United States elections 2024

Reporter Asks Donald Trump: Has Kamala Harris ‘Thrown You Off Your Game?’​

Trump’s Truth Social meltdown: Trump posts 59 times during Harris' DNC speech​

Brownstein makes prediction on impact of RFK Jr.'s Trump endorsement​

How much does RFK Jr. help Trump?? (New 2024 Election Prediction)​

@Sharma Ji

If Dems jail Trump then JD Vance / RFK Jr. become the GOP ticket. I think Dems would lose against that ticket so they won't jail Trump.

Will Donald Trump Be Sentenced to Prison in September? What We Know​

Published Aug 24, 2024 at 4:00 AM EDT

Donald Trump's Presentencing Interview Completed: What We Know
By Sean O'Driscoll
Senior Crime and Courts Reporter

Donald Trump is unlikely to be jailed for the Stormy Daniels falsifying records case, legal experts have said.

Trump is due to be sentenced on September 18, less than two months before the presidential election.

Judge Juan Merchan delayed the sentencing from July to September so that he could consider the impact of the Supreme Court's recent presidential immunity decision.

donald trump

Former U.S. President Donald Trump sits in the courtroom during his hush money trial at Manhattan Criminal Court on May 20, 2024 in New York City. He was convicted and is due to be sentenced... More MICHAEL M. SANTIAGO/GETTY IMAGES

Trump, the presumptive Republican presidential nominee, faced trial in New York City on 34 counts of falsifying business records for hush money payments made to former adult film actor Stormy Daniels.

On May 30, a jury convicted him on all 34 counts.

I want to receive special offers and promotions from Newsweek
By clicking on SIGN ME UP, you agree to Newsweek's Terms of Use & Privacy Policy.You may unsubscribe at any time.
Greg Germain, a law professor at Syracuse University in New York, told Newsweek that he believes an appeal court would strike down any prison term Merchan imposed.

"If Merchan sentenced him to jail in the middle of the election for this records violation, I think the courts would do whatever is necessary to prevent it. We'd be in uncharted waters," he said. "But I don't think Merchan will sentence him to jail. I think there were serious problems with the case and it should be reversed on appeal in due order without upsetting the election cycle."

Former federal prosecutor Neama Rahmani told Newsweek that there is a strong chance that Trump will be sentenced after the election.

"The delay in the sentencing may push Trump's sentencing to after the November election, depending on if Merchan grants a further continuance to consider post-trial motions or if the New York appellate courts grant a stay," he said.

He added that he doesn't think Trump will be jailed regardless of when he is sentenced.

"I think Trump receives a slap on the wrist sentence like a fine or probation regardless of when he's sentenced."

Law professor and former Bush administration official John Yoo said that he believed Trump could be sentenced to prison.

Woo was appearing on America's Newsroom on Fox News on August 14.

Yoo, a law professor at the University of California in Berkeley, said that Merchan had already moved the sentencing date closer to the beginning of mail-in voting.

"He could have exercised his discretion here to change the sentencing date. But instead, he actually moved it closer to the beginning of absentee voting in my home state of Pennsylvania."

"Could you imagine what would happen if Judge Merchan sentenced Donald Trump to jail time, even though he's a first time nonviolent offender?" Yoo asked.

"What if Judge Merchan even went crazier and said, Donald Trump doesn't even get to stay out of jail while his case is on appeal? He has the power to actually order Donald Trump sent to jail immediately, although I expect he wouldn't.

"But this judge has used his discretion every time to try to force this trial in a political direction that will have an effect on the election."

Yoo was speaker at the 2024 National Conservatism Conference in Washington, D.C., and he is the author of Defender-in-Chief: Trump's Fight for Presidential Power.

Democrats bigfoot Republican culture narratives as Trump slide continues​

‘It’s indicative of the contrast between who Trump is,’ as Harris campaign eyes battleground states​

Trump Businesses GOBBLE UP Republican Campaign Cash​

'Trump's grasping.' The Nightcap's DNC Recap​

This Is The ‘Gigantic Challenge’ Facing Donald Trump When It Comes To Kamala Harris: Chris Cillizza​

Here Are The Policy Points Trump Should Focus On In His Debate Against Harris: Expert Explains​

Hayes: Harris must hand Trump ‘undeniable’ loss in 2024 election​

Donald Trump Polls Arizona Voters On Kamala Harris Nickname: ‘Do I Call Her Comrade Kamala?’​

RFK JR. Suspends His Campaign and ENDORSES DONALD TRUMP - PART 1​

RFK JR. Suspends His Campaign and ENDORSES DONALD TRUMP - PART 2​

RFK Jr. On Stage with Donald Trump at Rally - Reaction!​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back