UAE commits to investing $10 billion in Pakistan

agidest

Mar 6, 2024
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
What chip on my shoulder could it be when you are actively ignoring the 15% - without acknowledging that their presence has an impact on relationships as well.
I am not all-knowing. This discussion forum exists for a purpose - which is to share ideas. If you feel that the Indian Muslim community (in particular and relative to the other Indians in the Middle East) helped increase India's standing/perception there then please say so clearly instead of getting 'offended' on why I did not point out Muslims when talking of Indians in general.

At a macro level, India's rise is directly affecting and (generally) improving how Indians are perceived in other nations. It started from being considered snake charmers and labourers. Also, UAE and KSA's relationship with India has increased because India offers a large market for their products and for larger-scale capital investments.

But any meaningful relationship has to be both state to state and people to people as well. Both feed into each other. It seems the state-to-state relations are excellent. I don't have first-hand knowledge of the people-to-people relationship between Indians and Arabs in ME or the overt racial hierarchical preferences (I hear that's a big thing in ME).

hussain

Nov 24, 2022
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
This is extremely disturbing. $10bn investment is announced, but no details? Invested in what? SOE's, Coal, oil etc?

I think it's just an excuse by the UAE, to maintain good relations. Nothing is going to come out of it.

I will be really happy, if proven wrong.

Oscar

Mar 28, 2009
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
I am not all-knowing. This discussion forum exists for a purpose - which is to share ideas. If you feel that the Indian Muslim community (in particular and relative to the other Indians in the Middle East) helped increase India's standing/perception there then please say so clearly instead of getting 'offended' on why I did not point out Muslims when talking of Indians in general.

At a macro level, India's rise is directly affecting and (generally) improving how Indians are perceived in other nations. It started from being considered snake charmers and labourers. Also, UAE and KSA's relationship with India has increased because India offers a large market for their products and for larger-scale capital investments.

But any meaningful relationship has to be both state to state and people to people as well. Both feed into each other. It seems the state-to-state relations are excellent. I don't have first-hand knowledge of the people-to-people relationship between Indians and Arabs in ME or the overt racial hierarchical preferences (I hear that's a big thing in ME).
Then you will understand why I find that irksome considering the already acerbic opinions by the 85% majority against the 15% that the 15%(not the 1% that make up the US but a sizable number).

So when you say they dont have religious affinity it has played a small role especially in letting Indians land roles not suitable for non-muslims but because of their overall better perception. So it is not an aspect completely ignored.

India overall rise, coupled with the potential for this 15% to make inroads in the religious tourism sector position it in a much more favorable position to repeat the expat and investment success it has seen in the UAE versus either Pakistan or Bangladesh even with their majority being co-religious.

Dec 18, 2023
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
UAE won't invest anything. They talk big and never invest anything. Their investment promises in India are also only on paper.

Lulldapull

SpeedLimited
Oct 21, 2006
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
This is extremely disturbing. $10bn investment is announced, but no details? Invested in what? SOE's, Coal, oil etc?

I think it's just an excuse by the UAE, to maintain good relations. Nothing is going to come out of it.

I will be really happy, if proven wrong.
In key bhund lugga deni hae irani’s nay, just up da road….aur phir in saaron nay hamaray paas bhaag ker aana hae k saanu bachaeeen paleej! Twaanu kuchh vi denay ko tyaar hain gay….😝…….Just watch……khotay de putter don’t know what’s up…..😝…….we are patient.

ziaulislam

Elite Member
Apr 22, 2010
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Others have already pointed out what a buffoon Ayub Khan was.

To add to his other mistakes, his biggest screwup was to reject China's offer in 1962 to take Kashmir and finish off the issue once and for all.

As for the UAE investment, it is just a photo op. The article mentioned no time frame for the investment. Is it 10 billion over five years, ten, hundred?
He was told by some develop nuclear weapons as India is

His answer. We will buy it if needed

PakCan

Jan 7, 2024
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
OP forgot about $100 billion our Army Chief was able to negotiate with the martians. Delegation from Mars is delayed due to solar winds but they promised to visit Pakistan as soon as the weather improves.

