Chinese EVs ‘compete very well’ on price and quality, even with extra EU tariffs: Expert

Menthol

Aug 2, 2017
In my opinion, starting from today.

Chinese car manufacturers should start testing, training, and mapping the street all around the world for the autonomous driving system, to be available in most countries.

The longer Chinese car manufacturers wait, the less impact Chinese car will made in the future.

When China is ready to sell their car in full swing, it's already too late, because other brands are already catching up.

Beijingwalker

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2011
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Europe is never an united entity

Norway won’t join EU on Chinese EV tariffs​

Jiri Opletal
June 14, 2024

Norway, a pioneer in electric vehicle adoption, will not align with the EU’s decision to impose higher tariffs on Chinese electric cars, according to Finance Minister Trygve Slagsvold Vedum.

“Introducing tariffs on Chinese cars is neither relevant nor desirable for this government,” Vedum emailed Bloomberg.

With the highest density of electric vehicles globally, Norway saw 24% of its cars being electric last year, and over 80% of new vehicles sold in 2022 were EVs, as reported by Statistics Norway.

According to The Norwegian Road Federation (OFV), more than 12% of EVs imported into Norway come from Chinese manufacturers, a figure that includes Polestar but excludes Volvo Car vehicles.

Norway, which is not part of the European Union, was the first European market for many Chinese EV startups. Nio entered Norway in May 2021, a year before officially launching in the EU. Xpeng launched in Norway even earlier, in 2020. Norway is also home to some Chinese brands that are very rare in Europe, such as Dongfeng’s brand Voyah, which has been selling its SUV Free there since 2022.

Xpeng sold 67 cars, and Nio sold 66 cars in Norway in May. For comparison, Tesla sold 830 EVs in the same month, while Volkswagen sold 1,372 units of its electric ID. series.

The China EV leaders in Norway are SAIC and Geely Group. MG delivered 497 EVs in Norway last month. MG, a former British brand, belongs to state-owned SAIC, which has been subjected to an additional 38.1% tariffs in the EU since July 4, on top of the 10% tariffs already in place. Polestar, which is Geely Group owned, sold 328 EVs in May. All MG and Polestar EVs are China-made.

The UK, another European non-EU member, hasn’t yet hinted if it will follow EU policy on hiking tariffs on China-made EVs.

On June 12, the European Commission (EC) concluded that China-made EVs benefit from unfair state subsidies. As a result, EC announced additional import duties on China-made EVs ranging from 17.4% to 38.1%, depending on the automaker.

Beijingwalker

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2011
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
So funny that Chinese cars, which were almost non existent barely couples of years ago, now make the whole west shaking in their boots in fear.

Yellow is Okay

Dec 14, 2023
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
In my opinion, starting from today.

Chinese car manufacturers should start testing, training, and mapping the street all around the world for the autonomous driving system, to be available in most countries.

The longer Chinese car manufacturers wait, the less impact Chinese car will made in the future.

When China is ready to sell their car in full swing, it's already too late, because other brands are already catching up.
Mapping the streets of cities worldwide requires resources beyond what any company possesses. It's usually the local companies who undertake these tasks, and the resulting data are often offered to foreign companies seeking to enter those markets. Even BYD lacks the resources to establish charging stations across Southeast Asia, instead, these infrastructures are being built by SEA companies.

S10

Nov 13, 2009
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
And who do you think are the aficionados of European Luxury goods in China?
I suspect WAG’s of hard working CCP officials :rolleyes:
Heh I see you're stuck in the early 2000's. Might want to pull your head out of your ass because Chinese consumer's taste long changed.

dbc

INT'L MOD
Jan 31, 2009
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Heh I see you're stuck in the early 2000's. Might want to pull your head out of your ass because Chinese consumer's taste long changed.
I have no interest in Chinese consumer taste. However, I have met a few CCP officials and their partners at social gatherings mostly diplomats and high ranking officials so I do know they are partial to European luxury brands.
Although I will admit this is pre-pandemic before I moved back to the US from Europe in 2019.

And please don't use crude language on this forum.This is not the old PDF, we enforce forum rules here.

Yommie

Elite Member
Oct 2, 2013
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Chinese cars have come a long way. 20 years ago, Chinese cars were the laughing stock of the world. Fast forward to today, no one is laughing at Chinese cars. There's just no way Western cars can compete with Chinese cars in Global South. Chinese have far stronger work ethic compared to Westerners. Chinese don't even take weekends off.

Last edited:

S10

Nov 13, 2009
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
I have no interest in Chinese consumer taste. However, I have met a few CCP officials and their partners at social gatherings mostly diplomats and high ranking officials so I do know they are partial to European luxury brands.
Although I will admit this is pre-pandemic before I moved back to the US from Europe in 2019.

And please don't use crude language on this forum.This is not the old PDF, we enforce forum rules here.
Cool story bro

Menthol

Aug 2, 2017
Chinese EV lacks of brand image and awareness.

Despite it's better, but people see it as inferior and risky products.

Of all Chinese EV in Europe, the successful one is MG.

The funny thing, outside Europe, MG is not so successful, the reason, brand image and awareness too.

Brand image and awareness are very important.

Menthol

Aug 2, 2017
Chinese cars have come a long way. 20 years ago, Chinese cars were the laughing stock of the world. Fast forward to today, no one is laughing at Chinese cars. There's just no way Western cars can compete with Chinese cars in Global South. Chinese have far stronger work ethic compared to Westerners. Chinese don't even take weekends off.

Yes, they are.

Many countries want to build a car company.

But hardly as successful as China.

Not just building a car company, but also able to create cars that can complete with Western and Japanese cars.

Menthol

Aug 2, 2017

Yes, China see European cars are the best in the world.

Chinese cars are actually developed based on European car standard, instead of Japanese or USA.

Menthol

Aug 2, 2017
Mapping the streets of cities worldwide requires resources beyond what any company possesses. It's usually the local companies who undertake these tasks, and the resulting data are often offered to foreign companies seeking to enter those markets. Even BYD lacks the resources to establish charging stations across Southeast Asia, instead, these infrastructures are being built by SEA companies.

Yes.

Since it needs time and requires a lot of efforts, they so should start it today.

Yommie

Elite Member
Oct 2, 2013
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
It will take time for Chinese brand to be accepted in Europe.

In term of marketing, China still lacks behind.

Exactly. Chinese cars been selling in Russia for many years but only since 2022 when Western companies left Russia did Chinese cars gain traction in Russia. Chinese marketing is sub par compared to Western marketing.

Last edited:

Yommie

Elite Member
Oct 2, 2013
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Compared to the West, China has huge natural and human resources. Also, not a lot of people in the West study STEM anymore. And that puts China at a significant advantage when it comes to cars. For every engineer the West can muster, China can muster several.

Hamartia Antidote

Elite Member
Nov 17, 2013
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
It will take time for Chinese brand to be accepted in Europe.

In term of marketing, China still lacks behind.

Right now the top selling Made in China EVs are Teslas (almost half) and Chinese owned MGs. I think Dacia #3 with a small slice.

Users who are viewing this thread