Tesla Vehicles Megathread

It's you. You can't see I'm dealing with an intentional thread troller.
Okay you right I was seeing 1600k for all BYD models vs 400k but if you say so it's possible that it's just 2 but it's seem to be 16..
I am gonna recheck my vision today

Glad I joined this thread or I wouldn't noticed it

Yet can't match tiny EV startups with 2years of experience.

Such as? Give an example please of these "tiny EV startups" that have actually publicly rolled out their FSD (vs being just loud vaporware) in a consumer level car...oh and if you mean Xpeng...you can only drive it in a limited area...and this is YEARS after they have been talking about it.

China’s Xpeng aims to make semi-autonomous driving technology available across mainland by end-2024​

• The company’s X NGP software, currently available in five mainland Chinese cities, will be rolled out in another 45 by the end of December

Meanwhile Tesla FSD has been widely available for all roads in the US and Canada for Tesla owners since November of 2022.

Come on @StraightEdge lets get that "tiny EV startup" list of publicly released to their FSD driving software in a consumer level car...we are all waiting for you....should be easy to generate...spit it out...let's go..times a wasting..LOL!

Last edited:
100% AI using just cameras and road maps

Last edited:
No need to get agitated for a comment so much, calm down. In China there were large scale winter tests done recently to check the various parameters of car from EBS, ACC, battery charging and performance in cold weather etc.,. In most tests Tesla fared pretty underwhelming. You can find the results if you search the internet. Not saying everyone else passed, but Tesla failed the hype it had about it's intelligent solutions.
An example -

I simply can't believe they don't provide Lidar on such expensive cars. That's simply incredible cost cutting. Not to mention you pay extra for such intelligent driving features ($15,000 right?). Compared to the price one pays, this is like Siri in Apple. They have been at it for a decade now, still in beta/testing etc.,

As for the remark about 2yr old startups, I was referring to Huawei etc., Barely in the automative industry for couple of years and look at their progress in self driving tech. Nobody can argue Tesla's solution look underwhelming even after 10years of work.

I don't understand how FSD works since, legally, you are required to keep your hands on the steering wheel anyway.

battery charging and performance in cold weather etc.

LOL! Nice dancing...no mention of any released FSD...what a shocker!!
So in other words you can't find any LIDAR FSD system in a consumer car being used by the Chinese public on all roads so to make up for it you are attempting to go on an odd tangent about batteries in a full self driving thread!!

As for the remark about 2yr old startups, I was referring to Huawei etc.
You do realize Huawei has given up on the strategy of using dynamic LIDAR scanning being matched to retrieved LIDAR premaps using their fast 5G system..right?

April 26, 2023

Huawei scraps expensive precision maps in self-driving cars​

Chinese tech companies seek alternative navigation systems

GUANGZHOU -- Huawei and other Chinese self-driving car companies are developing alternative technologies to high-definitions maps as the precision required for autonomous vehicles makes the mapping process prohibitively expensive.
"High-definition maps are very expensive," said Huawei senior executive Yu Chengdong at Auto Shanghai show on April 16. "We have been collecting data in Shanghai for one or two years, but we still have not been able to cover all 9,000 kilometers of the city's roads."

🤫 This is one of the alternatives some of those Chinese car companies (BYD, NIO, ZEEKR, etc) are choosing....going to an 🇺🇸 company for an out-of-the-box FSD solution. Funny how that turned out eh?

Xpeng launches new P5: Removes LiDAR option, cuts to just 2 trims

Xpeng Drops Lidar from European Launch of G9 SUV to Focus on Competitive Pricing

Last edited:
I don't understand how FSD works since, legally, you are required to keep your hands on the steering wheel anyway.

Obviously depends on the local country laws...but apparently GM has been getting away with it with its "Super Cruise" as cameras are watching your eyes so you don't have to touch the wheel.

How GM's "Super Cruise" Hands-Free Driving Works​

Even Tesla with FSD requires you to occasionally touch the wheel (you can see it in the various posted videos in this thread with below steering wheel taps)

Last edited:

Last edited:
Obviously that particular poster decided not to view the video. What a shocker. Lidar or no Lidar? Tesla doesn't have Lidar, that's all it matters. You are welcome to pay premium for garbage quality cars.
What's the point of FSD if it can't even detect an elephant size car?

Last edited:
Obviously depends on the local country laws...but apparently GM has been getting away with it with its "Super Cruise" as cameras are watching your eyes so you don't have to touch the wheel.

Even Tesla with FSD requires you to occasionally touch the wheel (you can see it in the various posted videos in this thread with below steering wheel taps)

All these companies are scared to death of lawsuits which is why they are effectively saying to treat FSD like cruise control. The responsibility ultimately lies with the human driver. The driver is expected to take over at a moment's notice.

I think FSD will be challenged in courts as a distraction that causes humans to pay less attention to driving. That's just my guess and it will obviously depend on which side has the best lawyers.

