What book are you reading?

Rafael Sabatini - the Captain Blood (original) book
C S Forester - Hornblower - about eight books, stirring.
John Buchan - a bit preposterous, imperialist as hell
G A Henty - makes Kipling sound like a Labour Party hack, the most brilliant adventures. No maps.
Thank you so much for taking the time to share these books. I will pick up The Captain Blood sometime after this month ends and try my best to finish it before July ends.

Sir perchance is this book "War in the Indian Ocean" available in electronic format. Would love to give it a read.
I think it's out of print. I lost my copy in Dera Bassi.
If either of you is in the UK, his son is currently there, crooning over his first grandchild. He might have a copy.

Hah, hah, HAH!

You can download a reader for free for use on your PC.
But don't you need a Kindle subscription to have access to all the books available on that platform?

@Joe Shearer Sir, you will be able to find Pirate Latitudes on Kindle and if its premise is to your liking then you should give it a shot.

But don't you need a Kindle subscription to have access to all the books available on that platform?
No, load the Kindle app, then buy the Kindle version from Amazon and ask for it to be on your 'device'; in this case, the downloaded PC application, for which you have to give a name.

No, load the Kindle app, then buy the Kindle version from Amazon and ask for it to be on your 'device'; in this case, the downloaded PC application, for which you have to give a name.
I got collected works thingies for ₹40, ₹80 and stuff. There are also expensive books that go to several hundred rupees.

Reecently reread Camus's stranger. Now reading House for Mr Biswas.

I will be spending an hour tomorrow just studying this map. It genuinely makes me feel like I am a privateer who is planning a raid on Matanceros. A true military enthusiast like you would get even more excited about this stuff. Can you recommend me any fiction or non-fiction books involving naval raids and proper military strategies?

@Joe Shearer @Nilgiri @Aesculapian @Shanlung I am sure that you gentlemen must have at least one such recommendation in mind.

I'll read this thread a bit later and get back to you. Joe, rescueranger and others will doubtless give you solid recommendations in interim.

Regd naval raids, most of my unique knowledge on this pertains to Dieppe....as I have close professor friend who's father served in ww2 and lost his brother in that raid. This was part of long story he has given me over time as to explain certain things in life he sees the way he does.

That Caribbean map though is kind of ironic humorous in a certain way....as you can just about make out the island of Grenada (unnamed here)......but the named "Granada" is the vast territory on southern mainland no longer named as such now.

It was older lady working at checkout counter that has added greatly to my knowledge of Grenada over time (I time my visits knowing she's there for a friendly chat etc). She is so very fond of her home country and misses it during these Canadian winters here especially heh.

That first instance I was buying some spices, and she recognised some (we use these for this in Grenada!) but not others which I promptly explained to her. Wonderful accent she has too, Carribean accents are my absolute favourite.

Since I prefer physical books, I never bothered to make an account on Kindle. Though I am on Goodreads. I can share my profile if you like.
Not now. The following books are on my bought_but_sitting_unread list:
  • The Indians: History of a Civilisation
  • The India-China Border: A Reappraisal
  • Mediaeval India: From Sultanat to the Mughals
    Part One: The Delhi Sultanat 1206 - 1526
  • Somanatha: The Many Voices of a History
  • On Ancient Central Asian Tracks
  • Guelphs and Ghibellines
  • Travels of Fah-Hian and Sung-Yun from China to India
  • Ancient and Mediaeval History of Andhra Pradesh
  • India's Long Walk Home
  • The Ocean of Mirth
  • MSS Golwalkar, The RSS and India
  • The Language of History: Sanskrit Narratives of Muslim Pasts

Not now. The following books are on my bought_but_sitting_unread list:
  • The Indians: History of a Civilisation
  • The India-China Border: A Reappraisal
  • Mediaeval India: From Sultanat to the Mughals
    Part One: The Delhi Sultanat 1206 - 1526
  • Somanatha: The Many Voices of a History
  • On Ancient Central Asian Tracks
  • Guelphs and Ghibellines
  • Travels of Fah-Hian and Sung-Yun from China to India
  • Ancient and Mediaeval History of Andhra Pradesh
  • India's Long Walk Home
  • The Ocean of Mirth
  • MSS Golwalkar, The RSS and India
  • The Language of History: Sanskrit Narratives of Muslim Pasts

You should add FInding Forgotten Cities to your list too.

You should add FInding Forgotten Cities to your list too.
What's that about (please don't reply saying it's about finding forgotten cities!)? And who is the author?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back