Iranian Air Force (IRIAF/IRGC-ASF) | News and Discussions

You are manifestly incorrect. The ‘people you know who know AI’ don’t know jack if in fact they told you that. Which if they really did ‘know AI’ they won’t tell you that.

We are at the stage of integration of generative LLM based ‘ai’. Lots of companies are using these outstanding systems poorly. They are given a Lamborghini but use it as a sheep carriage.

Trust me the public systems are very able to carry out complex tasks. Let alone military ones. Palantir has declassified examples of battle management systems which are publicly available.

Ignore your friends.

LLM and general AI are two different topics you seem to be confusing.

generative AI (creating images/videos/media) And general AI are two vastly different things. The latter is known as a computer that is able to think and process information more similarity to the human brain.

LLM have plenty of flaws in its current state with regards to correctness and all that is mere data regurgitation. No one is downplaying their significance to civil society, but they are not apt to be used for military means.

General AI is still far from military use unless DARPA is far ahead and hiding it. Nor is there any indication that Iran has some type of foothold in this area.

Quantum computing is still progressing slowly you can get brute power (but high incorrect entanglement states) or low power (but higher corrective entanglement states), but not yet both.

The first binary supercomputers that can exceed human brain synapse calculations per second have just started coming online. So again technology is very fresh.

Lastly you have yet to explain how Iran will circumvent the hardware problem. You glossed over it.

Iran has little to no GPU/semiconductor capability.

Powering a [future] ‘army of killer robots’ with Western tech; what could go wrong?

LLM and general AI are two different topics you seem to be confusing.

generative AI (creating images/videos/media) And general AI are two vastly different things. The latter is known as a computer that is able to think and process information more similarity to the human brain.

LLM have plenty of flaws in its current state with regards to correctness and all that is mere data regurgitation. No one is downplaying their significance to civil society, but they are not apt to be used for military means.

General AI is still far from military use unless DARPA is far ahead and hiding it. Nor is there any indication that Iran has some type of foothold in this area.

Quantum computing is still progressing slowly you can get brute power (but high incorrect entanglement states) or low power (but higher corrective entanglement states), but not yet both.

The first binary supercomputers that can exceed human brain synapse calculations per second have just started coming online. So again technology is very fresh.

Lastly you have yet to explain how Iran will circumvent the hardware problem. You glossed over it.

Iran has little to no GPU/semiconductor capability.

Powering a [future] ‘army of killer robots’ with Western tech; what could go wrong?
I’m an engineer and this topic is my bread and butter. Please avoid engaging in discussions you know very little about . Your last post was incorrect and a display of deep lack of knowledge.

I know what ai is, is not, and the relationship of applicable terminology.

My posts are intentionally simplified for the layman albeit clear and correct and only to those that have a minimal understanding of the topic and like to learn more.

At the end, generative AI is here with wide practical combat application. The steps we’re currently in are:

- integration with environmental inputs (prompts and RAG—a term I avoided using before). This is an hardware issue not an AI issue. Iran has solved that with their drone sensor subsystems.
- development of a (specialized) foundation model (or off the shelf ) or can be internally developed with good data. Probably supervised since training data volumes are not readily available. vs unsupervised.
- minimizing LLM size for local non-external access. We’re already there since the foundation model and LLM will be highly specialized.

These are all SOLVED TODAY. Anyone can obtain off the shelf OR develop internally.

This post is more or less identical to my previous ones and submitted for emphasis.

These are excellent test beds. Terrible practical systems for modern warfare. Even if they were ’4th gen’ they would not last 30 seconds against opponents—US and Zionia. You seem to be missing the fundamental timescale problem at hand.

Iran will NEVER catch up or field competitive manned fighters in time. EVER. Thank the stars.

