Forum Updates and DDoS attack

• Thread starter Thread starter X
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have blocked China and Russia except for some regions with more rigorous checks.

There is an increased level of security from USA as the biggest impact currently is from USA.

This bastard for example logged into the website 7.7 million times in the last 4 days

That is before he was blocked yesterday

Should cloudfare be able to block those bots, attackers? No?
It does, I shared the data before the Cloudflare came into rescue but the impact is huge. Someone planned this attack for a long time before doing it. There were 20,000 unique IP addresses from Russia, when I blocked Russia, the attacked started happening from Hong Kong, then Indonesia then India and now from USA.

Now cloudflare is blocking 99.99% of these bots but the hosting server is down after utilising too many resources. We can either wait or move to VPS so that we have increased resources. I am currently on a higher end of cloud hosting packages

Last edited:
I have blocked China and Russia except for some regions with more rigorous checks.

There is an increased level of security from USA as the biggest impact currently is from USA.

This bastard for example logged into the website 7.7 million times in the last 4 days

It does, it shared the data before the Cloudflare came into effect but the impact is huge. Someone planned this attack for a long time before doing it. There were 20,000 unique IP addresses from Russia, when I blocked Russia, the attacked started happening from Hong Kong, then Indonesia then India and now from USA.

Now cloudflare is blocking 99.99% of these bots but the hosting server is down after utilising too many resources. We can either wait or move to VPS so that we have increased resources. I am currently on a higher end of cloud hosting packages
Cloudflare blocks 99.99 percent but the service is down? Then moving the service to multiple virtual platforms is the only solution I guess. Physical servers always have limitations. How do Microsoft, Google or Amazon or x,y protect their sites against DoS?

Cloudflare blocks 99.99 percent but the service is down? Then moving the service to multiple virtual platforms is the only solution I guess. Physical servers always have limitations. How do Microsoft, Google or Amazon or x,y protect their sites against DoS?
We need to move on to Virtual Private Servers. We are left with no choice. But it requires significant funding and I have asked the management to come forward.

The site will be working for now - until the attackers find out new ways but we will be able to cope with the future attacks if we have more than our current resources

Who has the time and interest to do this ddos attack on a relativley obscure forum?

It doesn't matter but what the data shows is that the attack is ongoing. This screenshot is slightly old before some strategies were changed but it gives you a fair reflection of the reality of what's happening.

Screenshot 2024-07-22 153937.png

No clue what on earth is wrong with the forum these days. It doesn't let me in using phone or laptop. It's frustrating

Should cloudfare be able to block those bots, attackers? No?
It is blocking but due to this website being on cloud hosting. We don't have access to VPS and hence can't even restart the computer. So when the attack happens, the host gives up easily to protect other customers by temporarily making us unavailable.

VPS will resolve this issue when we have full control to the machine.

It does, I shared the data before the Cloudflare came into rescue but the impact is huge. Someone planned this attack for a long time before doing it. There were 20,000 unique IP addresses from Russia, when I blocked Russia, the attacked started happening from Hong Kong, then Indonesia then India and now from USA.

Can this be resolved by blocking all guest user for sometime, like web address leads to login/Register screen and only registered user after login can enter in this forum. Something like that.

Can this be resolved by blocking all guest user for sometime, like web address leads to login/Register screen and only registered user after login can enter in this forum. Something like that.
It was like that for most of the week. However, the bots were still able to access the landing page.

What people don't know is that if the website is down, sometimes other parts of the website are still accessible if they are logged in. For example, when we turn off the board for guests, they only access the landing page asking them to log in. But there could be 20 million bots on that page. It means real users can't access it either. But if they were logged in, there is a higher chance that they can still access some other pages not affected by the bots.

PS: Please make sure to copy your content before pressing the post button as you will be repeatedly asked for verification

I frequent other forums that are a lot more popular . They have never been taken down in this manner.

I had a tough time accessing to the forum today on the data. It was agonizing.

I frequent other forums that are a lot more popular . They have never been taken down in this manner.
depends on the nature of attacks.

We were attacked DDoS about 3-4 months ago for the first time. We were down by 30 minutes max

It is not just the DDoS but my hosting resources were exceeded so they are punishing me for that with minimum tolerance level whenever it peaks

So ,
Should we be blaming Microsoft and Crowdstrike for the forum going Haywire in last 1 week
Or is it the usual state actors trying to silence PTIans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Pakistan Defence Latest

Back