PLA Army unit with rifles patrolling Guangzhou int. Airport

神威98

Reaction score
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
It's one of the most disturbing things I've seen in China. I've only ever seen that kind of rifle in North America when someone shot someone and they called in a gun squad to handle the situation. Seems to be a regular occurrence at Guangzhou international airport.

I even saw 7-8 PLA army people lined up side-by-side in the airport's lobby. Each had a rifle in their hand. (At first I thought it was a bunch of PLA soldiers traveling together to take the metro linked to the airport. But as I approached them, they were clearly just standing there side-by-side on the lookout in various directions, rifle in hand ready to shoot [terrorists]).

Is this too a regular occurrence at other Chinese airports? Is China currently under high vigilance for terrorists?

Source:
Not Applicable
Last edited:
While it's generally true Chinese police don't carry guns, tell that to the PLA personels who tote their overpowering rifles around Guangzhou int airport as if China is one of those countries with the right to bear arms.

Any foreigners who think they can do whatever in China because their police are too tame to carry guns... LOL!!

Chinese swat do carry guns
Foreigners know better not to do dumb shit in china. It's not like in the US where u can commit crimes and release the next day.
The Chinese people armed police is estimated to have 1.5 million members enough to create an army themselves if need be or play a support role in wartime.

Last edited:
It's one of the most disturbing things I've seen in China. I've only ever seen that kind of rifle in North America when someone shot someone and they called in a gun squad to handle the situation. Seems to be a regular occurrence at Guangzhou international airport.

I even saw 7-8 PLA army people lined up side-by-side in the airport's lobby. Each had a rifle in their hand. (At first I thought it was a bunch of PLA soldiers traveling together to take the metro linked to the airport. But as I approached them, they were clearly just standing there side-by-side on the lookout in various directions, rifle in hand ready to shoot [terrorists]).

Is this too a regular occurrence at other Chinese airports? Is China currently under high vigilance for terrorists?
You use a Chinese ID that shows Americans. This makes it impossible for me to determine your identity. But judging from your statement, you don't know China.

1, China conducts armed patrols in densely populated urban areas. Different levels of armed patrols are used based on public safety level assessments. Those involved in the patrols are SWAT or PAP, PLA is not involved in armed patrols. The only time PLA is involved in cordon operations is during military operations. So what you see is PAP and not PLA.
These armed patrols do not only occur in densely populated areas such as airports, stations, docks, etc., but also in areas such as tourist attractions, city squares, stadiums, and performing arts centres of gravity at specific times.
Their main role is to deter criminals. When criminals see these armed patrols, changes in body language and facial expressions will be recognised and judged by a large number of AI cameras, and plainclothes security personnel will check and dispose of them based on this intelligence. When a major danger occurs, the real protection for the crowd is the heavily armed officers hidden inside nearby rooms or BUS.

2. China implements strict firearms management. All firearms involved in armed patrols and armed posts are subject to measures to separate firearms and bullets. Such measures will result in a delayed response in emergency situations, but will minimise the risk of injury to innocents.

3. Ordinary people will only feel safer when they see these armed patrol officers. When you are in trouble or difficulties, you can always turn to these patrol officers for help. You can absolutely trust them.

You use a Chinese ID that shows Americans. This makes it impossible for me to determine your identity. But judging from your statement, you don't know China.

1, China conducts armed patrols in densely populated urban areas. Different levels of armed patrols are used based on public safety level assessments. Those involved in the patrols are SWAT or PAP, PLA is not involved in armed patrols. The only time PLA is involved in cordon operations is during military operations. So what you see is PAP and not PLA.
These armed patrols do not only occur in densely populated areas such as airports, stations, docks, etc., but also in areas such as tourist attractions, city squares, stadiums, and performing arts centres of gravity at specific times.
Their main role is to deter criminals. When criminals see these armed patrols, changes in body language and facial expressions will be recognised and judged by a large number of AI cameras, and plainclothes security personnel will check and dispose of them based on this intelligence. When a major danger occurs, the real protection for the crowd is the heavily armed officers hidden inside nearby rooms or BUS.

2. China implements strict firearms management. All firearms involved in armed patrols and armed posts are subject to measures to separate firearms and bullets. Such measures will result in a delayed response in emergency situations, but will minimise the risk of injury to innocents.

3. Ordinary people will only feel safer when they see these armed patrol officers. When you are in trouble or difficulties, you can always turn to these patrol officers for help. You can absolutely trust them.
Those guys patrolling Guangzhou int airport with rifles are SWAT/PAP... LOL!!!!

They were dressed like this: No protective gears/vests whatsoever, just plain green military army uniforms and very menacing-looking rifles. Completely different look from your typical SWAT/PAP!

1f365a17e7df1bd04758521f56443914.jpg

Aside the 7-8 I saw standing side-by-side just hanging out in the Guangzhou int airport lobby, I once saw a pair of them walking around on patrol outside the airport gate. One carried his riffle, the other lugged around a riot/crowd control shield with the word POLICE on it.

Anyways, the point why I started the thread... Remember police in China don't carry guns. That doesn't mean other personel types don't have guns!

They were dressed like this: No protective gears/vests whatsoever, just plain green military army uniforms and very menacing-looking rifles. Completely different look from your typical SWAT/PAP!

View attachment 67188

Aside the 7-8 I saw standing side-by-side just hanging out in the Guangzhou int airport lobby, I once saw a pair of them walking around on patrol outside the airport gate. One carried his riffle, the other lugged around a riot/crowd control shield with the word POLICE on it.

Anyways, the point why I started the thread... Remember police in China don't carry guns. That doesn't mean other personel types don't have guns!
What's the point of this thread? ofc military personals will carry guns.

