• English is the official language of this forum. Posts in other languages will receive a warning, except in threads where foreign languages are permitted.

Help identifying a helicopter

GoMig-21

Elite Member
Oct 16, 2016
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
In comparison I found Aegean Hawks flying over my area. Screenshots are from a video I took:

View attachment 52239

Yep, this is a great example. You can actually see the contour & shape of the S-70B better in this lighting than in the pics in your post above, where you see more color, but more distortion and less focal detail.

1719763023474.png

The color is gone, but the outline is much crisper in this pic.

VCheng

RETIRED MOD
Sep 19, 2010
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Maybe fellas who photograph a lot more than I do like can explain it better like @VCheng or @j_hungary , how low lighting conditions give more definition to the overall shape but don't pick up colors very well as opposed to strong lighting which creates distortion and affects the focal point & details but shows color better.

You are correct, lighting (and shadowing) can change a photograph (including perceived colors) drastically.

Foinikas

Elite Member
Aug 1, 2021
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Yep, this is a great example. You can actually see the contour & shape of the S-70B better in this lighting than in the pics in your post above, where you see more color, but more distortion and less focal detail.

View attachment 52273

The color is gone, but the outline is much crisper in this pic.
I gotta say,you did an extensive research. That post earlier,it was stunning. Very good job!

Foinikas

Elite Member
Aug 1, 2021
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Yes, right. That's a phenomenon called...............photography! lool but seriously, it's an actual occurrence even to the eye, but especially as a result of the lighting conditions. It's much more common on days where there's excess overcast. When there's not enough light illuminating the subject, the colors don't reflect back so you don't see any or see less would be a better description.

I learned about this from doing a lot of hawk-watching and believe it or not, we learned through the years that the overcast days are better for seeing and identifying the different raptors than beautiful, sunny days. The sun & the bright light from it actually creates heat distortion (mostly during cold temperatures with great sunlight) and that heat distortion affects the focusing of the subject. The opposite is created with overcast days or lowlight conditions, we see the outline MUCH better and can identify the birds a lot clearer because there's no heat distortion, but at the same time because of the lack of light, the shape is dark overall, but the contour edges are well-defined. So we can see pointy wings vs rounded, broad wings better. Longer tails vs shorter tails & size differences etc. which helps identify species. Hard to explain but it's really a fascinating phenomenon.

Maybe fellas who photograph a lot more than I do like can explain it better like @VCheng or @j_hungary , how low lighting conditions give more definition to the overall shape but don't pick up colors very well as opposed to strong lighting which creates distortion and affects the focal point & details but shows color better.

Like this pic here. Obviously the first one was an Apache which is black anyway. But this is an NH90TTH and you can clearly see some overcast which is affecting the colors, focus & surface details yet the profile (shape) is almost perfectly defined.

View attachment 52271
Actually I should have clarified it earlier. The Aegean Hawks and the Chinook both passed above my area.Very close actually. The silver-blue camo of the Aegean Hawks can be easily seen,but the helicopters that passed the other day were black or dark colored at least,just like all the others. I'm thinking...what if they took some MH-60R and haven't had the chance to put the new camo yet? Really weird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Pakistan Defence Latest