Pakistan Nuclear Power plants

I bet you sneak in cow ka cola with your lunch
I worked for many years in Pakistan on engineering projects. I happen to know that even the galv C channels, H beams, fittings, line pipe sheet metal even the hardware are imported. Same with all the instrumentation, tubing, cabling/ harness, connectors…..you name it!

Base industries nahi hain hamaray mulk main like steel and clunky century old technology.

You have no idea! I don’t believe you’ve ever worked in our country in neither manufacturing nor fabrication let alone engineering.

Sub western countries say import hota hae. Made in China maal hamari gormint SOE’s accept bhee ne karteen.

Last edited:
I worked for many years in Pakistan on engineering projects. I happen to know that even the galv C channels, H beams, fittings, line pipe sheet metal even the hardware are imported. Same with all the instrumentation, tubing, cabling/ harness, connectors…..you name it!

Base industries nahi hain hamaray mulk main like steel and clunky century old technology.

You have no idea! I don’t believe you’ve ever worked in our country in neither manufacturing nor fabrication let alone engineering.

Sub western countries say import hota hae. Made in China maal hamari gormint SOE’s accept bhee ne karteen.
This is true all around the world not just Pakistan, China exports a lot of stuff to many countries, it has been well discussed on this forum. Pakistan is too corrupt for me to work or live there.

This is true all around the world not just Pakistan, China exports a lot of stuff to many countries, it has been well discussed on this forum. Pakistan is too corrupt for me to work or live there.
Oh bhai twanu samjh ne aati. We don’t even got base metal industries like steel aluminum copper zinc etc. we even import chingchi engine from China. What could we possibly innovate or have any input on?

Don’t get me wrong……I’m not happy saying dis.☹️

There are hundreds of multi millionaire Pakistanis who’d like to set up these industries in our country, but they are fearful of going there because of many reasons…….even though we got very cheap labor.

Islamabad: Pakistan has started loading fuel to its Chinese-assisted 1,100MW nuclear power plant in Karachi for testing in run-up to its commercial operations in April 2021, according to a media report on Wednesday.

The fuel loading for the newly built Karachi Nuclear Power Plant Unit-2 (K-2) began on Tuesday after obtaining fuel load permit from the Pakistan Nuclear Regulatory Authority.

The fuel loading was witnessed by Director General of the Strategic Plan Division Lt Gen Nadeem Zaki Manj, Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission (PAEC) Chairman Mohammad Naeem and senior Chinese and Pakistani officials, the Dawn newspaper reported.

K-2 is a pressurised water reactor based on the Chinese HPR-1000 technology and a third generation plant equipped with advanced safety features, according to officials.

The construction of K-2 plant started on August 31, 2015 ..
and its commercial operation will begin in April 2021 after undergoing several operational and safety tests.

K-2 is one of the two 1,100MW nuclear power plants being constructed in Karachi. The other plant, K-3, is expected to become operational by the end of 2021.
For an unknown reason, cancer is spreading in Karachi like hellfire.
Pakistani govt better investigate it now, or wait for a total embargo on Pakistan on food exports.

Chinese envoy visits Karachi Nuclear Power Plants

Press Release
September 8, 2024

66dcb5e56469d.jpg

KARACHI: Chinese Ambassador H.E Jiang Zaidong on Saturday visited Karachi Nuclear Power Plants K-2 & K-3.

He is the first Chinese Ambassador who has visited an operational NPP in Pakistan. Earlier in November 2013, Sun Wei Dong, the then Chinese Ambassador to Pakistan had graced the groundbreaking ceremony of Chinese designed NPPs in Karachi.

While giving brief to Ambassador it was highlighted that K2&K3 Nuclear Power Projects commenced their production in May 2021 and April 2022, respectively with the combined capacity of generating 2200MW clean & cost effective energy to national grid.

Ambassador appreciated the joint work done by Chinese Power Company and PAEC experts on completion of these Projects. He also thanked Chairman PAEC for ensuring foolproof safety & security in coordination with LEAs for Chinese workforce employed at KNPGS.

While speaking on the occasion, Chinese Ambassador also stressed the need of promoting Pak-China Strategic & Bilateral cooperation in vide range of activities, involving various segments of the society.