The SU-35s won’t last either …maybe a little longer but not meaningfully. Their role is very specific and not for head to head engagement. I keep hearing they will ‘fill a gap’ but, frankly, don’t know what that gap is. Anyway.,..their real value is TOT to be applied to future unmanned systems.
You say: - These are excellent test benches. Terrible practical systems for modern warfare. Even if they belonged to the “4th generation”, they would not last 30 seconds against adversaries: the United States and Zionia. You seem to be missing the fundamental time scale problem. -

You have no mastery of the subject because the Kowsar goes well beyond a test bench. The kowsar will become a problem for the enemy and they will be the ones to say so in the future. The engineers and the Iranian army know what they are doing with the Kowsar and I understand very well their perseverance for this aircraft but not you.

Like an athlete who wants to surpass himself and visualizes the impossible becoming possible, it is clear to me that Iran is targeting 6th generation technologies. Yes yes, I know that this will make people laugh here but Iranian scientists and engineers know that China, USA, Russia are working towards the 6th generation of combat aircraft and they are working in this direction.

The geniuses who discover things and create new technology don't care about time. They concentrate on their inventions and their very creative side and advance where others have not advanced at all or very little. The Iranian approach is smarter than Turkey's and the future will speak for itself. Yes, the Kowsar is a continuous technological test bed but at the same time an effective combat aircraft as soon as it is put into operation.

The creative imagination of Iranian scientists is recognized and if they continue with the Kowsar platform, it is because they have high-level and well-thought-out development plans. I had already talked on the other forum that ground radars would be almost exclusively dedicated to Kowsar in collaboration with drones. Simple deduction and intuition by observing certain things........

I’m an engineer and this topic is my bread and butter. Please avoid engaging in discussions you know very little about . Your last post was incorrect and a display of deep lack of knowledge.

I know what ai is, is not, and the relationship of applicable terminology.

My posts are intentionally simplified for the layman albeit clear and correct and only to those that have a minimal understanding of the topic and like to learn more.

At the end, generative AI is here with wide practical combat application. The steps we’re currently in are:

- integration with environmental inputs (prompts and RAG—a term I avoided using before). This is an hardware issue not an AI issue. Iran has solved that with their drone sensor subsystems.
- development of a (specialized) foundation model (or off the shelf ) or can be internally developed with good data. Probably supervised since training data volumes are not readily available. vs unsupervised.
- minimizing LLM size for local non-external access. We’re already there since the foundation model and LLM will be highly specialized.

These are all SOLVED TODAY. Anyone can obtain off the shelf OR develop internally.

This post is more or less identical to my previous ones and submitted for emphasis.
I want to add here that all the bullets below are the roots of confusion and lack of knowledge here:

First the old stuff:

- The notions and theories of neural networks date back to the 1940s.
- The notions and applications of machine learning date back to the latter half of the last century.

The next set of bullets are where the vast number of ‘knowledgeable’ people base their incorrect suppositions today.

The huge leaps have been since 2021 with the disruptive introduction of 3 new concepts. These bullets have raged and raced from theory to deep and practical application today in 2024. These three things and the lightening advancement and application are the root of the confusion we see here on this forum:

- transformers presented by an almost unnoticed paper by Google in 2021
- which lead to foundation models
- which lead to LLMs

The paper was later taken by OpenAI which resulted in GPT x.

These final three bullets where PRACTICAL application of GENERATIVE AI is today. Yes lightening advance in about THREE years.

We are at a stage of application now—not theory. Most countries of a reasonable scientific base can build foundation models . These foundation models are in the process of miniaturization. Not theoretically but in practice. Google’s Gemini already has a local version embedded in their new android phones. Apple has an advanced onboard foundation model running which will be introduced later this years replacing Siri.

I emphasize these things are TODAY and widely available for creation by various bodies including Iran.

So no, none of this is science fiction like many believe. We’ve made unprecedented advancement in ai.

Ironically, LLMs are already endangered. Generative ai will be based on ‘general world models’ (GWMs), a new type of foundation model, within a few very short years— much more applicable to UCAVs.

Last edited:

Big difference flying near war lines, versus flying in your own airspace with your air defense network backing you up. Night and day difference. Which is what Iranian SU-35’s would be doing. Not flying to Israel or US military bases or any major front lines on the ground (not that a land invasion of Iran is even remotely possible).

