New York poised for first South Asian - origin and Muslim mayor as Cuomo concedes to Mamdani

Antonio Delgado is the Lt. Gov and he’s running to challenge Hochul. If Mamdani endorses him instead of Hochul, she will have a hard time winning the primary. Delgado will be more beholden to Zohran and be more willing to back his further left agenda. So it’s better for Hochul (and NY business community) to negotiate terms to get his endorsement. Delgado could run on further left campaign and still win on the back of a blue wave.

Delgado is currently at 13.3% and Hochul is around 40-42% in the early polls. But as we saw with Zohran, that can change quick. Zohran and his 100,000 volunteers could mobilize next year for Delgado if Hochul does come to terms with Zohran. Her current measured enthusiasm makes it appear that negotiations are ongoing.
Again, I don't know, but as I said, you can't just endorse anyone; it has to be politically similar to you, otherwise it may seem you go back on your platform. Again, this is how the Democrats lose their edge in 2024 when they start to cosy up with moderate Republicans.

Also Mandani and Cuomo primaries are a lot closer than the Delgado and Hochul; you aren't talking about within 10 points, you are talking about 30 points. Considering Mandani himself only won over Cuomo by 9 points, it does not seem doable, but again, stranger things had happened, so all I can say is I don't know.
 
Dont get too excited. I remember Mr Obama had also visited Pakistan in his youth and was much better travelled than previous US presidents. The guy went native quite fast. We shall see how long Mr Mamdani holds on to his values. Personally I wish him the best.
I understand. I’m realistic and just hope he moves the Overton window so that such blatant Islamophobia is not allowed to be done so callously without pushback from at least normal people, if not from the political culture.

P.s. a Trump campaign manager, Brad parscale, is running a campaign to spread Islamophobia and anti-Arab hate.

Zohran can help call this out. Thanks MTG for highlighting this:
 
Last edited:
To be fair, that poster is talking about ideology differences may trigger a civil war, seeing how "Socialist" Mandani is, and Trump threatens to deploy troops in NYC, that's very much within the NYC race since they elected a socialist, even you participate in that message chain.........
Thus why I am allowing some leeway. But that leeway does have limits.
 
Sure (Roll eyes)
Well I am a negative person in General, if you want me to tell you positives about America that I noticed, create a thread and tag me I will tell you. They might not see a lot because to me positive can be as small as putting the "Workers working Ahead" keep left sign to tell people to be careful while driving, now to you it may not a big thing for me it is because I lived in a Chaotic city where no law matters or no signs are put when workers are working, but just because a host country is good doesn't change the bad part, I won't cheer for US support of Genocide and killing of toddlers in Gaza just because USA was nice to me. You see I have morals and ethics which a lot of you lot lack these days.
You chose to come to America seeking better opportunities, yet you hide behind bitterness while harshly judging those around you. Claiming moral high ground from the sidelines only exposes your inability to embrace the complexity of this country you settled in. If you can’t appreciate the environment you chose, your constant judgment just reveals deep resentment instead of integrity.
 
Washington.

It will only be possible in an effort to regain congress and for the state government to promise to allocate those funds given from Washington to this program.

In Long Island on of the biggest problems is adult children not being able to buy homes near the areas where they grow up. This can be a way to address that issue, but you are right that it’s too much of an effort for just the state or local municipalities to take on.

Long island and NY city are nearly half the state population, and where housing affordability and availability are the most pronounced.

Where will Washington get the money? Repealing the BBB and associated tax cuts, and not pour the saving into healthcare, which is the largest rising costs in the country. Furthermore, grow in defense spending will have to be slowed or reversed; remember Obama’s sequestration. Obviously interest rates will have to be brought down to slow the growth on interest payments on the national debt.

So a lot will have to be done at the federal level, and so it will have to an interconnected pillar of the democratic pillar at the municipal, state and national levels, across all states.
In other words, it is the taxpayers who are going to funding subsidized housing in NY.
 
In other words, it is the taxpayers who are going to funding subsidized housing in NY.
Well , taxpayers have been subsidizing tax cuts for the rich and mega corporations and endless useless wars abroad, so why not a little bit of help for the common people ?

The constitution talks about life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness and I think housing and health are a part of that.
 
And who pays for the subsidies?

TANSTAAFL.

It is how you carve the pie highcountry... fiat is a regenerating organism. Every new cycle splits the existing pie... only that those keeping the tab keep carving more engrossing themselves... I mean who'd blame them...
Everytime the pie splits those on the fixed incomes(salaried, hourly...) get jipped only for the difference generated to be gulped up by those ingratiating themselves... which will always manifest itself in the foem of working poor. Especially in the cities like New York where the process is accelerated manifold.

