Made in Pakistan Night Vision Devices

When the talibs NVGs, left by America for the old ANA, run out of their useful life, and Pakistan makes these NVGs more common place, the PA will own the night.
How long would that be.

When the talibs NVGs, left by America for the old ANA, run out of their useful life, and Pakistan makes these NVGs more common place, the PA will own the night.
The left over nvgs in talib inventory are few and far between. Probably a couple of hundred at most. Meaning they'll only be used by their elite forces.

Meanwhile. If Pakistan manages to manufacture and buy on large enough scale, we could see regular GIs getting their hands on this.

Having said all that, there is the issue of just how good these new NVGs are.

As an example, this is the Gen3 E-NVGs being fielded by the US army and marines:

This is what Pakistan will need to aim for, if it wants to "own the night", because India will almost guaranteed try and get it's hands on these ENVGs from the US.

The first part will happen, the second part - it's been 20 years that region has been an active combat zone for us. I've grown old reading and writing about how our boys need upto date kit.

Yeah we're not in WW2 era helmets anymore, but really - it's next to nothing compared to what it could have been and should have been. Our soldiers blood is cheap, our civillians blood is cheaper. Bottled water has more value.

I hope these are also great plus we and should Collab with Turkey also for both helmet mounted and rifle mounted sights, helmets, BP vests. We need them for Armed Forces, Para Military, Police, Intelligence and other law enforcement agencies

The left over nvgs in talib inventory are few and far between. Probably a couple of hundred at most. Meaning they'll only be used by their elite forces.

Meanwhile. If Pakistan manages to manufacture and buy on large enough scale, we could see regular GIs getting their hands on this.

As an example, this is the Gen3 E-NVGs being fielded by the US army and marines:

This is what Pakistan will need to aim for, if it wants to "own the night", because India will almost guaranteed try and get it's hands on these ENVGs from the US.

Wow - those Gen3 E-NVGs are amazing !

I suspect these Pakistani NVGs are these $4000 (price for American civilians) Chinese Gen 2+ devices.

For a regular unit, Pakistan could give its troops these Gen2+ devices and give the officers and scouts Gen3 NVGs to better coordinate the fight.

Last edited:
How long would that be.
Gen 1: 1000 hours
Gen 2: 5000 hours

Doubt the afghans have Gen 3, but Gen 3 tubes last around 10,000 hours (at least the ones from L3 Harris)

Standard US military use for regular soldiers would be around 200 hours a year, but I suspect afghans may over use their equipment, in a use it or lose it manner, and run their tubes more often, if they lack logistical discipline.

Also after a few hundred hours, the units may wear out, and image quality may degrade. It’s been 3 years since afghans were left on their own.

Look at the difference in quality of image after 400 and 800 hours of use between a Gen 2 and a Gen 3 tube:

I suspect the threat may linger into the early 2030s without outside support, and maybe a constant reality if afghans are re-supplied.

Last edited:
Don't really look the same. Could be a mix of ToT and local tech development.
It’s highly possible,

It could be a more rugged, higher end model that went through proper field tests while keeping the price economical, especially if it’s to be built locally and in large enough numbers of at least 10,000 units a year.

Hopefully this is a Gen 3 multispectral system; IR and Thermal, and also gives the outline of moving objects the way the enhanced NVGs do. It will at least cue soldiers on long duty to pop threats and allow them to orient and engage threats quickly.

Also I suspect Indians will be license manufacturing Israeli Elbit PVS-14 soon if they are doing so already. It’s cleared for civilian use, so the US export controls will be lax to a strategic partner like India and its military.

This is the benchmark I hope the PA’s NVGs exceed. Along side long range assault rifles for our scouts. Making 800 yard effective assault rifles by giving the 7.62mm G3 rifles smart scopes/“fire control systems”. Same rifle, just modern optics. Add smart scopes to the RPG-7, MG-3 machine guns, and other systems to help average soldiers become marksmen, and make marksmen into legends and make all these troops friends of the quartermaster and the respect of the logistics department of the army.

Last edited:
Gen 1: 1000 hours
Gen 2: 5000 hours

Doubt the afghans have Gen 3, but Gen 3 tubes last around 10,000 hours (at least the ones from L3 Harris)

Standard US military use for regular soldiers would be around 200 hours a year, but I suspect afghans may over use their equipment, in a use it or lose it manner, and run their tubes more often, if they lack logistical discipline.

Also after a few hundred hours, the units may wear out, and image quality may degrade. It’s been 3 years since afghans were left on their own.

Look at the difference in quality of image after 400 and 800 hours of use between a Gen 2 and a Gen 3 tube:

I suspect the threat may linger into the early 2030s without outside support, and maybe a constant reality if afghans are re-supplied.
Not too sure about that.

As panzerkiel said in older forum PA procured large batches of Polish Mono NVGs and Chinese Mono NVGs, the polish ones we subsequently saw in use with troops on LOC.
The PN also procured batch of 200 NVGs goggles last year for Marines, the PAF probably got some fresh batches too but i only saw tender for 25 IR Thermal sights by PAF this year.

Additionally pretty much every small border post under PA/FC has 1 IR Thermal now. Even the small Punjab Police outpost attacked this week had 2 Thermal PTZ Cameras and 1 Tarsier Mid range thermal sight mounted on AK.

Not too sure about that.
You’re probably right. depending on the manufacturer these numbers could be completely different. I was looking at the higher end American made NVGs, likely the kind left for the ANA, but considering the videos show Gen 2 tubes breaking down at 400/800 hours, it’s likely the lives of the tubes are 1000 hours max.

Users who are viewing this thread

Pakistan Defence Latest

Back