Wait and see when F-16’s get delivered to Ukraine you will start to seeing the first ones fall of the sky, that’s assuming they even bring them close to war front.

The current SU-27/30 Ukraine has they are flying them at near tree level before “popping up” to fire their anti radiation missiles and escaping. Dangerous games get dangerous prizes.

Russian SU-34 bombers and SU-35 are typically also flying low (I am talking manpad level) because of lack of PGMs. Only recently have glide mention kits been more rampantly used. This isn’t a Russia only phenomenon. Israeli Air Force has been largely using unguided bombs in Gaza. Most countries stocks of “guided” munitions get rapidly depleted in a major war.

I think Iran Air Force is also in the same boat if it had to rely on its airforce to deliver most kinetic power it would run out of [guided] bombs fairly quickly.

Big difference flying near war lines, versus flying in your own airspace with your air defense network backing you up. Night and day difference. Which is what Iranian SU-35’s would be doing. Not flying to Israel or US military bases or any major front lines on the ground (not that a land invasion of Iran is even remotely possible).

Wait and see when F-16’s get delivered to Ukraine you will start to seeing the first ones fall of the sky, that’s assuming they even bring them close to war front.

The current SU-27/30 Ukraine has they are flying them at near tree level before “popping up” to fire their anti radiation missiles and escaping. Dangerous games get dangerous prizes.

Russian SU-34 bombers and SU-35 are typically also flying low (I am talking manpad level) because of lack of PGMs. Only recently have glide mention kits been more rampantly used. This isn’t a Russia only phenomenon. Israeli Air Force has been largely using unguided bombs in Gaza. Most countries stocks of “guided” munitions get rapidly depleted in a major war.

I think Iran Air Force is also in the same boat if it had to rely on its airforce to deliver most kinetic power it would run out of [guided] bombs fairly quickly.
I've been thinking about this and, to me, Iran's order of battle albeit formally 'defensive', is almost entirely 'offensive' and extra-territorial. Given that, and your comment, the SU-35s will be relegated to internal defense or last stand only. Ok...that makes sense but...it punctuates that Iran will never expand to a conventional air force--especially the way it is offensively arrayed.

I've been thinking about this and, to me, Iran's order of battle albeit formally 'defensive', is almost entirely 'offensive' and extra-territorial. Given that, and your comment, the SU-35s will be relegated to internal defense or last stand only. Ok...that makes sense but...it punctuates that Iran will never expand to a conventional air force--especially the way it is offensively arrayed.

Iran simply does not have the military budget for even a 400 aircraft force of modern fighters, bombers, interceptors, support aircraft. Maybe in the future when Iran is more economically successful things will be different.

Btw, take the claimed Russian losses for a grain of salt as Ukraine has increased its propaganda machines due to recent losses on the ground.

Russian Air Force has gotten way more aggressive and has been consistently nailing towns and Ukraine military positions during its offensive.

Iran simply does not have the military budget for even a 400 aircraft force of modern fighters, bombers, interceptors, support aircraft. Maybe in the future when Iran is more economically successful things will be different.

Btw, take the claimed Russian losses for a grain of salt as Ukraine has increased its propaganda machines due to recent losses on the ground.

Russian Air Force has gotten way more aggressive and has been consistently nailing towns and Ukraine military positions during its offensive.

We needed a twitter post like this, at first it was alright and seen as "normal" propaganda, then they start to say unreal things such as 30000 Ukrainians vs 140000 Russians casualties which is strictly impossible, 100+ S-136 shot down while the photos of them downed barely passes 20 pictures as they love to take pictures of everything they shoot down, then now one Su-34 per day

And the above parameters of RuAF using dumb bombs with low altitude should be taken into account

Bring their F-16 and whatever western fighter jets, even stealth ones, they will get undoubtedly fall of the sky quick if used on the battlefield and not throwing missiles 200km away from the battlefield

are you under the impression the Russian jets are flying over Kyev?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back