The LARGEST LIBRARY in the World is in China (But Where Are the Books?)

We have rec centre here. Its mostly sports activities. Some rehab stuff and so on.

Some smaller neighbourhoods combine rec centre and library.

Mostly old folks with rehab requirements meet there. Or folks who want to swim or some clubs who want space. For folks who want to read or meet other readers, they go to library.

If library is in rec centre, they go into library inside rec centre.

I mean... its very basic stuff.... I do not see a point of debate here.
Then all I can say is your rec center is different than ours

Because ours does this

Maybe they are for rehab for kids? I don't know..........

Well, yeah. Different countries or provinces or cities do organize differently.

In BC Canada, mostly cities have neighbourhood libraries and rec centres are separate.

This is our rec centre...
View attachment 63891

This is our library
View attachment 63892

I guess in China they have dedicated large libraries and rec centres.
Well, rec center in the US also does all that, but it also has all purpose room for resident to gather or have classes and so on. This is what Tucson, AZ (previously I used Pittsburgh, PA) offer for classes in their park and rec

https://www.tucsonaz.gov/Departments/Parks-and-Recreation/Classes-and-Programs

While a common library is like this (This is Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh)

1725841669598.png

In Australia (at least in NSW) Library, Rec and Community Hall are separate.

Library (Max Webber Library in Blacktown)

1725841800975.png

1725841832925.png

This is Community Center (Also operate by Council)

1725841936385.png
1725841991127.png
1725842009653.png

Those are standalone community hall, you can also hire Town Hall or Meeting Room in a town hall for whatever function

While Sporting Ground are seperate entity

Things have context. If I want to meeting with other folks interested in shooting, I hang around at shooting range. If I am into swimming, I visit community swimming pool. If I am into reading, hanging around in library is a good thing. Read books, find folks who are into reading or may be specific stuff you are into.

I mean if I hang around in city hall, I am more likely to run into folks who are there to get approval on their home plans.

People visiting library typical go there to meet and/or read or take their kids to meet and read.
The main point @j_hungary want to make that now knowledge is more abundant on digital platform than on physical platform like books

Like in Indonesia, book stores are nowadays difficult to survives.

Like me, I have many book in PDF format stored in my computer related to my upskilling in my industry.

I learn alot from Youtube and Chat GPT as well related to my work.

Professional Group in Linkedin is also source of knowledge

The main point @j_hungary want to make that now knowledge is more abundant on digital platform than on physical platform like books

Like me, I have many book in PDF format stored in my computer related to my upskilling in my industry.

Physical books needs paper = cost. The same like printed newspaper.

Digital format reduce cost hugely. Maybe later I want to make digital book business.....Just need VPS hosting for website, no need to spend huge money to get a space in popular malll in Jakarta and hire many workers to serve customers. With this my website can have market to whole Indonesia as well....

I know, I have acknowledged that and my counter point is that library is not just purely about books but book reading in a social context as well.

Last edited:
Physical books needs paper = cost. The same like printed newspaper.
If cost is shared between a lot of people, its impact is very less. Also, teaching someone to develop a reading habit is much easier with physical books. Thats how I am teaching my kid to develop a reading habit.

Well, rec center in the US also does all that, but it also has all purpose room for resident to gather or have classes and so on. This is what Tucson, AZ (previously I used Pittsburgh, PA) offer for classes in their park and rec
That is a different social context. Thats like a club meeting. Thats common in Canada too. My wife is an amateur/semi-professional classical dancer, she has this club of dancers and they book rooms in rec centre for that. The point is, they all know each other.

Library is more of this place where people show up, many times who do not know each other and read or sometimes even talk about topics. I have seen many folks in my neighbourhood library do that. Its more like how you meet people in park. People who are walking dogs. Except here they are reading books. I know I have gained many new acquaintances with other parents teaching their kids to develop a healthy reading habit (thats how I use library these days).

If cost is shared between a lot of people, its impact is very less. Also, teaching someone to develop a reading habit is much easier with physical books. Thats how I am teaching my kid to develop a reading habit.
Personally I still want book stores to survives and library to survives as well. But with current time, I predict both book stores and public libraries in Jakarta will not expand.

Ya phisical books are still used nowadays, even old folks still read printed newspaper.

Reading physical book is still awesome but PDF format is lot cheaper and there are many free version as well that we can find.

But physical book for medical study I think will keep popular despite medical books are expensive.

The satisfaction of reading physical books that cannot be replaced by PDF format still exist in my opinion for comics and novel. My best 2 novels I read is novel about lawyer who work for public and Harry Potter (I regarded it as Novel personally).

That is a different social context. Thats like a club meeting. Thats common in Canada too. My wife is an amateur/semi-professional classical dancer, she has this club of dancers and they book rooms in rec centre for that. The point is, they all know each other.

Library is more of this place where people show up, many times who do not know each other and read or sometimes even talk about topics. I have seen many folks in my neighbourhood library do that. Its more like how you meet people in park. People who are walking dogs. Except here they are reading books. I know I have gained many new acquaintances with other parents teaching their kids to develop a healthy reading habit (thats how I use library these days).
Well, we aren't talking about clubs in rec center......I am talking about community event.

We had people who don't know each other going to rec center to do classes (I myself learn how to pot in the local rec center with a bunch of rando) and also places where people meet up and exchange things (Comic Books and Games and so on) even some AA Meeting was done in Rec Center.....

Library are generally reserved for all thing books, study group and so on, and that's the issue, since books are moving digital, these type of meet up no longer require to be in a physical library, all you need is a Tablet or Notebook computer. While I get that you want to develop reading habit in kids like @LeGenD but you don't need a Library to do that nowadays

Libraries in China is not only about keep paper books, also a place where people enjoy reading and study, that's trait set China different from some other countries, and self reading room industry is booming in China for the same reason.
China invests money in public facilites like subways, railways, museums, sports centers, highways because those are China's investment priorities, but that money is rather pale when comparing to US military budget, which is US investment priority, different countries have different priorities. You guys don't have to worry, those spending for the general public won't bankrupt China.

Libraries in China is not only about keep paper books, also a place where people enjoy reading and study, that's trait set China different from some other countries, and self reading room industry is booming in China for the same reason.
China invests money in public facilites like subways, railways, museums, sports centers, highways because those are China's investment priorities, but that money is rather pale when comparing to US military budget, which is US investment priority, different countries have different priorities. You guys don't have to worry, those spending for the general public won't bankrupt China.
1. People all over world enjoy reading.

2. USA/West had all these facilities since .... forever. China is developing that public infra in past 30 years or so because previously it did not have enough money.

1. People all over world enjoy reading.

2. USA/West had all these facilities since .... forever. China is developing that public infra in past 30 years or so because previously it did not have enough money.
But they don't go to physical libraries anymore
微信图片_20240908230921.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back