China's strategy for taking Taiwan without a shot - MSN news

MH.Yang

Dec 24, 2023
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Wow that’s great info. I have always been interested in Chinese history and the different dynasties. My most favourite is the song, Jin, Dali period prior to the mongol invasions.

I'm glad you know so much about China's history.

The history lesson that the Song Dynasty teaches us is that we should not judge the strength or weakness of a country only by its population territory and economy.

Han empires have always preferred to balance the nomadic regimes on the steppe by supporting the weak against the strong. However, the Han emperors of the Song Dynasty made two consecutive important misjudgments, and it ultimately led to the downfall of the Song Dynasty.

The first time was that the Song Dynasty believed that the Khitans were more powerful than the Jurchen, so the Song Dynasty supported the Jurchen against the Khitans. It eventually led to the destruction of Kaifeng, the first capital of the Song Dynasty, after the Jurchen (Jin Empire) had destroyed the Khitans (Liao Empire).

The second time was when the Song Dynasty misjudged that the Jurchen were more powerful than the Mongols. As a result, the Mongols (Yuan Empire) destroyed the Jurchen (Jin Empire) and then the Song Dynasty.

This history teaches us that the strength of a nation depends on its internal organizational structure, national spirit and cultural traditions. Temporary demographic and economic conditions are not so important in a history that spans thousands of years.

Hamartia Antidote

Elite Member
Nov 17, 2013
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
China on Friday rolled out new punishments, including capital punishment, for what it considers to be "'Taiwan independence' diehards."

Not a good idea. You are walking right into a "Spartacus" scenario.

This is going to backfire as likely there will be a movement to have everybody stand up and denounce Chinese rule on video and you'll then have to kill everybody or put everybody in prison.

They will then play it to the world and China will look the fool when the Taiwanese dare it to enforce the law.

Watch for the new popular hashtag in Taiwan
#I'mSpartacus

Last edited:

BHAN85

Jan 5, 2015
Country of Origin
Country of Residence

This is going to backfire as likely there will be a movement to have everybody stand up and denounce Chinese rule on video and you'll then have to kill everybody or put everybody in prison.

They will then play it to the world and China will look the fool when the Taiwanese dare it to enforce the law.

#I'mSpartacus

In weibo it never will be trending

Problem solved :ROFLMAO:

ety

Dec 11, 2023
Country of Origin
Country of Residence

#I'mSpartacus

No. not every Taiwanese, only selected few serious will be prosecuted. Don't make fearmongering.

bengalcdn

SpeedLimited
Dec 10, 2023
Country of Origin
Country of Residence

The history lesson that the Song Dynasty teaches us is that we should not judge the strength or weakness of a country only by its population territory and economy.

Han empires have always preferred to balance the nomadic regimes on the steppe by supporting the weak against the strong. However, the Han emperors of the Song Dynasty made two consecutive important misjudgments, and it ultimately led to the downfall of the Song Dynasty.

The first time was that the Song Dynasty believed that the Khitans were more powerful than the Jurchen, so the Song Dynasty supported the Jurchen against the Khitans. It eventually led to the destruction of Kaifeng, the first capital of the Song Dynasty, after the Jurchen (Jin Empire) had destroyed the Khitans (Liao Empire).

The second time was when the Song Dynasty misjudged that the Jurchen were more powerful than the Mongols. As a result, the Mongols (Yuan Empire) destroyed the Jurchen (Jin Empire) and then the Song Dynasty.

This history teaches us that the strength of a nation depends on its internal organizational structure, national spirit and cultural traditions. Temporary demographic and economic conditions are not so important in a history that spans thousands of years.
Wow I never thought of it that way but you are right the Jins and the yuan (mongols) became larger threats to the song dynasty. I always thought the execution of General Yue Fei who could have defeated the Jins and recovered the captured emperor qinzhong and need for holding power by emperor gaozhong was their biggest mistake.

S10

Nov 13, 2009
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
China should never count on unifying Taiwan without firing a shot. That's how Russia got into this mess in Ukraine. Instead, China should be prepared for a major war, even intervention from US/Japan/Australia.

ety

Dec 11, 2023
Country of Origin
Country of Residence

The only problem was Liao was established first about the same time as Song, so Liao first became the enemy of Song before Jin was established as Liao occupied some Song territory. Then came Jin, so Song allied with Jin against Song's old long time enemy Liao. After Jin defeated Liao, Jin became Song's sworn enemy as Jin occupied north Song territory. Then came Mongol empire, so Song allied with Mongol empire against Song's long time enemy this time Jin. And Song never thought the Mongol empire was to win as it became strongest. Song couldn't escape its past history in a way. I guess somehow one couldn't expect Song to ally with its long time enemies that still occupied some of Song's lands against new emerging neighboring powers.

Last edited:

Hamartia Antidote

Elite Member
Nov 17, 2013
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
No. not every Taiwanese, only selected few serious will be prosecuted. Don't make fearmongering.

What "only selected few serious"? Are you saying the law is intentionally vague and it doesn't explicitly define "serious" and so a capital offense is going to be interpreted on the fly by some judge?

30 thousand people go on camera next week and call for the violent overthrow of the CCP and a noose around Xi's neck from a tree but a handful are determined "more serious" than the others?

You are asking for a "Spartacus" type situation.

Last edited:

ety

Dec 11, 2023
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
What "only selected few serious"? Are you saying the law is intentionally vague and it doesn't explicitly define "serious" and so a capital offense is going to be interpreted on the fly by some judge?

30 thousand people go on camera next week and call for the violent overthrow of the CCP and a noose around Xi's neck but a handful are determined "more guilty" than the others?
Who masterminded, organized or behind such things most likely prosecuted.

Hamartia Antidote

Elite Member
Nov 17, 2013
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Who masterminded, organized or behind such things most likely prosecuted.

"I'm Spartacus, no I'm Spartacus". That's the whole point...everybody will say they are the Mastermind. That's what the scene from Spartacus is showing.

ety

Dec 11, 2023
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
"I'm Spartacus, no I'm Spartacus". That's the whole point...everybody will say they are the Mastermind. That's what the scene from Spartacus is showing.
No, people will say they are innocent, not masterminds, if they are arrested somehow.

Hamartia Antidote

Elite Member
Nov 17, 2013
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
I guess you watch too much TV drama.

It happened. He was never identified. So 6000 men got crucified to make sure he was gone.

China planning on doing that..and have the world frown on them? You see my point on why this law is setting them up for a PR fail?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread