Govt, SIFC launch strategy to combat grey market

FOOLS_NIGHTMARE

Elite Member
Reaction score
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
New measures aim to boost GDP growth and stabilize currency exchange rates
1725093511299.png
The federal government of Pakistan, in collaboration with the Special Investment Facilitation Council (SIFC), has developed a new strategy to curb grey market activities. The State Bank of Pakistan and the Federal Board of Revenue have been instructed to launch a campaign against informal channels.

Grey market operations are reportedly impacting various sectors including industry, trade, finance, and health through unauthorized imports. This affects local manufacturers' market share and profitability.

To increase investment, the FBR is expected to digitize its revenue machinery and reorganize its structure. According to SIFC, these measures could potentially increase the GDP growth rate from the current 9% to 18% by 2029.

Currently, the grey market is selling one US dollar for 284 Pakistani rupees, while the interbank rate is below 280 rupees. The government has directed the Treasury Secretary to restore cash-over-counter facilities at National Bank branches and border booths.

Authorities emphasize that controlling the grey market is crucial for economic recovery. The SIFC's efforts are aimed at establishing a secure and stable Pakistani economy.

What are these guys smoking? Hazrat Asim Muneer’s smelly socks?
@ziaulislam @PakFactor @Wood

Pichwara blows. It has never touched 9% in the last 34 years, so I don't know how they got that starting number.

Thank God for my connections; the Hawala network is still strong. I don't have to go through the maskeen channels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back