs and manufacture them ourselves if we can. Why should I prioritise cutting trade with China when in fact your trades are helping us.

Like I said, our exports are increasing a lot of products are manufactured in house by putting dumping duties on your imports. A good example is our toy industry. We put duties on imported toys which cut the imports in half and raised our exports more than twice what was before. Use Chinese imports for raw materials, then slowly cut you out is the right strategy.

Can India really manufacture simple electric motors or LED bulbs, which are used in toys, or all these components are still imported from China and put into so-called made-in-India toys, just like garments made in Bangladesh, but with all components imported from China and only the last low-skilled steps (cutting and sewing) are done in Bangladesh.

I doubt.

Those tiny things are not easy to mass manufacture. Many countries now can send satellites into orbit (even Vietnam is trying), but few can actually mass manufacture a quality bicycle with all domestic components.

Last edited:
Can India really manufacture simple electric motors or LED bulbs, which are used in toys, or all these components are still imported from China and put into so-called made-in-India toys, just like garments made in Bangladesh, but with all components imported from China and only the last low-skilled steps (cutting and sewing) are done in Bangladesh.

I doubt.

Those tiny things are not easy to mass manufacture. Many countries now can send satellites into orbit (even Vietnam is trying), but few can actually mass manufacture a quality bicycle with all domestic components.
Yeah no. We put restrictions on these items as well. We do make electric motors, it's not a complex design. Even I can make one.

Toy industry mostly rely on petro chemical industries for raw materials. Those are easily available in India itself. So the shift wasn't very hard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back