What's the point of this thread? ofc military personals will carry guns.
The point of this thread is... Instead of the police, China deploys plain clothed PLA Army personels with rifles where guns are needed.

The point of this thread is... Instead of the police, China deploys plain clothed PLA Army personels with rifles where guns are needed.
Ok they are certainly heading to a training location by train.

I don't even know what your point is. Is it scary for military personals to carry guns? sheesh 🤣 they are just minding there own business.

Pap/swat don't have to disguise as military personals they carry guns in public. U can see some of the videos I've posted

The Chinese People's Armed Police Force (PAP)
The Chinese People's Armed Police Force (PAP) has the same military service system as the PLA and is also under the jurisdiction of the Central Military Commission (CMC).The PAP looks very similar to the PLA and you will need to be very careful to distinguish them from each other.
1.jpg
2.jpeg
2.jpg
When on armed patrol, PAPs wear camouflage uniforms and carry standard rifles. Armour or bulletproof vests are not usually worn. Sometimes they also patrol in their regular clothes.
PLA is not involved in urban armed patrols. They are only involved in armed border patrols.
SWAT are well recognisable when on armed patrol.

Apparently you think of PAP as PLA Army. It's PAP in all three of my pictures. and the Chinese character ‘武警’ on their bodies is the Chinese abbreviation for PAP.

The Chinese police have stricter gun control.
Traffic police do not carry firearms. Ordinary police officers' guns are kept in the armoury, and they receive their guns only when they need to use them, and they need to return them immediately after use.SWAT receive their guns only when they are on duty.
Special police officers who need to wear a gun for a long time (criminal police, narcotics police) have a very strict vetting procedure.
If a police officer's firearm is lost, it is a very serious and major incident. A lost police pistol can result in many people being punished; a lost police rifle can result in an entire city being locked down and searched.

Last edited:
The Chinese People's Armed Police Force (PAP)
The Chinese People's Armed Police Force (PAP) has the same military service system as the PLA and is also under the jurisdiction of the Central Military Commission (CMC).The PAP looks very similar to the PLA and you will need to be very careful to distinguish them from each other.
View attachment 67190
View attachment 67191
View attachment 67192
When on armed patrol, PAPs wear camouflage uniforms and carry standard rifles. Armour or bulletproof vests are not usually worn. Sometimes they also patrol in their regular clothes.
PLA is not involved in urban armed patrols. They are only involved in armed border patrols.
SWAT are well recognisable when on armed patrol.

Apparently you think of PAP as PLA Army. It's PAP in all three of my pictures.

The Chinese police have stricter gun control.
Traffic police do not carry firearms. Ordinary police officers' guns are kept in the armoury, and they receive their guns only when they need to use them, and they need to return them immediately after use.SWAT receive their guns only when they are on duty.
Special police officers who need to wear a gun for a long time (criminal police, narcotics police) have a very strict vetting procedure.
If a police officer's firearm is lost, it is a very serious and major incident. A lost police pistol can result in many people being punished; a lost police rifle can result in an entire city being locked down and searched.
Sorry, the ones patrolling Guangzhou int airport are NOT PAP. They don't have all those accessories on them like belts, face shields, vests, pockets, etc.

I couldn't find one look as old as any of those PAPs personels you showed. Those guys at Guangzhou had plain army clothes (think fresh military recruits), not those pics of ppl in army clothes with lots and lots of accessories on them.

In fact, I didn't see anyone looking older than 25 at Guangzhou int airport. Not your typical PAP who are much older maybe early/late 30's!

BTW, I'm pretty sure you seen (very young) PLA Army recruits rush around in groups on the subway to get home for the holidays, etc. Just put a rifle on them and what those patrollers look like at Guangzhou int airport!

Sorry, the ones patrolling Guangzhou int airport are NOT PAP. They don't have all those accessories on them like belts, face shields, vests, pockets, etc.

I couldn't find one look as old as any of those PAPs personels you showed. Those guys at Guangzhou had plain army clothes (think fresh military recruits), not those pics of ppl in army clothes with lots and lots of accessories on them.

In fact, I didn't see anyone looking older than 25 at Guangzhou int airport. Not your typical PAP who are much older maybe early/late 30's!

BTW, I'm pretty sure you seen (very young) PLA Army recruits rush around in groups on the subway to get home for the holidays, etc. Just put a rifle on them and what those patrollers look like at Guangzhou int airport!
Then you may have encountered an armed transit of PLA soldiers. the PLA is never involved in armed patrols at airports.

The PAP and PLA land forces are identical except for their different functions.
PAP performs standard military service and they are also ordinary soldiers. They carry exactly the same equipment as PLA Army infantry. The only difference in appearance is the marking system.

If they are new recruits or veterans retired, they will not carry equipment and will not have ranks or markings.

PAP can easily be confused for PLA Army.

Last edited:
Then you may have encountered an armed transit of PLA soldiers. the PLA is never involved in armed patrols at airports.
I thought so too. The group of 7-8 I saw from afar in the airport lobby, I thought they had red bows on their chest and were traveling in a group to return home to their parents, etc. But as I approached them, I saw that I mistook the red China flag for the red bows. And they were not grouped together to take a rest in the lobby, but rather on high alert standing side-by-side looking out at various directions. I could only pick out they had rifles up close. From afar they REALLY look like fresh PLA recruits returning home on vacation!

BTW, how can they be in transit, when one of them walked around with a rifle outside the airport gate, while his companion lugged around a police shield/barricade? It was not a PAP shield, just a regular police shield that was found scattered in various locations throughout the airport like fire extinguishers!

Also, why would PLA soldiers in transit hold their (loaded) guns like this when it's more convenient to carry them unloaded on their backs?

PLA.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Posts

Back