Forum Updates and DDoS attack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could this DDoS attack leak our IPs and other information?

PS. I love Gen. Asim Munir.
DoS attacks of any kind dont leak information, just block the service (DoS = Denial of Service, DDoS = Distributed Denial of Service).

But IP addresses are relatively easy to discover in a forum by other users. Just a user post a image in his hosting, and all the users ip addresses who load the post will be in that hosting log. Or just posting a URL in a own hosting, all the ip addresses who visit the url will be logged in the url hosting.

So if you have concerns about your IP address, visit forums with a VPN.

Anyway, a IP address alone is useless to get more information than the ISP (internet service provider) that you use (and what's your country from where you're connected).

IP address can be use to hack only if you have public services open in it (rare in most of users).

And IP address, like web services, can be always target for a DoS. i.e: If someone knows your ip address, he can block your internet connection until you reconnect and change the IP.

IP address is like have a telephone number, it always can be blocked if you call from one millions telephones to that number at the same time (that's a DDoS).

But normal users have dynamic ip address and it changes in every internet session.

Nonsense doesn't help the forum, does it ?. Admin himself said the attacking IPs are now originating from Hong Kong and China (scroll back few pages) and I was replying to that.

By the way, the infamous Great Firewall of China is going live in Pakistan very soon, and this might be your ISI folks under training in China, trying out their new skills.

Nah you are p@jeet

All that stink that is usually associated with p@jeets comes from you

I notice Cloudflare is not working properly.
It requests users to check the box to prove “you are a human”, even those are same users revisit the site. Should be avoided. In doing so by Cloudflare everything will slow down unnecessary.

DoS attacks of any kind dont leak information, just block the service (DoS = Denial of Service, DDoS = Distributed Denial of Service).

But IP addresses are relatively easy to discover in a forum by other users. Just a user post a image in his hosting, and all the users ip addresses who load the post will be in that hosting log. Or just posting a URL in a own hosting, all the ip addresses who visit the url will be logged in the url hosting.

So if you have concerns about your IP address, visit forums with a VPN.

Anyway, a IP address alone is useless to get more information than the ISP (internet service provider) that you use (and what's your country from where you're connected).

IP address can be use to hack only if you have public services open in it (rare in most of users).

And IP address, like web services, can be always target for a DoS. i.e: If someone knows your ip address, he can block your internet connection until you reconnect and change the IP.

IP address is like have a telephone number, it always can be blocked if you call from one millions telephones to that number at the same time (that's a DDoS).

But normal users have dynamic ip address and it changes in every internet session.

Thanks for the explanation; I've never been the technical kind when it comes to PCs, etc., so this puts my mind at ease. :)

Why people are thinking this attack from govt organisation just because the level of attack is huge??? I don't think this forum is anti-govt. by any mean. Here nothing anti-govt. is going on, infact it's more pro-govt. then the actual forum which was targeted. This is probably someone'e personal grudge or maybe practice working at best.

Anyway It won't last long as DDoS/DoS is not cheap at this level of intensity. The current team is working hard and hopefully come out of this soon and things will be fine again. Special Thanks to Forum Team.

Why people are thinking this attack from govt organisation just because the level of attack is huge??? I don't think this forum is anti-govt. by any mean. Here nothing anti-govt. is going on, infact it's more pro-govt. then the actual forum which was targeted. This is probably someone'e personal grudge or maybe practice working at best.

Anyway It won't last long as DDoS/DoS is not cheap at this level of intensity. The current team is working hard and hopefully come out of this soon and things will be fine again. Special Thanks to Forum Team.

Since the beginning of Internet, DDoS were always affordable for individual hackers with a average knowledge (not so much) about networking.
I remember 20 years ago when people scanned broadcast networks to make DDoS attacks with common connections (papasmurf script).

Today it's even more easier, because common people have fiber optic connections with large amount of bandwidth.

The question is, why would a individual to try to block a military forum? It's more likely a state actor.

But it's not due to a technical thing, it's due to a cui bono thing.

A individual hacker has not profit in attacking a forum of this kind.

Thanks for the explanation; I've never been the technical kind when it comes to PCs, etc., so this puts my mind at ease. :)
but keep in mind, if someone wants to damage this forum in any kind, he can try another kind of attacks where information leak could be possible.

so it's always recommendable: dont use your main mail address when your register in forums, and dont use the same password in the forum than in another sites.

recently protests happened in Bangladesh, with internet cuts in that country due to that. Maybe something was published here that it wasn't liked by someone.

This is unlikely to be the case. A rival PDF forum has continued to operate without issue. This is probably someone with a personal grudge.

Rival forum is Army controlled which is still running after threatening the previous webmaster so much he had to disband it.

Nah you are p@jeet

All that stink that is usually associated with p@jeets comes from you
Areesh, you are free to sniff as much stink as you want, absolutely no issues.

Forum is under DDos attack, MrX is fighting to save the forum - these are not the times to troll fellow members.

They change their source IP of their IP dump because the admin is taking action.

Whoever is attacking were more than likely using script to generate user and attack that way. That mean two things.

1.) They are serious and intentionally prolong this attack, which mean there are goal they are trying to achieve and that had not reached yet.

2.) They know what they are doing, and probably know the layout of the forum structure.

I think you don't just need a VPS, you need a full time administrator (or at least a team of part time administrator) to fend off these attack.

Rival forum is Army controlled which is still running after threatening the previous webmaster so much he had to disband it.
This DDos is part of Azm-e-Ishtekam. It's a multi-prong operation in Physical world as well as in Cyberspace ( courtesy sweeter than honey, higher than himalayas friend).

They are disrupting Twitter, Whatsapp and appear to be going after any platform that can be used to criticize their kingdom including PDF.

They will not stop, any platform not under their boot is PTI-supporter and anti-national

Hmmm...

Who could this dirty trick be from?

Well this forum is a bastion of free speech, especially against the genocide in Gaza and the pointless US proxy-war in Ukraine.

Thank you to the admin team for all your hard work to get this site back up and running.

Last edited:
This is likely as these are commonly used proxys used for malware attacks. The real location/IP could be anywhere.

Exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Pakistan Defence Latest

Back