Pakistan Air Force Transport

Two transport aircraft were damaged as they were made unserviceable after stray bullets hit them on Jan 18 and 23 while a VVIP aircraft was damaged after being hit by stray bullets on the afternoon of Feb 24 when people were celebrating Basant in the garrison city.

The authorities also noted that the main runway and taxiways alone received significant number of bullets in one day during the unannounced Basant in Rawalpindi as the cases of firing in the air were on the rise. Besides, a number of bullets that fell on sides of the runway remained unaccountable.

PAF's C-130B force which comprised of five C-130Bs remained unscathed throughout the war.

1709933704610.png

Currently as far as I am aware, PAF has 18 C-130s operational (5x B-model, 9x E-model, 4x H-model.) Of the seven acquired in Belgium, at least two will not be delivered to Pakistan. They have been sold to a civilian company in the USA. They were already painted up in full PAF colour scheme.
What happened to number 7 (4455) I do not know.

Others with more knowledge on logistics may weigh in here. How many aircraft do you need to transport an army brigade and all its equipment? Do you want to make yourself dependent on rail transport (slow and prone to sabotage.)

Also, keep in mind that some other countries may have many islands/outlying territories or require deploying forces outside their country. Lastly, the C-130 is used on relief missions also.

All those factors may necessitate the need for a bigger fleet of transport aircraft.

The damaged aircraft hit by stray bullets, are they going to be repaired? If anything, good battle damage repair training ;-)

Currently as far as I am aware, PAF has 18 C-130s operational (5x B-model, 9x E-model, 4x H-model.) Of the seven acquired in Belgium, at least two will not be delivered to Pakistan. They have been sold to a civilian company in the USA. They were already painted up in full PAF colour scheme.

Others with more knowledge on logistics may weigh in here. How many aircraft do you need to transport an army brigade and all its equipment? Do you want to make yourself dependent on rail transport (slow and prone to sabotage.)

Also, keep in mind that some other countries may have many islands/outlying territories or require deploying forces outside their country. Lastly, the C-130 is used on relief missions also.

All those factors may necessitate the need for a bigger fleet of transport aircraft.

The damaged aircraft hit by stray bullets, are they going to be repaired? If anything, good battle damage repair training ;-)

PAF have 23 operational including 7 ex-Belgium & pity sure that 2 recently received stray bullets will get repaired as we have extensive setup of repair facility like its been done with Saab-AEW aircrafts.

Further, RSAF is replacing its fleet (44) with C390s hence its a fair chance that PAF will get few from their inventory on soft loan basis.

1984 , C - 130

1711655261356.png

Where will Pakistan ever have to deploy its forces outside the country at short notice? If it has to it can probably do it for short distances and the size of the force. You can move troops and equipment via charter companies if there's no emergency. I know the US uses these charter companies to move troops back and forth from the US to foreign bases.

Again, there seems to be a misconception that due to many western powers and India having large transport fleets that this is a requirement for Pakistan.

1) We have no foreign or remote territories
2) We have no large number of troops stationed abroad
3) Almost 75% of our forces are within 2 hours drive of Indian border
4) Being a narrow country movement of forces from East to West will be quick
5) For all the country's faults, we have built a great rain and road network (many of us on here will have personal experience of this)
6) Pakistan has no airborne brigade or a airborne assualt strategy
7) In non permissive air scenario, any transport plane, Indian or Pakistani, is dead meat

Now ask yourself why top end air forces like Israel, Japan, Tawain and Turkey have similar number of medium/heavy transports as PAF.? Answer is same, they do not need to travel far to fight their enemy....

207235.jpeg
This ex-Belgian C-130H (former BAF serial CH-04, c/n 382-4467) was spotted at Melsbroek Air Base ahead of its transfer to its new operator, the PAF. Note that the aircraft has already received its Pakistani markings and carries the serial 4467.

121300.jpeg

Former Belgian Air Force C-130H (CH-12) approaches its former base of Melsbroek, Brussels, in its new scheme of the Pakistan Air Force. Jos Schoofs

121299.jpeg

The first Pakistan Air Force C-130H prepares for its post overhaul flight at Melsbroek Air Base after the previous Belgian Air Force C-130H fleet were sold to Pakistan

Our 235s were from IPTN Indonesia, there were always problem with spares and after sale support. The economies of scale weren’t there to set up overhaul shops for four planes. I am just curious, where they might end up. Maybe with the Navy

PAF never wanted the ZDK3. They were forced upon it by Musharraf. Very high operating costs.

Same thing with the Mirages, they have become too maintenance heavy with limited effectiveness.

Not that I am privy to inside information, it seems PAF did a good analysis of operating cost versus effectiveness/utility. Keeping a lower number of more capable aircrafts rather than simply more numbers might be more effective. A good move away from older approach of keeping a certain minimum number of combat aircraft irrespective of capabilities.
True but this is repetitive theme of induction and retirement in PAF and PA. Wait till the next chief and we will see another such saga

True but this is repetitive theme of induction and retirement in PAF and PA. Wait till the next chief and we will see another such saga
give some examples? PAF never wanted ZDKs, they were forced upon them by Musharraf because of a political decision. Most other assets have served for decades.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back