India’s Quiet Push to Steal More of China’s iPhone Business

Apple moves closer to China despite supply chain shifts

Japan, Taiwan and U.S. supplier numbers dip as iPhone maker expands in Southeast Asia
CHENG TING-FANG and LAULY LI, Nikkei Asia tech correspondentsAPRIL 26, 2024 04:00 JST
APRIL 26, 2024 04:00 JST

微信图片_20240426121708.jpg

TAIPEI -- Apple is deepening its ties with China even as it further expands production in Southeast Asia and India, highlighting the balancing act the iPhone maker is striking between politics and business.

Apple increased its China-headquartered suppliers and Chinese manufacturing sites in 2023 while using fewer suppliers from Taiwan, the U.S., Japan and South Korea, a Nikkei Asia analysis of Apple's latest official list of suppliers shows.

Too many wrong data
According to Bloomberg, TechInsights' disassembly confirmed
Huawei's new phone PURA70
The chip is Kirin 9010 7nm process from SMIC
NAND storage from Yangtze Memory Technologies Co
6.6-inch OLED straight screen from BOE, Visionox

The deeper layer regarding value addition tiers though is still early days for PRC.

2022, PRC imports/licenses about 44 billion USD in intellectual property from the world, while earning about 13 billion USD. (net = minus 31 billion USD)

Japan the numbers are 28 and 47 billion respectively (net = positive 19 billion USD)

US the numbers are 53 and 127 (net = positive 74).

These numbers reflect in the actual value addition, for example the huge jump in PRC in last few years on IP export side correlates well with huawei switchgear tech advances.....i.e stuff where PRC has developed a more genuine competitive edge.

i.e there are things involved much more than sum of component parts which have much more nominal profit margin (from deepest IP side of things)....not to mention the services sector side of things as well that provide even more sustainable value addition long term in the new emerging sectors.

i.e all the layers past raw production throughput that many/most people get transfixed on.

You can actually see this in the composition of what PRC imports regarding integrated circuits compared to what it exports (in 2022, this was a net negative still too....compared to say broadcast/comms electronics as UN WTO classifies these).

So the throughput stuff is up for grabs increasingly. GDP estimates (incl raw exports, import numbers) only really correlate to throughput....rather than the deeper look into things.

@j_hungary @dbc @Hamartia Antidote

I have said many times Chibese are getting poor and more and more are not able to afford iPhone. It is becoming luxury items. Different between rich and poor is growing in China.

The deeper layer regarding value addition tiers though is still early days for PRC.

2022, PRC imports/licenses about 44 billion USD in intellectual property from the world, while earning about 13 billion USD. (net = minus 31 billion USD)

Japan the numbers are 28 and 47 billion respectively (net = positive 19 billion USD)

These numbers reflect in the actual value addition, for example the huge jump in PRC in last few years on IP export side correlates well with huawei switchgear tech advances.....i.e stuff where PRC has developed a more genuine competitive edge.

i.e there are things involved much more than sum of component parts which have much more nominal profit margin (from deepest IP side of things)....not to mention the services sector side of things as well that provide even more sustainable value addition long term in the new emerging sectors.

i.e all the layers past raw production throughput that many/most people get transfixed on.

You can actually see this in the composition of what PRC imports regarding integrated circuits compared to what it exports (in 2022, this was a net negative still too....compared to say broadcast/comms electronics as UN WTO classifies these).

So the throughput stuff is up for grabs increasingly. GDP estimates (incl raw exports, import numbers) only really correlate to throughput....rather than the deeper look into things.

However, from the perspective of trend, China's trend is upward,
The curve of intellectual property imports began to decline, while the export curve is rising
For example, China's integrated circuit import volume
2021 is $ 439.7 billion
2022 is $ 415.6 billion
2023 is $ 349.3 billion

However, from the perspective of trend, China's trend is upward,
The curve of intellectual property imports began to decline, while the export curve is rising
For example, China's integrated circuit import volume
2021 is $ 439.7 billion
2022 is $ 415.6 billion
2023 is $ 349.3 billion
Various factors have contributed to this deceleration, including global economic uncertainties, supply chain disruptions, and domestic challenges. While the decline in import volume might suggest advancements in domestic production capabilities, the broader economic context indicates that this slowdown is also influenced by external economic pressures and internal structural adjustments.

Various factors have contributed to this deceleration, including global economic uncertainties, supply chain disruptions, and domestic challenges. While the decline in import volume might suggest advancements in domestic production capabilities, the broader economic context indicates that this slowdown is also influenced by external economic pressures and internal structural adjustments.
The import volume of integrated circuits in 2022 is 538.4 billion
The import volume of integrated circuits in 2023 is 479.5 billion
Import volume decreased by 58.9 billion
China's production of integrated circuits in 2022 is 324.1 billion
China's production of integrated circuits in 2023 is 364.4 billion
Production increased by 40.3 billion
Yes, the reduction in demand has an impact on imports, but obviously, the impact of the increase in domestic chip production is far greater than the reduction in demand

Most Components Are Still Made In Cina.China Has Complete Value Chains Within It's Borders.It Has A Manufacturing Ecosystem Developed Over 4 Decades.India Does Not Have That.All It Will Take Is For Xi Is To Impose Export Duties On Those Components Or Even Ban Them Completely
Not as much as you think

Whoa!

Need to read this carefully a couple of more times.

I have said many times Chibese are getting poor and more and more are not able to afford iPhone. It is becoming luxury items. Different between rich and poor is growing in China.
lOl, Compare to rich Indians , Chinese people are alway poor.

Guys stop putting repetitive posts up. Once is enough

steal? somebody needs lessons in language basics.

That aside, Xi has completely screwed up China in the name of broadening the wealth there. It was/is a noble goal and I compliment him for that but he has no clue how to go about it.
Could you please elaborate? What is the ground reality?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Posts

Back