US Economy - News, Updates and Discussion

dbc

INT'L MOD
Jan 31, 2009
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Taking inflation into account, manufacturing may have dropped per capita. I remember when I was little in the 1990s there used to be GE TVs. Now there's no more GE TVs.
I guess you don't understand the meaning of current USD, my figures are inflation adjusted.

Beijingwalker

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2011
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Global share? China’s manufacturing output in 2021 was 4.5 trillion USD vs 2.5 Trillion for the US. China's Global Share in 2021 was 28% vs 16%, for the US. The US share has increased YoY - while China’s growth has declined since 2020. So you are wrong about US Manufacturing declining.

US manufacturing PMI falls to 47.9 in December​

02 Jan, 2024 15:43

S&P Global's manufacturing PMI fell to 47.9 points in December, down from 49.40 in November and a preliminary reading of 48.2, indicating that manufacturing conditions had deteriorated further last month.

Output returned to a decline and the downturn in new orders gathered pace, selling prices increased at the quickest rate since April, and muted client demand led to a third successive monthly drop in employment.

Business confidence, on the other hand, rose to a three-month high.

The manufacturing PMI hit an all-time high of 63.4 in July 2021, while its record low of 36.1 points was recorded in April 2020.

dbc

INT'L MOD
Jan 31, 2009
Country of Origin
Country of Residence

US manufacturing PMI falls to 47.9 in December​

02 Jan, 2024 15:43

S&P Global's manufacturing PMI fell to 47.9 points in December, down from 49.40 in November and a preliminary reading of 48.2, indicating that manufacturing conditions had deteriorated further last month.

Output returned to a decline and the downturn in new orders gathered pace, selling prices increased at the quickest rate since April, and muted client demand led to a third successive monthly drop in employment.

Business confidence, on the other hand, rose to a three-month high.

The manufacturing PMI hit an all-time high of 63.4 in July 2021, while its record low of 36.1 points was recorded in April 2020.

Of course December is the holiday season. What next? Water is wet?

Beijingwalker

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2011
Country of Origin
Country of Residence

14 months in a row – U.S. manufacturing continues to decline​

The American manufacturing sector contracted in December for the 14th consecutive month. The Institute for Supply Management’s index came in at 47.4%, a slight easing from November, but still a decline. Any reading below 50 indicates a contraction.

As of October, the sector is in its longest stretch of decline since the Great Recession in 2008.

Beijingwalker

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2011
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
US industrial and manufacturing sector, which is something truly matters to a country's overall real comprehensive strength, is fast dying.

dbc

INT'L MOD
Jan 31, 2009
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
US industrial and manufacturing sector, which is something truly matters to a country's overall real comprehensive strength, is fast dying.
Oh my! US Manufacturing went from declining to dying in a hurry.
I will withdraw from this discussion. Have a pleasant day Mr. Walker.

samejjangir

Dec 12, 2023
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
US Manufacturing output was 1.4 trillion USD in 1997. 2.5 trillion USD in 2021 both numbers are in current US Dollars. So how exactly is manufacturing shrinking?
The high production figures is because of overpriced semiconductors rather than increased quantity in tonnage. The high production of mobiles and computers using USA made chipsets and electronics are the only lifeline for USA economy. USA has lost ground in everything else - steel, aluminium, automobiles, consumer durables, plastics, clothes, pharma etc.

Users who are viewing this thread