I could be wrong. I was wrong about Uber; I didn't think they would be allowed to compete unfairly with the taxi industry which has to comply with a host of regulations.

All these companies are scared to death of lawsuits which is why they are effectively saying to treat FSD like cruise control. The responsibility ultimately lies with the human driver. The driver is expected to take over at a moment's notice.

I think FSD will be challenged in courts as a distraction that causes humans to pay less attention to driving. That's just my guess and it will obviously depend on which side has the best lawyers.

I could be wrong. I was wrong about Uber; I didn't think they would be allowed to compete unfairly with the taxi industry which has to comply with a host of regulations.

Certainly carmakers have already been implementing incredibly dangerous options for decades.

Cruise control became a common option across car brands in the 1980's. I never used it because I considered it incredibly dangerous. Back then you set the car speed to whatever you wanted and the car blindly obeyed no matter where you were on what was in front of you. Plow through a schoolyard full of kids..sure. Drive until it ran out of gas across some roadless desert...no problem. Keep driving blindly at 75mph on the highway if you had a heart attack and died..you bet!

A dead man's switch is a switch that is designed to be activated or deactivated if the human operator becomes incapacitated, such as through death, loss of consciousness, or being bodily removed from control. Originally applied to switches on a vehicle or machine, it has since come to be used to describe other intangible uses, as in computer software.

Of course you can expect driverless cars to be abused.
I can see people hiring a driverless UBER and telling the car to drive to someone's house at 3am and blare the horn for a while and then leave.

Last edited:

Last edited:

JATO Dynamics: Tesla Model Y to be crowned world’s best-selling vehicle of 2023​

Tesla is on course to take the crown for the world’s best-selling vehicle in 2023, with the Model Y securing the top spot across the majority of global markets. Despite only being founded in 2003, the electric vehicle (EV) manufacturer has sparked a seismic shift in the automotive landscape, creating an electric model that has outperformed its counterparts and broken records to become the first EV to lead the global market.

While a small number of markets are yet to release their sales figures for 2023, preliminary data* collected by JATO Dynamics indicates that the Model Y is in an unassailable position, with 1.23 million units sold between January and December 2023 – marking a 64% increase year-on-year.

Felipe Munoz, Global Analyst at JATO Dynamics, commented: “The increase in global sales of the Model Y is unprecedented, particularly for a vehicle in the top ten best-sellers. What Tesla has been able to achieve with the Model Y in such a short space of time is simply remarkable.”

Worlds-Top-3-in-2023-2-scaled.jpg

The Model Y led the way for sales in both Europe and China, the world’s two largest EV markets. According to data from the China Association of Automobile Manufacturers (CAAM), more than 456,000 units were shipped China in 2023 – marking an increase of 45% from 2022. In Europe, registrations of the Model Y soared above consistently high performers such as the Dacia Sandero, Peugeot 208, and Volkswagen T-Roc. Data from 30 markets shows that more than 255,000 units of the Model Y were registered – this being 19,000 units more than the second most popular vehicle, the Dacia Sandero.

Munoz added: “The average retail price of a Tesla Model Y in November 2023 was 18% and 23% lower than the average cost of an EV in Germany and USA respectively. The price cuts over the course of the year combined with Tesla’s reputation as a reliable and competitive EV manufacturer, helped to fuel already high demand. As a result, Tesla is front of mind for many consumers looking to purchase an EV.”

Official deliveries data from Tesla also shows that the Model Y accounted for two in three deliveries by the OEM in 2023.

Toyota dethroned​

According to the preliminary data, 2023 will mark the end of Toyota’s top position in the model ranking, with the RAV4 and Corolla having led the global rankings in recent years. Munoz, continued: “Toyota has a strong presence worldwide, with the RAV4 (an SUV) and the Corolla (a compact car) making the brand attractive with a diverse offering. However, both models lack pure electric options, with only offer hybrid alternatives. While Toyota still experienced a strong year in 2023, the RAV4 and Corolla are simply unable to compete in the electric car market, which is becoming increasingly established and important across Europe and China.”

Despite this, the second best-selling vehicle in 2023 is set to be the Toyota RAV4, with 1.07 million units currently sold globally – up from 1.02 million units in 2022, when it led the global market. With all body-types included, Toyota’s Corolla occupied third place in the rankings, according to the preliminary data.

*The data accounts global light vehicle sales in 2023, with all larger markets covered (including the US, Europe, China, and India). Remaining market data will be published during Q2 2024.

The data has been collated from North America, Europe, China, Australia, New Zealand, India, South Korea, Russia, Turkey, Israel, Japan, Taiwan, South Africa, Philippines. Also included is data from the largest markets in Latin America (Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Mexico, and Uruguay), and some in Southeast Asia (Indonesia and Vietnam). Figures for the Middle East (Bahrain, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, UAE, and Yemen), North Africa (Algeria, Egypt, Morocco, and Tunisia), Hong Kong, Malaysia, Thailand, Kazakhstan, Singapore, and Pakistan are preliminary, with forecasts of December 2023 based on existing data.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back