PLA Army unit with rifles patrolling Guangzhou int. Airport

I thought so too. The group of 7-8 I saw from afar in the airport lobby, I thought they had red bows on their chest and were traveling in a group to return home to their parents, etc. But as I approached them, I saw that I mistook the red China flag for the red bows. And they were not grouped together to take a rest in the lobby, but rather on high alert standing side-by-side looking out at various directions. I could only pick out they had rifles up close. From afar they REALLY look like fresh PLA recruits returning home on vacation!

BTW, how can they be in transit, when one of them walked around with a rifle outside the airport gate, while his companion lugged around a police shield/barricade? It was not a PAP shield, just a regular police shield that was found scattered in various locations throughout the airport like fire extinguishers!

Also, why would PLA soldiers in transit hold their (loaded) guns like this when it's more convenient to carry them unloaded on their backs?

View attachment 67202
One type of army transit training involves the use of civilian facilities for large-scale, heavily armed transit. They use civilian means of transport such as civil aviation, high-speed trains, subways and ships.
When transiting, soldiers carry guns and tactical backpacks. However, all the guns do not have bullets inside.
When the PLA conducts the transit, the PAP, which is responsible for the security of the area, will act as the perimeter guard and defence. Because of their similar clothing, they could easily be misled.
Only when there are no PAPs in the vicinity will the PLA be guarded and defended by its own guard force.
SWAT will also be involved in cordon and defence.

The PLA began phasing out the light infantry service after the 2016 military reforms. The army now rarely uses civilian transport to directly transfer soldiers.

Again.
PLA is not involved in any urban armed patrol missions. Any armed patrol soldier you see in a city is a PAP.
In cities, guard posts for military establishments are PLA and guard posts for important civilian establishments are PAP.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back