Artillery Divisions of Pakistan Army

Originally. As far as I know PA has expressed interest in it post Ukraine.
They’ve always been interested in it, just not actively.

Jane reported 236 SH-15.

Where does the 400 number comes from?
Janes is rarely accurate for Chinese acquisitions. The number comes from the person who made that post, he’s in a better position to judge than janes.

This is strange, considering their are multiple options for a towed 155mm gun around the world, I find it weird a customer would require Pakistan to develop such a system unless they wanted something to mass produce themselves.

Seems a perfect opportunity for Pakistan to develop a system using a customers money that could be used for ourselves
It is a very good opportunity, that’s why PA is staying interested. If you look at the customers requirements, it makes sense why they went with HIT.

If you look at what's happening in Ukraine, the world has underestimated the need for artillery and a shell supply and we need to learn the lessons of the Ukraine war quickly

Drones, air defence, artillery we need to be proactive

Even if a middle Eastern customer is funding a howitzer project we need to see this as a Pakistani project from which we can make a variety of artillery systems in house, im also slightly disappointed we didn't have at least some tot for the SH-15 system, so we could continue making them at a slower pace in house
Read above.

There is no reason HIT is not capable of producing an SH-15 locally. It can already make gun barrels for it, they already have made gun barrels for it, however they are not actively producing them. It’s a balancing act between funding, time and resources when you consider such huge military acquisitions. It could be that the other artillery system HIT is developing is giving the army a reason to not start producing SH-15 locally, among a host of other factors.

In towed category?
Only M198 and M114 (which is possibly only in reserve right now, someone else can confirm). PA doctrine isn’t really big on Tower howitzers, they will likely just keep a few hundred modern guns in service at a time, backed up by a thousand or so older models. Their focus is mainly on large number of SPs and MLRS systems. India on the other hand has a stronger emphases on towed artillery than SP systems.

Not for now, unless such details about the project are already publicly known, I’d rather not discuss them.
Of course. From your post I understood that it’s already public, so I asked you to share it here.

Last edited:
Only M198 and M114 (which is possibly only in reserve right now, someone else can confirm). PA doctrine isn’t really big on Tower howitzers, they will likely just keep a few hundred modern guns in service at a time, backed up by a thousand or so older models. Their focus is mainly on large number of SPs and MLRS systems. India on the other hand has a stronger emphases on towed artillery than SP systems.
M114 about to go out shortly.

images (3) (8).jpeg

M198 155 mm towed howitzer.
Country of origin -USA.

.pending-1673155446-images (1).jpeg

M114 , 155 MM TOWED HOWITZER .
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN : USA

6RsfS.jpg

Type 59, towed field gun .
130 mm, copy of Russian M46 field gun .
Country of origin : People's republic of China.

images (3) (9).jpeg

Type 54. Copy of Russian m 30 122 mm towed gun
Country of origin : people's republic of China.

images (3) (9).jpeg

images (3) (13).jpeg

Both are M114 , 155 mm howitzer
USA made .

Users who are viewing this thread

Pakistan Defence Latest

Back