Dalit

Elite Member
Mar 16, 2012
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Indeed, this is a fact when discussing business with some UAE counterparts. The latest figures by The Economist based on the Indian Embassy in the UAE stated that 60% of Chief Financial Officers of major firms are of Indian Origin in the UAE. They are 37% of the population while Pakistan is approximately 18%, and rarely does it occupy an executive C-Suite post. Out of 3,000 start-ups in 2022, the Indians were 200. Add to this, the majority of new fund managers are Indians.

Now, as to why the Emirates will prefer India for investment purposes, it's because the Indians control the purse and pulse of the economy. When one is at the helm you can steer the ship at your will.

I don't know how true Rothchild's statement is attributed to them: "Let us control the money of a country, and we care not who makes its laws." But regardless the meaning holds true.

We truly are an embarrassed nation on the world stage. I say this with a heavy heart as I am a Pakistani, but it's a bitter pill we have to swallow.

I studied the Ayub Khan Era the so-called Golden Era of Pakistan; it was nothing but aid and grants pumping the economy. He subsided imports to make things affordable for the common man but more so for the few at the top, which is a waste. It went as far as subsidizing luxury vehicles, purses, perfumes, etc. for a nation that was newly created a decade prior; any little development he did, he offloaded those assets penny on the dollar to the few industrial families of the country.

He gave control to these families in various governmental agencies, most prominently the Dawood Family of Dawood Hercules. They issued export permits and gave few authorizations to other smaller companies, hampering growth. This allowed these families to grow to such an outsized influence that they married into bureaucratic families to control policies.

During Ayub's rule, it's estimated that his government took in $6 billion in aid and grants on the low end, equivalent to $58 billion in today's dollar terms. Imagine if the funds were utilized correctly where we would be standing today. To give a general idea, if we used the compound interest formula, let's say we just had $ 6 billion to work with and a growth rate of 5% per year from 1951 to 2024. That $ 6 billion starting point as GDP would be approximately $ 129 billion; this simplified calculation does not consider re-investment and other growth factors.

All we got from Bhutto and his father (Ayub) when they protested against American Vietnam policies after the aid meeting was delayed is below:

“If we are not going to be ruled from No. 10 Downing Street,” said another, “then, by God, we are not going to be ruled by Wall Street.” Next day Ayub himself took up the cry: “If friendship impinges on the sovereignty and independence of our country and is against our interests, we no longer desire such friendship.”

Once Pakistani tempers cooled, negotiations could continue. For the moment, Pakistan was suffering an acute case of hurt pride, and as one U.S. official admitted ruefully.

Very well described. That is what these generals have been doing for an eternity. Aid, aid and more aid. Not a single dictator that took over moved away from aid. I guess the generals became addicted to aid. It is easy money. Once your economy becomes dependent on aid and loans you are stuck in that spiral. Now the chickens have come home to roost. It dries up at some point. The aid has dried up and the old senile generals are finding it difficult.

Dalit

Elite Member
Mar 16, 2012
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Total collapse of economy in just 2 years after regime change. No wonder why no one is interested investment in a state where nation's mandate is not respected.

Whenever investment annoucements are made, they are specific about where in which plant, in which project that will go. This statement has absolutely ZERO meaning.

Not even one dollar investment coming. Stop Fooling the nation. Fix your country first, fake govt can NEVER bring any investment

Investors look at the resume of leaders in charge. Tell me what you see when you look at the resume of Pakistani leaders? These are ordinary cheats and charlatans who fill their own pockets. The past record speaks for itself.

This isn’t an investment. This is just an umpteenth MoU that won’t come to fruition. The GCC Arabs are toying with these two pence worth leaders.

Last edited:

Lulldapull

SpeedLimited
Oct 21, 2006
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Gents don’t insult or denigrate our military. They have their short comings but they are not responsible for our economic plight today. The blame for our current situation rests on the shoulders of our corrupt waderay/ chaudhry and bad establishment characters and MNA’s. Army bichari kya karay in haramion ka? Kill them? The whole establishment is corrupt/ badmash. Army is just after securing its own interests or we’re not even goin have a country:

Dalit

Elite Member
Mar 16, 2012
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Gents don’t insult or denigrate our military. They have their short comings but they are not responsible for our economic plight today. The blame for our current situation rests on the shoulders of our corrupt waderay/ chaudhry and bad establishment characters and MNA’s. Army bichari kya karay in haramion ka? Kill them? The whole establishment is corrupt/ badmash. Army is just after securing its own interests or we’re not even goin have a country:

They should cull them on an industrial scale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Pakistan Defence Latest