Durga Puja gift: Bangladesh interim government to export 3,000 tonnes of hilsa to Bengal

MNZGamerX

Reaction score
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Earlier this month, the interim government in Bangladesh had decided to stop ilish export to India, ostensibly to meet the domestic demand and control domestic prices. That decision threatened to end a tradition nurtured by ousted Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina

Kinsuk Basu, Subhasish Chaudhuri Calcutta

1726445304_hilsa.jpg

Bengal will not be denied its plate of Padmar ilish this Puja season, after all.

The interim government in Bangladesh has decided to export 3,000 tonnes of ilish (hilsa) to Bengal “on the occasion of the upcoming Durga Puja”, junking its earlier decision not to send across the border one of the state’s most loved varieties of fish.

The Bangladesh commerce ministry released a notification on Saturday seeking applications by September 24 noon from traders who wish to export ilish to Bengal.

Signed by Sultana Akhtar of the commerce ministry, the notification refers to permission to export 3,000 tonnes of ilish.

Bengal will not be denied its plate of Padmar ilish this Puja season, after all.

The interim government in Bangladesh has decided to export 3,000 tonnes of ilish (hilsa) to Bengal “on the occasion of the upcoming Durga Puja”, junking its earlier decision not to send across the border one of the state’s most loved varieties of fish.

The Bangladesh commerce ministry released a notification on Saturday seeking applications by September 24 noon from traders who wish to export ilish to Bengal.

Signed by Sultana Akhtar of the commerce ministry, the notification refers to permission to export 3,000 tonnes of ilish.

“The export approval is based on appeals made by Indian exporters, subject to certain conditions,” it says.

Copies of the notification have been sent to the Bangladesh high commissioner’s office in New Delhi and the deputy high commissioner’s office in Calcutta.

“The notification doesn’t mention a timetable for the export... we believe there will be a separate one outlining the timeframe,” said Syed Anwar Maqsood, secretary of the Fish Importer’s Association (FIA) in Calcutta.

“But it has in principle been decided that Bengal will receive ilish from Bangladesh this festive season, and that’s reason enough to celebrate.”

Last year, the Bangladesh commerce ministry had allowed 79 fish exporters to send 3,950 tonnes of ilish to India as a Durga Puja gesture. Importers said only 1,300 tonnes eventually reached the state. In 2022, the same volume of ilish had arrived in Bengal from Bangladesh.

Fish importers in Calcutta and Howrah said they had been importing ilish from Bangladesh since 1996.

Earlier this month, the interim government in Bangladesh had decided to stop ilish export to India, ostensibly to meet the domestic demand and control domestic prices. That decision threatened to end a tradition nurtured by ousted Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina.

Within days of the decision, ilish importers from Bengal wrote to Touhid Hossain, an adviser to the Bangladesh government, seeking a rethink.

“...We seek your kind intervention and request you to please allow export of hilsa fish for Durga Puja. It may be worthy to note that the hilsa from Bangladesh is in great demand amongst connoisseurs of fish in West Bengal, Assam and Tripura,” the letter, signed by Maqsood, said.

Kartick Chakraborty, secretary of the Petrapole Clearing Agents Staff Welfare Association, said: “There were concerns about India-Bangladesh relations souring after Sheikh Hasina’s exit, but this move will help rebuild trust.”

The impending arrival of ilish from Bangladesh has sparked hopes of a drop in prices. Currently, Padma ilish weighing over 1kg, brought in through unofficial channels, is selling for around ₹2,000 a kg.

“We expect prices to fall once the first consignment arrives, hopefully by next week,” an FIA member said.

Sources in Bangladesh suggested the export ban was motivated partly by the surge in anti-India sentiments in the country following the fall of Hasina. So, what led to the change of heart?

“It’s become clear to the interim government that bowing to the anti-India sentiments among a large section of the Bangladeshi people would not eventually benefit the country,” a Bangladeshi exporter said.

“India’s decision to continue onion exports to Bangladesh, despite a global shortage, may have influenced this decision, too. India supplies up to 800,000 tonnes of onions to Bangladesh annually, and the interim government probably didn’t want to jeopardise this relationship.”

On Saturday, ilish lovers in Calcutta were rejoicing.

“The news is an absolute delight for an ilish lover like me. They say that a Bengali can forget everything but not the taste of ilish maachher jhol,” said restaurateur Anjan Chatterjee.

Here we have another similarity between the policies of the Awami League and the current CG in Bangladesh. The CG originally made promises this wouldn't happen but this is yet another broken promise. I am still not impressed by the so called reformist agenda of the CG which now looks non-existent and what is being done is superficial and cosmetic.

Here we have another similarity between the policies of the Awami League and the current CG in Bangladesh. The CG originally made promises this wouldn't happen but this is yet another broken promise. I am still not impressed by the so called reformist agenda of the CG which now looks non-existent and what is being done is superficial and cosmetic.
Perhaps they are also facing the reality of what is a very entrenched and tuned AL presence in every aspect of state and cannot be changed overnight @Afif ?

