What book are you reading?

I am currently reading Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton. I pirated a copy from the internet as I couldn't find this book in Pakistan. I will definitely buy the physical copy one day. I have read two chapters and so far I'm loving it.

View attachment 8298

@RescueRanger
@RescueRanger I don't believe what my eyes are seeing. I am ordering this asap.

1704539895684.png

Really impressed by Robert Greene's books.One master piece from him:
Screenshot_20240107_190922.jpg
Recently found a pirated version (from ZLibrary guys on Discord) of "How to Fight a War" by Mike Martin.Came to know about this book from RUSI org.They wrote a review on this book.
Screenshot_20240107_191359.jpg

View attachment 8301
That's can't be right, unless it is one of those poor quality printed paperbacks. There are many poorer quality print paperbacks which use bleached paper and the typeset is wrong. Still readable but not as enjoyable as the original.

But let me know if you buy it, and what it looks like.

That's can't be right, unless it is one of those poor quality printed paperbacks. There are many poorer quality print paperbacks which use bleached paper and the typeset is wrong. Still readable but not as enjoyable as the original.

Readings never lie. I have bought from them multiple times and have never been disappointed. Hopefully, this trend will continue. I will post pics of the book here as soon as I receive it.

Readings never lie. I have bought from them multiple times and have never been disappointed. Hopefully, this trend will continue. I will post pics of the book here as soon as I receive it.
Please do.

According to the ISBN, This particular edition is supposed to have been published by HarperCollins.

View attachment 8301
@RescueRanger I just finished Chapter 7 of this book and I am struggling to put the book down. I won't read further until tomorrow. The setting couldn't have been more perfect. I don't want to say anything else as I would like you to give this book a shot.

@RescueRanger I received the book today. The book is in excellent condition. Even Rs 1000 is a bargain for this level of quality and I bought this is Rs 269 + delivery charges.

IMG_20240108_191836_207.jpg
IMG_20240108_191849_6.jpg
IMG_20240108_191857_512.jpg

Its scent and printing quality are excellent.

IMG_20240108_192339_099.jpg

The artwork is also excellent.

IMG_20240108_192547_945-min.jpg
IMG_20240108_192549_966-min.jpg

If you are currently in Pakistan then I will strongly recommend buying this book from Readings.

@RescueRanger I highly appreciate maps like this for such novels. It makes it so much easier to visualize the geography of a place. This wasn't on the pirated PDF copy of the book that I was using earlier. I had to draw sketches of Matanceros to analyze the geography of the island and its defences and assess how it could be invaded or how I would defend it if I were responsible for its safety based on the descriptions that I was reading. I wish there were more maps in the book.

Compressed_IMG_20240108_192549_966-min.jpg

@RescueRanger I highly appreciate maps like this for such novels. It makes it so much easier to visualize the geography of a place. This wasn't on the pirated PDF copy of the book that I was using earlier. I had to draw sketches of Matanceros to analyze the geography of the island and its defences and assess how it could be invaded or how I would defend it if I were responsible for its safety based on the descriptions that I was reading. I wish there were more maps in the book.

View attachment 9177
Its small attention to details like this that show how much love has gone into immersion and storytelling.

Its small attention to details like this that show how much love has gone into immersion and storytelling.
I will be spending an hour tomorrow just studying this map. It genuinely makes me feel like I am a privateer who is planning a raid on Matanceros. A true military enthusiast like you would get even more excited about this stuff. Can you recommend me any fiction or non-fiction books involving naval raids and proper military strategies?

@Joe Shearer @Nilgiri @Aesculapian @Shanlung I am sure that you gentlemen must have at least one such recommendation in mind.

I will be spending an hour tomorrow just studying this map. It genuinely makes me feel like I am a privateer who is planning a raid on Matanceros. A true military enthusiast like you would get even more excited about this stuff. Can you recommend me any fiction or non-fiction books involving naval raids and proper military strategies?

@Joe Shearer @Nilgiri @Aesculapian @Shanlung I am sure that you gentlemen must have at least one such recommendation in mind.
The Hornblower books for sure. Let me look at what you've been looking at, first.

The only book I have ever read was recommended by a Pakistan Navy officer so it must be good and it is available to read free online "The Influence of Sea Power Upon History, 1660-1783, by A. T. Mahan"

WHY, YOU ORNERY SOBs!

YOU'VE BEEN HAVING FUN! :mad::mad::mad:
Sir this is the last bastion of the bibliophiles on this forum, here no one bothers us with useless and aimless prattle. Our one sanctuary where we can discuss our love of books to our hearts content.

To quote Walt Disney "There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate’s loot on Treasure Island."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back