India - China Relations

Nilgiri

INT'L MOD
Reaction score
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
A thread to post anything related to India - China relations.

Defence, geopolitics, current affairs, history, travel blogs and vlogs etc and member experiences/interactions related to the subject.

Xuanzang in front of Wild Goose Pagoda, Xi'an.
Statue_of_Xuanzang_in_front_of_Giant_Wild_Goose_Pagoda._Xi'an._2011.jpg

I did not know there was a Chinese kolaveri also. I thought all was kumbaya in Xi land .

Are you referring to the mainland vs Hong Kong thing. Joe kindly indulge a brief detour.

Cheers, Doc

There is a fairly substantial number of disgruntled mainlanders (relatively new arrivals to North America) to add to the Taiwanese, Hong Kongers and pre-civil war emigre descendants etc.

Lot traces back to specifics w.r.t why China at its most contained/sheltered was not simply a North Korea scaled up a 100 times (as much as Mao did try)....and the further divergence post-Mao era.

Some here turn banana so become largely irrelevant and uninterested entirely w.r.t this topic (and I prefer talking about Western related stuff with such folks), like coconut for desi etc....but I'm talking about those that remain vested closely for various reasons.

If you study the CCP factions (especially post Mao when things loosened up), there are many indications of the reasons behind this, both faction wise and undercurrent wise (supporting the factions). In the end without sounding too Jungian, it has to do with what social conservatism is and how it evolved and evolves in the Chinese context (and the world context too).

While the path (post-Mao) was pretty clear and trajectory fairly easy to accomplish, these issues were more easily and largely swept to nominal sideshow (also coincided with HK handover and Taiwan normalisation push and bonhomie and overall improvement of PRC relations with larger world etc, especially trade and commerce with wealthier, knowledge rich West).

Now things are not so open and clear, trajectories are perceptibly far slower....things getting squeezed again big time by Xi, so the "regular/prog/lib/new" mainlander consternation/angst % is waxing and creating divides with more conservative/loyalist types.

mobilis in mobili like my signature....the larger vessel speed slows down, so movements within become more relevant..... old scores pop up and renew related to how they always have in human society, Chinese one no different. What caused what exactly boils down to chicken and the egg problem too.

When @Joe Shearer says "the damage done", it reminded me of even older Chinese friend I had (he was father of close friend) and number of experiences and pain he had with the CCP....and the way he saw things well after (that Joe only slowly seeing take shape in India now). He would only every really express it to me in Cantonese idioms (with some added refinements of his), of which the Chinese are unsurpassed in the world.

I might get into some of that later. That might unpack more of what I mean. Its very similar in end to what Joe perceives shifting in India....but its fait accompli there in the mainland, or is it?

Thread may interest @VCheng @Jungibaaz @Waj Sal @Fatman17 and others too.

There is a fairly substantial number of disgruntled mainlanders (relatively new arrivals to North America) to add to the Taiwanese, Hong Kongers and pre-civil war emigre descendants etc.

Lot traces back to specifics w.r.t why China at its most contained/sheltered was not simply a North Korea scaled up a 100 times (as much as Mao did try)....and the further divergence post-Mao era.

Some here turn banana so become largely irrelevant and uninterested entirely w.r.t this topic (and I prefer talking about Western related stuff with such folks), like coconut for desi etc....but I'm talking about those that remain vested closely for various reasons.

If you study the CCP factions (especially post Mao when things loosened up), there are many indications of the reasons behind this, both faction wise and undercurrent wise (supporting the factions). In the end without sounding too Jungian, it has to do with what social conservatism is and how it evolved and evolves in the Chinese context (and the world context too).

While the path (post-Mao) was pretty clear and trajectory fairly easy to accomplish, these issues were more easily and largely swept to nominal sideshow (also coincided with HK handover and Taiwan normalisation push and bonhomie and overall improvement of PRC relations with larger world etc, especially trade and commerce with wealthier, knowledge rich West).

Now things are not so open and clear, trajectories are perceptibly far slower....things getting squeezed again big time by Xi, so the "regular/prog/lib/new" mainlander consternation/angst % is waxing and creating divides with more conservative/loyalist types.

mobilis in mobili like my signature....the larger vessel speed slows down, so movements within become more relevant..... old scores pop up and renew related to how they always have in human society, Chinese one no different. What caused what exactly boils down to chicken and the egg problem too.

When @Joe Shearer says "the damage done", it reminded me of even older Chinese friend I had (he was father of close friend) and number of experiences and pain he had with the CCP....and the way he saw things well after (that Joe only slowly seeing take shape in India now). He would only every really express it to me in Cantonese idioms (with some added refinements of his), of which the Chinese are unsurpassed in the world.

I might get into some of that later. That might unpack more of what I mean. Its very similar in end to what Joe perceives shifting in India....but its fait accompli there in the mainland, or is it?

Will peruse with interest in between putting out fires elsewhere.

A thread to post anything related to India - China relations.

Defence, geopolitics, current affairs, history, travel blogs and vlogs etc and member experiences/interactions related to the subject.

Xuanzang in front of Wild Goose Pagoda, Xi'an.
View attachment 7275

Will this include any discussions about the history and evolution of territorial disputes?

Will this include any discussions about the history and evolution of territorial disputes?

It can over time. Will have to see how the thread evolves as catch-all for India-China stuff. Of course fairly moderated under this new beginning *fingers crossed*.

If so, I would like a tuppence contributed (not by me)to a major shift in Chinese thinking about ethnicity and inclusiveness.

If we take away the paradigm shift that the Qing/Manchu brought about, that leaves for revision of classification of nearly 60% of Chinese land mass acquired by colonial acquisition, ironically a 60% that reflects a defeated Nehru's views about Aksai Chin .
Some justification exists for counting Qing Hai and Gansu as colonial acquisitions. That is the limit of cheeky reminding, and the province with the hottest sauce is best not even mentioned ;-)

If so, I would like a tuppence contributed (not by me)to a major shift in Chinese thinking about ethnicity and inclusiveness.

Chinese inclusivity can be succinctly described as inherently exclusive, dare I throw in my farthing and a half. .

I'm not an expert on India-China relationship but I'm a expert tourist to both HK and the mainland. The most significant difference in pre and post handover HK was/ is the attitude of the HK-ers towards the mainland and its people. My main interaction was with HK Taxi drivers and young people and the majority of this segment view the handover to China very negatively. The older people seem to be less concerned about the political change in HK politics. I would go so far to say that they might be happy in a covertly way.
In mainland China it is generally very difficult to talk about politics and then there is the language issue.
For a tourist like me l love HK whether its pre or post handover. Hopefully it stays that way.

Chinese inclusivity can be succinctly described as inherently exclusive, dare I throw in my farthing and a half. .
You may well be right. I will go with @Nilgiri's vivid reconstruction of the Hakka, for instance, and the civil churn in China. Let's hear him out.

Yes but some basic context would be good.

Not everyone who is interested in China is a longtime Sinophile.

@Nilgiri

Cheers, Doc

How substantial?

_20230605135621-jpg.5984

I don't what kind of "damage" you Indian guys are talking about China. But China had meteoric rise and registered the fastest growth in the whole human history for the past 2 decades if not longer, this is a well recognised fact globally.

ChinaLeaders.1569213482463.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back