The Indian Buddhist Origins of the Chinese Beef Taboo

Menthol

Aug 2, 2017
Cow and horse were working animals.

That's why Chinese people didn't eat it.

The same with the role of dog and cat in the West.

But in modern time, cow is no longer a working animal and there's breeds of cow for food.

Now everyone eat beef.

Han Patriot

Jan 23, 2024
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Cow and horse were working animals.

That's why Chinese people didn't eat it.

The same with the role of dog and cat in the West.

But in modern time, cow is no longer a working animal and there's breeds of cow for food.

Now everyone eat beef.
The thing is he doesn't know beef is premium meat in China. Only Hindoos worship cows, real Buddhist don't worship cows, they don't even worship Budha.

hualushui

Dec 26, 2023
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
We Chinese have been eating beef for thousands of years.

Find an Indian origin for Chinese culture, and your vanity will be satisfied, right?

suriya

Jan 14, 2024
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
The thing is he doesn't know beef is premium meat in China. Only Hindoos worship cows, real Buddhist don't worship cows, they don't even worship Budha.
Mr Han, I've posted the video where foreign experts are gave their views about Buddhist attitude towards beef eating

Hindus also don't worship cows, they merely revere her Gau mata or mother whose milk provides sustenance.

Menthol

Aug 2, 2017
Mr Han, I've posted the video where foreign experts are gave their views about Buddhist attitude towards beef eating

Hindus also don't worship cows, they merely revere her Gau mata or mother whose milk provides sustenance.

From what I know Buddhism doesn't forbid to eat beef.

But some sects recommend the followers to be vegetarians.

I know some Chinese who doesn't eat beef because he doesn't like the smell.

Me, myself doesn't eat goat, because I dislike the smell, as well as other exotic meat.

According to Buddhism, especially the monk, Buddhists are not allowed to eat meat from animal that purposely killed for them.

Like for example, usually in Chinese restaurant, they want fresh fish, so they choose a life fish in the aquarium to be killed, cooked, and then eaten.

Or in the past, when we visit a friend in the village, the host for the sake to serve us some food, they killed a chicken to be cooked for us to eat.

Those are actually forbidden, highly not recommended.

Sacrifice animal for worshiping or praying is also forbidden in Buddhism.

How can you get a good karma, by doing a bad karma?

The soul of the sacrificed animal will do revenge in the future.

For people who are sensitive, they usually recommend us not to eat meat.

As we know from ghost stories, usually things or bodies from dead people are haunted by the soul of the dead.

The same with the animal body.

Usually when we eat animal meat (aka corpse), the animal soul will stay in our body, especially around our belly.

I don't know what is the name in English. Attached soul in our body? In-dwelling spirit?

The consequences of having attached soul in our body is really bothersome, it makes our mood down, have negative thought, because of the influence of the attached soul of the dead (even animal).

神威98

Dec 28, 2023
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Freshly killed chicken tastes a lot better than refrigerated chicken. Same applies to most other things like vegetables.

Menthol

Aug 2, 2017
Freshly killed chicken tastes a lot better than refrigerated chicken. Same applies to most other things like vegetables.

Yup, that's true.

It tastes better (because it's not yet being soaked with water from the ice), more juice (not dry), smell fresh (not rotten).

Users who are viewing this thread