JF-17 - Updates, News & Discussion

The latest iteration of the Sino-Pak joint fighter, the JF-17 Thunder Block III, represents a significant advancement in technology and capability.
1726854421830.png

PAC Block III JF-17C Thunder fighter aircraft, attached to the Pakistan Air Force’ ‘Black Panthers’ squadron returns to PAF Base Minhas following an air defence training sortie in the Northern Air Command AOR.
1727118135405.png

Sadly, given the broader environment in Pakistan, there is a fair chance that the PFX is, simply, vapourware. Between the J-10CE, J-31, and potentially even L-15, I can't actually see a need to add another platform.

While I do believe the Pakistani armed forces can muster cash (via unaccounted assets within and outside of the country), there's a limit to what they can do.

For example, the JF-17 itself was driven by necessity. If the Peace Gate III/IV F-16s came, the PAF would not have signed on with CAC. Rather, it would have built upon the F-16 as its principal mainstay fighter. Once the multirole requirement was set, the next phase in the PAF's plan was, likely, to acquire a strike fighter, like the JH-7A.

Similarly, the PAF now has access to the ideal multirole platform in J-10CE as well as a potential strike system in the J-31. In addition, it has acquired medium-to-long-range and long-range SAMs from China, and will likely acquire more via domestic means. So, that would help complement the quick-reaction element.

Where would the PFX fit? You could say the lightweight multirole segment, sure, but the JF-17 is already there. Perhaps we can argue that the PFX is an upgrade path for the JF-17, and I truly believe that to be the case. However, as long as the J-10CEs and J-31 can be bought, there's no urgent need to upgrade the JF-17s either.

Ultimately, the "X" is the key indicator. It likely means "experimental" and, potentially, the PFX could be a study of a potential upgrade of the JF-17. It may be something on offer to the export market for a while, but beyond that, I doubt it'll survive.

In fact, I suspect there are voices in the PAF (especially those poised to take over after the current CAS) that are looking in another direction. I think there may be a drive now to walk away from crewed fighters and, instead, pivot to UCAVs.

UCAV tech is likely a shorter climb for Pakistan's technical capabilities, especially small designs like 1,000-ton decoys. The PAF has already found a willing partner (Baykar from Turkiye), the economies-of-scale make more sense (especially for disposable designs) and there's overlap with other areas, like ALCM tech.
1000-ton.............small design? 😳

Users who are viewing this thread

Back