Take '08 housing crisis for example... it ushered in the age of hedge funds artificially controlling the supply side of the housing market to keep the prices going up and up... result... as intended... staved off another housing crisis for the banks and home prices from crashing but now even fewer can afford a home.

As to Mamdani... I won't vouch for a politician... I'll channel Dubya instead "fool me once, shame on...shame on you. Fool me—you can't get fooled again."
 
Dont get too excited. I remember Mr Obama had also visited Pakistan in his youth and was much better travelled than previous US presidents. The guy went native quite fast. We shall see how long Mr Mamdani holds on to his values. Personally I wish him the best.

Native? He had to prove himself... he went overboard... what Malcolm X called "The House Negro"...
 
Thus why I am allowing some leeway. But that leeway does have limits.
I don't know man, man. On one hand, you have the President to deploy troops to New York, on the other, you had the Mayor talking about fighting til the end. If I close my eyes and just listen, and you don't tell em who what and when, I would think something is kicking up.
 
Well , taxpayers have been subsidizing tax cuts for the rich and mega corporations and endless useless wars abroad, so why not a little bit of help for the common people ?

The constitution talks about life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness and I think housing and health are a part of that.
Lol, was talking about building affordable housing in the states with a friend of mine, and he put out a good point, why not just use the illegal alien and have them work a certain hours (maybe 10 hours a weel) if they want to keep their refugee status, most of them are doing this kind of business anyway, instead of deporting them all, why not let them stay and use them as free labour

That way, all you need is just land and material.
 
Housing could be the most pivotal development of his mayoralty, (and the core pillar of the state and national Democrat platform for at least the foreseeable future), barring any major tragedy, God Forbid.

Zohran’s biggest accomplishment, in his first year in office could be line up all the projects and give a reason for voters in New York City and in the region (surrounding suburbs) to vote for democrats in 2026, and ultimately 2028, to get funding from Albany and Washington. If Zohran appears to get the ball rolling on housing throughout his 4 year term, he could easily win re-election in 2029, with a Democrat in the White House and Democrat control of congress backing him up.

There were also 6 ballot initiatives on the ballot, initiatives 2-4 (maybe 5) are the most consequential about building affordable housing. which voters had to either make the incoming mayor’s job easier or harder on addressing building new housing. Mamdani before the election didn’t say how he would vote on them and only revealed on the day of his position.

(Trying to find the clip of how Zohran said he voted on those initiatives)

26:30-


This is how those ballot initiatives went, summary they gave the mayor more power to get affordable housing built.

Ballot proposal 2 - result yes - This proposal would create two new processes to fast-track certain affordable housing projects. The first process is for publicly financed affordable housing projects. The second process is for affordable housing projects in the 12 community districts with the lowest rates of affordable housing development.

Ballot proposal 3 - result yes -
Simplify review of modest housing and infrastructure projects.

This proposal would create a faster review process for certain land use projects, like smaller projects to change how land is used and to prepare the city for extreme weather or other future challenges. For most of these projects, the proposed process would remove final review by the City Council.

Ballot proposal 4 - result yes -

Establish an Affordable Housing Appeals Board with City Council, borough, and citywide representation.

NYCVotes says this proposal would change the current land use review process when the City Council rejects or changes an affordable housing project. The proposal would create an Affordable Housing Appeals Board comprised of the local Borough President, Speaker of the City Council, and mayor.

The proposal would allow the Appeals Board to reverse the City Council’s decision with a two-to-one vote.

Ballot proposal 5 - result yes -
Create a digital city map to modernize city operations.

This proposal would make the Department of City Planning (DCP) responsible for creating, maintaining, and digitizing a single city map.

Not just electing Mamdani but voting for Ballot measures 2-4 are his mandate in the internal politics of New York City.

Wall Street is celebrating the passing of these ballot initiatives:

Red tape and how power is distributed in city politics are part of the reason the city can’t build enough housing:


Republicans are catching on to the bring back “cutting the red tape rhetoric”
1:45-


Mamdani would be smart to do visible cutting red tape events and putting it out on social media, the same way Trump did executive order press conferences; People like to see things getting done.