The CG advisors doesn't appear to be aligned. One just publicly said there won't be any Hilsha export the other day and now this.

If they wanted to export, what was the point of saying no earlier. This makes the CG advisors look very weak and disorganized. CG advisors made a fool of themselves.

Looks like groups have formed within the advisors, with each group pushing their own ideological agenda. I am saying this from observing the overall situation, not just this particular event.

Perhaps they are also facing the reality of what is a very entrenched and tuned AL presence in every aspect of state and cannot be changed overnight @Afif ?

They are not even really trying to make any attempt to change the entrenched and tuned AL presence in every aspect of state. While the top people have fled or are being detained the middle and lower levels all remain in their places. The CG seems to be doing politics rather than trying to implement revolutionary change. For example in the judiciary why have all the corrupt and controversial High Court judges been allowed to remain in their positions? The CJ even said that none of these judges will be removed otherwise he would resign or something along those lines.

This CG is merely a power play by the likes of Asif Nazrul, Adilur Rahman Khan, Attorney General Assaduzzaman and CJ Rifat who all belong to the same unethical and corrupt panel and have been adopting the same tactics and methods as the previous AL government. One may also add Farhad Mazhar (from the outside) and his wife who is going ahead with this hilsha policy when she originally promised not to.

In essence the Asif Nazrul clique are just like Ahmed Chalabi of Iraq who made promises to the Americans that if they toppled Saddam Hussein and installed him (Chalabi) in power he would change the country for the better. We all know what happened next. The current CG in Bangladesh is a joke and a betrayal of the aspirations of the people and the revolution of August 5.

Last edited:

I don't think so. I mean yes, they are still in lots of places. (From mid to low level) But mostly what they are doing is trying to cause trouble at each steps. But not strong enough to proactively influence policies. Definitely not at high level like this. This government already made several decisions previously and then said, oops, sorry, i changed my mind.

I am keeping a close eye on it but not too much to worry about IMO.

Critiques has to wait and see before comparing it post Saddam Iraq. (Lol)

It's not so easy to change the vast mid to low level entrenched existing structure. Not gonna happen overnight. BAL made it over 16 years. And I has its inertia.

As for reform agenda, first those six commissions has to start their work, publish that in three months and then after a grand negotiation with political parties and civil society stake holders, government will determine the extent of reform to be undertaken by interim government. (Then it is supposed to continue with the elected government) this is the roadmap given by Yunus in his speech. Those commissions will finish their work by the end of this year. And then we may start to see some of those long terms fundemental reforms being the undertaken that are being constantly talked about. In the meantime all focus is on law & order and economy.

At least a year is required to effectively judge the success and failure of this interim government. I don't know what impression this fora giving you. But overall, the vast majority in BD civil society still seems to believe in the overall Goodwill of this interim government. (Whether they will succeed or not is a different matter.)

Personally, I am happy that intelligence agency will not show up at my doorstep in middle of night because of my activities online and offline. That is an improvement heh.

Last edited:
Today I remember Asif Nazrul very much. If he was alive, these 3000 tons of hilsa would have been in Bangladesh. 😂😂😂

460898140_863337049265420_4512255334006445293_n.jpg

What gift.
No-one is dying for Hilsa here.

No one dies for a not eating a fish you moron.

"Bangladesh has hit us where it hurts. It has banned the export of Padma Hilsa or Ilish to India a month before Durga Puja. The Hilsa is not just a fish. It is both an emotion and an initiation ritual."

In fact, i am surprised Bengalis on the other side making a big deal out of it.

No one dies for a not eating a fish you moron.

"Bangladesh has hit us where it hurts. It has banned the export of Padma Hilsa or Ilish to India a month before Durga Puja. The Hilsa is not just a fish. It is both an emotion and an initiation ritual."

Read the response of Bengalis laughing at the stupid article.

Only, if Asif sir were alive today🤣🤣

Look what he said about sending Hilsha to India in 2019. He argued that why were we sending 500 ton ilish to India when they were killing Bangladeshis on the border and not permitting water through Testa river etc ...

This is the two faced advisors we now have in Bangladesh. The Ahmed Chalabis of Bangladesh. The country is again near chaos and anyone who says otherwise is a liar or a fool or not even in the country.

460958391_863334909265634_5692358206062611596_n.jpg

My only complaint here is that why that women advisor opened her big mouth and said there will not be any export to India?

She should have kept her small month shut.

If she was forced to change her decision then she should have resign from her post but she turn out to be another hypocrite. No difference from Awami dalal leaguers. 😠

My only complaint here is that why that women advisor opened her big mouth and said there will not be any export to India?

She should have kept her small month shut.

If she was forced to change her decision then she should have resign from her post but she turn out to be another hypocrite. No difference from Awami dalal leaguers. 😠

Calm down. It was foreign ministry that made the request to reassess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Country Watch Latest

Latest Posts

Back