He stressed that Chinese power companies may not be restricted only to CPEC Projects but also to contribute in non CPEC and power sector for strengthening Economic Foundations already lay between the two countries.

While talking on the forthcoming C5 NPP, he appreciated the ongoing negotiations between both the countries and assured complete support for execution of the project which will ultimately enhance Nuclear Power potential of Pakistan.

Ambassador further emphasized upon furthering Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) initiatives for local population around Khi NPPs and assured Chinese support for such activities as well. He affirmed that Chinese Commercial Counselor will also visit K2 & K3 site soon for reviewing the functioning of these setups and coordinate support required for CSR.

Key officials of Chinese Consulate & Embassy at Karachi accompanied the Ambassador during this visit which reflects China’s unwavering commitment to continue supporting Pakistan in its quest for cost effective & clean nuclear power generation in line with global environmental concerns.

Copyright Business Recorder, 2024

Not true. Many countries,like Canada build ita own components when it comes to nuclear. Pakistan has enough power plants to sustain a small industrial base where they can make quality components. But nope.

There were attempts in the past to produce some of the components in Pakistan for nuclear industry. I remember that some of the components were produced, specially some of the stainless steel piping and yellow cake specialized storage containers for D.G. Khan uranium project.

Many organizations were shortlisted and their facilities were inspected, when, I believe, a Spanish company was shortlisted for Khushab power plant back in early 80's.

But then it died down. GoP is just not investing in Engineering Industry in Pakistan, today. When they did, it produced results, PACO and VDT, Vendor Development and Training initiative did produce automotive down stream industry which is currently supplying the expanded automotive industry today. But then the critical leap to high tech components was avoided and never materialled. Baluchistan Glass, Baluchistan Wheels, Agriautos, AuVitronics, Thal Engineering etc. are companies producing quality parts for the House Habib from Wheel rims to electrical harnesses to shock absorbers. But the Carb, engine block, crankshaft, and other engine components remain an elusive area unless we progress in steel making and metallurgy. Here GoP has to step in and work on this with the private sector Even countries like US have come in to protect the sole crankshaft manufacturer in US (There were three previously) and regularly subsidizes that entity to ensure this strategic industry stays afloat in the face of stiff competition from imports.

GoP has to look at the long term and stop skimming money of import related orders for the government sector and invest in producing here. The country will end up making more money off of taxes, creation of jobs and income tax etc.

There were attempts in the past to produce some of the components in Pakistan for nuclear industry. I remember that some of the components were produced, specially some of the stainless steel piping and yellow cake specialized storage containers for D.G. Khan uranium project.

Many organizations were shortlisted and their facilities were inspected, when, I believe, a Spanish company was shortlisted for Khushab power plant back in early 80's.

But then it died down. GoP is just not investing in Engineering Industry in Pakistan, today. When they did, it produced results, PACO and VDT, Vendor Development and Training initiative did produce automotive down stream industry which is currently supplying the expanded automotive industry today. But then the critical leap to high tech components was avoided and never materialled. Baluchistan Glass, Baluchistan Wheels, Agriautos, AuVitronics, Thal Engineering etc. are companies producing quality parts for the House Habib from Wheel rims to electrical harnesses to shock absorbers. But the Carb, engine block, crankshaft, and other engine components remain an elusive area unless we progress in steel making and metallurgy. Here GoP has to step in and work on this with the private sector Even countries like US have come in to protect the sole crankshaft manufacturer in US (There were three previously) and regularly subsidizes that entity to ensure this strategic industry stays afloat in the face of stiff competition from imports.

GoP has to look at the long term and stop skimming money of import related orders for the government sector and invest in producing here. The country will end up making more money off of taxes, creation of jobs and income tax etc.

There is apparently an indigenous 340MW NPP design. If I have to take a guess it’s based on Chashma/CNP-300:

To this end, by March 2022, six power plants (four at Chashma and two at Karachi) have begun contributing around 3500 MW of base load electricity to national grid. To meet future targets, preliminary work planning is under way for C-5 project (1100 MW), Chashma Engineering Complex (Fuel Fabrication Plant) and Indigenous Nuclear Power Plant (340 MW).

Heavy Engineering Complex-3 is exclusively for manufacturing atomic energy related items. The four smaller reactors at Khushab used for extracting plutonium were made there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back