Russia-Ukraine War - News, Discussions & Updates

The Brigade that invaded Kursk is the brigade tasked with defending the Sumy area so they are not using some frontline brigade that was seeing combat and whatever brigades following will likely come from sectors that aren't taking part in combat like Kyiv and brigades west of Kyiv.

Having said that this was not some random opportunity they saw and took advantage of this was planned and likely in the works for weeks. What their goal is who knows but it looks like they invaded with a plan and very well prepared for Russian reinforcements. By taking HiMARS and maybe even ATACMS they pretty much have a sorta air support for their offensive and they also learned their lesson from last years failed offensive by using FPV drones to take out Russian attack gunships which wreaked havoc on Ukraine armored vehicles last years offensive. Ukraine already took down 2-3 gunships putting a stop of their use. The lack of Russian attack fighters says that Ukraine likely brought with them couple of mobile PAC-2 launchers and are sitting just over the border with the radar somewhere around Sumy seeing deep inside Russian airspace.

It's going to be interesting these next few days seeing what Ukraine's goal actually is and see if they can still attack Russian columns sent to reenforce.
Talked to a Lt Col friend of mind and ask him his take

He said the most obvious motive for doing this is to draw Russian formation out of Eastern Ukraine, the fact that the Russia had massed 15k troop in the region just about 3 months ago, that saying something, maybe they see thru the Russian and thinking they can get away with this? I don't know, that remain to be seen, but whatever they were doing, it seems like they are going according to the Ukrainian plan. Unless it was Russian plan to have them look stupid......

This is a supported attack, they shot down Su-25 fighter and gunship means they have at least some Anti-Air defence in the area, there were report that Russian killed a Ukrainian Buk-2 but that remain to be seen. At this point, nothing seems certain other than the fact that the support level of this attack makes me think this is a long-haul engagement, they are there to fight it out until their position is untenable. No prospective that the Ukrainian can hold on to those gain indefinitely, but if they are holding it now, that mean they are there doing something, as with my last post, we need more time to find out.

The rumors are they sent around 3 brigades into Kursk region, up to a division worth of people, so that's a bit large for just a distraction. And the people they sent are the veterans and one of the most battle ready people they have. THis is the push by the looks of it, it's the all or nothing move.
The battle started with 1 single Brigade, that's 22nd, they may not reinforce that with something, I don't know as I has not caught up with this.

This is not a push, again, there are no prospective to push into Russia and gain anything, other than losing resource and troop, even dumbest of the dumb commander with their thumb up their arse will not do this if they don't have an ulterior motive.

If they want to push, they will have push in Kharkiv region, not into Russia territories.

Hitler's army got the knock out blow at Kursk. After Kursk, Hitler was on the backfoot. Not a good idea to invade Kursk.

The battle started with 1 single Brigade, that's 22nd, they may not reinforce that with something, I don't know as I has not caught up with this.

This is not a push, again, there are no prospective to push into Russia and gain anything, other than losing resource and troop, even dumbest of the dumb commander with their thumb up their arse will not do this if they don't have an ulterior motive.

If they want to push, they will have push in Kharkiv region, not into Russia territories.

That is the estimated number I have read up on Ukrainian incursion, they are an amalgamation of detached units from some of Ukraine's remaining best brigades which were kept in reserve (equipped mostly with Western equipment: Marders, Strykers, Bradleys ..) as well as some of their best drone detachments, some of these even redeployed from existing battlefronts. Thus the heavy drone swarms.
After initial confusion, even if they hold on their gains, it deprives Ukraine of these precious resources, while giving RU an opportunity to destroy these units. And retreat always implies losses. In fact one of specs of this war, is the high casualties "ad itinere" in other words going to and from the battlefield.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back