J-31 to be inducted soon| Pilot training reportedly in progress

I am not so sure, will take more then a data link. Would for example a J-31 be able to fire a PL-17 at extreme range deep into India (say to take out an AEW as it takes off) and would an Erieye be able to guide it mid-course?

I think this level of integration is more complex than just a data link, but I am no expert in this exact field
I don’t think the Erieye will ever be able to support 3rd party guidance.

Despite all the unapproval and condescending voices here

Be sure that those pilots are going to return with the aircraft they are training upon, not without them

That's the SOP

Sir if four to five prototypes are flying then no it's not ridiculous. We didn't had 20 prototypes of JF 17. There was 6 prototypes and then we went for small batch production. Although J 31 is a totally different beast still prototypes won't exceed 6

I agree with you, when there would be 4-5 prototypes flying - similar to the J-20 project, where even 6 were used until service entry - and no one expects 20, but for a type (aka J-31) with only one prototype known since 2023 and not even the number required for the J-35 project, it is ridiculous to think it could be ready for Pakistan late next year or early 2026.

I agree with you, when there would be 4-5 prototypes flying - similar to the J-20 project, where even 6 were used until service entry - and no one expects 20, but for a type (aka J-31) with only one prototype known since 2023 and not even the number required for the J-35 project, it is ridiculous to think it could be ready for Pakistan late next year or early 2026.
Lets play the devils advocate - let’s assume flight parameters are fully verified and now its just sensor systems testing in progress. Could it be that SAC was setting up an assembly line in parallel because it has enough flight data and figures when the first IoC rolls out the prototypes will have completed all the fine tune tests required to allow rapid deployment.

Perhaps, there is enough commonality between the airframes that SAC is able to manufacture both J-35 and J-31 concurrently and deliver in end of 25 or early 26.

Where that “theory” falls flat is even with let’s say fast dev(NGAD style) and even though these modern systems are a lot more software than hardware(the F-22s and F-35s “radio” is actually a SDR using common antennas) - you may end up in f-35 territory where you only get partial capability and have to wait for longer baked out software updates to get somewhere.

Although China has not announced the number of FC31 prototypes, it is certain that there is definitely more than one. - This does not comply with China's test flight rules. As for how many FC31 prototypes there are now, we will only have to wait for the official declassification announcement in a few years.

As I said before, my friend is a researcher in the WS19 project team of the 624 Institute. According to his information, the first batch of aircraft of the FC31 was the Air Force version (J31), and not the Navy carrier-based aircraft version (J35). - Whether it is accurate or not, please judge for yourself!

We can only speculate that the first batch of J35 will definitely be for the PLA Navy, and we do not know whether the first batch of J31 will be for PLAAF or PAF. According to the analysis of Chinese military experts, PLAAF has not been interested in the FC31 (J31), they prefer the J20.

So, is it possible that the first batch of J31 was supplied directly to the PAF?

Let's look forward to the results!

I am not so sure, will take more then a data link. Would for example a J-31 be able to fire a PL-17 at extreme range deep into India (say to take out an AEW as it takes off) and would an Erieye be able to guide it mid-course?

I think this level of integration is more complex than just a data link, but I am no expert in this exact field
The size of the PL-17 has already exceeded the maximum size of the J20/J31 built-in bomb bay.

In PLAAF, the PL-17 is equipped on the J-16 and is carried in a plug-in way. Fifth-generation fighters will lose their stealth advantage if they use the plug-in mode.

The range of the PL-17 already exceeds the radar-locked distance (radar-locked distance, not radar detection range) of almost all fighters in service. It works in the way that "A" shoots "B" guidance, that is: fighter launches, AWACS guidance. This means that the PL-17 must work with the corresponding cooperative AWACS aircraft.

So, the PL-17 has no possibility of export at the moment.
pljkaqhd.png

Last edited:
The size of the PL-17 has already exceeded the maximum size of the J20/J31 built-in bomb bay.

In PLAAF, the PL-17 is equipped on the J-16 and is carried in a plug-in way. Fifth-generation fighters will lose their stealth advantage if they use the plug-in mode.

The range of the PL-17 already exceeds the radar-locked distance (radar-locked distance, not radar detection range) of almost all fighters in service. It works in the way that "A" shoots "B" guidance, that is: fighter launches, AWACS guidance. This means that the PL-17 must work with the corresponding cooperative AWACS aircraft.

View attachment 58415
There is no plan by the PAF to field anything like the PL-17 - it is a very specific weapon for a role that in terms of Pakistan's requirements is a "nice to have" but not a "must have'.
The J-31 PL-15(clipped) combination in its low observability will be enough to provide sufficient threat to HVAA's on the Indian side. The PAF has no AEW asset capable of providing A to B guidance yet and any "plans" are very much just on paper eating dust.

The focus of J-31 is not just air superiority but to provide day 1 interdiction and strike capability inside a heavily defended Indian air space.

There is no plan by the PAF to field anything like the PL-17 - it is a very specific weapon for a role that in terms of Pakistan's requirements is a "nice to have" but not a "must have'.
The J-31 PL-15(clipped) combination in its low observability will be enough to provide sufficient threat to HVAA's on the Indian side. The PAF has no AEW asset capable of providing A to B guidance yet and any "plans" are very much just on paper eating dust.

The focus of J-31 is not just air superiority but to provide day 1 interdiction and strike capability inside a heavily defended Indian air space.
Stick to this subject , you are good at it .....politics and economy is not your forte .

Stick to this subject , you are good at it .....politics and economy is not your forte .
Neither is it yours because you are defending a cult mentality. No different than the "F-16s" were the worst to happen or MKI is Raptor of the east. Same closed loop mindset.

View attachment 58415

Thanks for the very informative reply. It was more just using that as an example of the chgallenges PAF will face trying to truly integrate advanced chinese 5th gen into. system that has many western elements

Of course, but even for all roles i imagine one of the great benefits of 5th gen is its sensor and infrmation fusion and distribution.

Although China has not announced the number of FC31 prototypes, it is certain that there is definitely more than one. - This does not comply with China's test flight rules. As for how many FC31 prototypes there are now, we will only have to wait for the official declassification announcement in a few years.

As I said before, my friend is a researcher in the WS19 project team of the 624 Institute. According to his information, the first batch of aircraft of the FC31 was the Air Force version (J31), and not the Navy carrier-based aircraft version (J35). - Whether it is accurate or not, please judge for yourself!

We can only speculate that the first batch of J35 will definitely be for the PLA Navy, and we do not know whether the first batch of J31 will be for PLAAF or PAF. According to the analysis of Chinese military experts, PLAAF has not been interested in the FC31 (J31), they prefer the J20.

So, is it possible that the first batch of J31 was supplied directly to the PAF?

Let's look forward to the results!

Are you sure and based on what evidence?

Even more it seems, you are again confusing J-31 with FC-31 prototypes and based on the same logic - aka we assume there to be more than we see- it is also likely that there are already 5 H-20s flying?

Don‘t get me wrong, but we have a quite good and reliable track record on when a new prototype appeared and as such how many are now available and for the true J-31 only one is known.

To assume there are more and as such to base any further assumption, out could enter service in PAF soon, is just wishful thinking based on nothing. As such I prefer to base my projections on the number of confirmed aircraft and prototypes similar to the J-20 program then,

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back