1762697396433.jpeg


For Mamdani, his greatest supporters are what I call the “Duppies” (as opposed to the yuppies). The Duppies are the Downwardly Mobile Urban Professionals. Basically the working class overeducated, but aspiring to be middle class, especially amongst the Millennials and Gen. Z. The republicans don’t speak to this demographic, with a plan to make their lives easier. Mamdani offers at least a possibility to have cheaper housing and public transportation, eventually, because for too many a house and a car are unaffordable.

With boomers starting to die out over the coming decades, the needs of this class will have to be addressed, more and more. Otherwise this will be the voting block, that will vote to cut benefits for seniors to support the needs of the working age population.
 
Last edited:
You chose to come to America seeking better opportunities, yet you hide behind bitterness while harshly judging those around you. Claiming moral high ground from the sidelines only exposes your inability to embrace the complexity of this country you settled in. If you can’t appreciate the environment you chose, your constant judgment just reveals deep resentment instead of integrity.
Blah blah blah is all I heard, I used to respect you but you start to sounds more like a old buddha baba who stuck in his own perception of being the judge and decider or right or wrong... so Allow me to Answer you stupid arguments and lipa poti of usual BS that Pakistani's like you who go to America and in 3 months become more Angreez than Angreez themselves.

1) I am only critical of US foreign policy because it effect other countries, I rarely criticize US internal politics and I have mentioned many times here J_Hungry will attest to it that I am not a USA citizen yet so I am not qualified to have a opinion but if/when USA bomb or starve or threaten global world order than yes as a citizen of this world I will call USA out.

2) I never claim high ground, this is what I heard from people like you, who move to USA and than start referring themselves to be Angreez ke zamaane ke Jailers. I have mentioned many times, I don't care which country I live in or which country I was born in, I follow and value principles, any country that does things against the Principles I will call them out, I call Pakistan out more than USA, A country i was born in and lived most of my life, unlike 2 rupee lunda ka Angreez.

3) I have respect for USA and I have mentioned many times, law and order, administration, local bodies, independent institutions etc, now I can't lick someone's boot or say yeah bombing Toddlers is fine, or threatening to bomb a whole region to protect chosen people, threaten ICC/ICJ and global order, or sending 2000lbs bombs to stole someone's land, regime changes operations, black sites, illegal drone attacks, supporting of Terrorists organizations, illegal invasions like Iraq, etc yeah none of that hold right to me, maybe for you but often times people like you are what we in Pakistan call " Bin paide ke lotte ". A good action of a country will not go away because of bad actions, just like that bad actions of a country will not go away because of good actions. You can't even write 1 post here of PDF without speak crap about a country where you were born, and probably where your parents make their fortune which you used to come here to USA and now claim to be Grandson of George Washington so please spare me that BS and moral high ground lecture.

4) Deep resentment towards who? USA govt ? US land ? US's people ? US a country ? Do I look like Israel to you? There is no resentment, if you ever step outside of your echo chamber you will see today millions of America who unlike you are born here, their parents born here criticize the conduct of their Govt, calling them out, on the same issues I listed above, you know why? because unlike people like you, I and them have something in common, Standing up to Principles/Values rather than trying to become Shah se zayda Shah ke wafadaar.

Last, I challenge you to post 5 negative things I posted about USA which are not related to US foreign policy, Please I will wait and don't run or use your puny Moderation powers to ban me, be a grown up adult and back up with evidence what you say...
 

Muslims need to be smart

We know the right and far right are enemies

As a result we have made a natural home on the left, but we must remember many of the Uber progressive crap on the left doesn't actually reflect us as Muslims

And you have people like this he-she, who are on the "progressive" side but are as much our enemies as anyone on the right

We just have to be smart
 
I don't know man, man. On one hand, you have the President to deploy troops to New York, on the other, you had the Mayor talking about fighting til the end. If I close my eyes and just listen, and you don't tell em who what and when, I would think something is kicking up.
In a Hypothetical scenario, if a President does ended up sending troops which mayor of a City appose or lets say a Governor oppose what happen next? Can Federal forces and state police can lock horns and who's orders they will follow?
 
Muslims need to be smart

We know the right and far right are enemies

As a result we have made a natural home on the left, but we must remember many of the Uber progressive crap on the left doesn't actually reflect us as Muslims

And you have people like this he-she, who are on the "progressive" side but are as much our enemies as anyone on the right

We just have to be smart

The right and far-right will ALWAYS be our enemy. Where us Pakistanis fail is that we rely too much on the left and not our own people. Pakistanis NEED to be more proactive in helping our own and promoting Pakistani racial pride. We should NEVER become reliant on foreigners or ANYONE of a different race to us. Relying on other races NEVER helps.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Posts

Back
Top