What book are you reading?

The only book I have ever read was recommended by a Pakistan Navy officer so it must be good and it is available to read free online "The Influence of Sea Power Upon History, 1660-1783, by A. T. Mahan"

That's a text.
THE text.
Read my uncle's book "War in the Indian Ocean".
Be careful; he was DNI during 71, to his incoherent fury (he was Fleet Air Arm, but had command of a destroyer squadron before, then a Leopard squadron, then that Alize squadron on the old Vikrant, then Goa, then Kochi, then Vikrant herself (he never failed to brag about docking her in Bandar Abbas without a tug!) hugely impressing the Imperial Iranian Navy sorts hanging around, and getting the officers invited to the Persian Empire party.

@_NOBODY_
@RescueRanger

Are Is either of you on Kindle?

WHY, YOU ORNERY SOBs!

YOU'VE BEEN HAVING FUN! :mad::mad::mad:
The setting that I mentioned in The Disturbing Disappearance of the Franklin Expedition thread was from this novel. Sir, you can have fun too by ordering this book, just don't set your expectations too high. ;)
1704738742156.png

Sir this is the last bastion of the bibliophiles on this forum, here no one bothers us with useless and aimless prattle. Our one sanctuary where we can discuss our love of books to our hearts content.

To quote Walt Disney "There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate’s loot on Treasure Island."
😭😭😭😭😭

You HORRIBLE people.

Sir this is the last bastion of the bibliophiles on this forum, here no one bothers us with useless and aimless prattle. Our one sanctuary where we can discuss our love of books to our hearts content.

To quote Walt Disney "There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate’s loot on Treasure Island."
Curse Walt Disney but he was spitting facts. Long live this goldmine of a thread!

Are Is either of you on Kindle?
Since I prefer physical books, I never bothered to make an account on Kindle. Though I am on Goodreads. I can share my profile if you like.

That's a text.
THE text.
Read my uncle's book "War in the Indian Ocean".
Be careful; he was DNI during 71, to his incoherent fury (he was Fleet Air Arm, but had command of a destroyer squadron before, then a Leopard squadron, then that Alize squadron on the old Vikrant, then Goa, then Kochi, then Vikrant herself (he never failed to brag about docking her in Bandar Abbas without a tug!) hugely impressing the Imperial Iranian Navy sorts hanging around, and getting the officers invited to the Persian Empire party.

@_NOBODY_
@RescueRanger

Are either of you on Kindle?

Sir sadly I don't own a kindle, despite my brother trying to convince me otherwise. I do however read E-Books mainly on my laptop.

However, There is something magical about physically holding a tome in your hand, flicking through its pages, the tactile sensation of the paper as it touches the tips of your fingers, the smell of paper old and new, these sensations are not found in e-books.

So I rally all to my cause and yell "Buy a Book, Kill the KINDLE."

Also, thank you for the recommendation sir, I will give it a search.

Since I prefer physical books, I never bothered to make an account on Kindle. Though I am on Goodreads. I can share my profile if you like.
Oh dear.

I no longer have the money.

Sir perchance is this book "War in the Indian Ocean" available in electronic format. Would love to give it a read.

Sir sadly I don't own a kindle, despite my brother trying to convince me otherwise. I do however read E-Books mainly on my laptop.

However, There is something magical about physically holding a tome in your hand, flicking through its pages, the tactile sensation of the paper as it touches the tips of your fingers, the smell of paper old and new, these sensations are not found in e-books.

So I rally all to my cause and yell "Buy a Book, Kill the KINDLE."

Also, thank you for the recommendation sir, I will give it a search.
@_NOBODY_
@RescueRanger
I am being called urgently to my other forum, and blasted for spending so long on PDF. I might get sacked.
So, quickly, here goes; all these are from Amazon.

I must say I am shocked to see that an old-school lad such as yourself prefers Kindle over physical books.
No money!
What do I do?
Any ideas (oh no, NOT rob a bank)?

@_NOBODY_
@RescueRanger
I am being called urgently to my other forum, and blasted for spending so long on PDF. I might get sacked.
So, quickly, here goes; all these are from Amazon.
Rafael Sabatini - the Captain Blood (original) book
C S Forester - Hornblower - about eight books, stirring.
John Buchan - a bit preposterous, imperialist as hell
G A Henty - makes Kipling sound like a Labour Party hack, the most brilliant adventures. No maps. [Actually need to look again - there ARE maps - ed.]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back