Bangladesh Air Force

It wasn't literally in the article. I read the text in the article very carefully. It's vague wording.

No it was clear and no room for ambiguity.

Some here are under a delusion that any BD government will be anything but friendly to India.

Last edited:
Sad to see we’re back where we were in 2008.
Idk how much the upgrades from Belarus meant really, our first gen migs were obsolete when we received them and their maintenance is so expensive we hardly fly them throughout the year. I really don’t wish for 8 more migs.

Truthfully jf17 seems to be the best choice for Bangladesh for effective deterrence. Beggars can’t be choosers.
JF 17 Blk3s would be a big upgrade in the current inventory of BAF, options of integrating SOW bombs, ALCMs, BVR and HOBs. But I don't think BAF would choose it, they'll probably be looking for a bigger Jet.

It was literally in that article about that purchase.

BD interim government is going out of its way to reassure India that it will not take a hostile stance towards it.
Nope.
Yunus admin aren't going out of their way to please anyone.
And the BD you knew is dead with Abu Saeed. So stop spreading fake narrative like indians...

He is citing Weibo. In that case we have to examine the original Weibo accounts that are reporting this (if there is any).

Anyway seems implausible in current situation.

Highly unlikely. US is the big winner here. Gonna be interesting.

Important thing now is to purge Indian stench in BD.

JF-17 would be a whole new platform and BAF would need to set up the infrastructure for it.

The other question is that due to it being jointly developed by Pakistan, that would introduce the Pakistan-India rivalry into it.

Notice that Yunus was very careful to notify India before purchasing another consignment of ammunition from Pakistan. This is just a continuation of what was done under Hasina.

16 new JF-17s with a whole new training and maintenance infrastructure would be a lot more expensive than building up to upgraded 16 Mig-29s with latest missiles and weapons. BAF can buy refurbished Mig-29s for 15-20 million US dollars a piece and all the training and maintenance infrastructure already exists. BAF probably already has spare pilots that are well trained to fly any extra Mig-29s that are brought.

We would be talking about around 2 billion dollars just for a squadron of 16 JF-17s. That is for block 2 aircraft as Block 3 would be more expensive still but Block 3 would be a quantum leap over current BD Mig-29s.

Do you really want to go to the expense and work of setting up a whole new maintenance and training infrastructure for an aircraft like this which is a stop-gap anyway and probably unaffordable for BD?

I doubt whether BD will buy any aircraft(even 2nd hand) in next 2-3 years anyway as you need an actual government to make these kinds of deals and we need some kind of stability before anyone is willing to make these kinds of deals with BD.
Really there was no announcement from Yunus admin to india. He only met Indian high Comissioner once and order was placed about two days after Hasina left so it’s more like Gen. Waqar seeking to strengthen his position.

Most of the important maintenance is actually done in Belarus ukraine or Russia for bd migs. Really I would say it’s better to bite the bullet in new infrastructure for a cost effective latest gen product than an obsolete technological solution. I would have agreed with you on the migs 5-10 years ago.
If 2 billion gets you 16 jf17 that really is still a stopgap for next 5 years which is necessary at this point and not to mention block 3 could be acquired in the future and the line could continue. Also jf17 has some cross compatibility with j10 so it’s not like all the investments is for nothing.

But yes you’re absolutely right, no fighters in this decade that’s for sure.
Unless China comes to sweeten some deals to counter india. Our airforce been sustaining itself on freebies since its inception. (Indian junk, Russian mig 21, Pakistani f6s and a5 III etc)

The longer BD waits, the more behind it gets.

Why not just buy 32 Block 3 JF-17?

Natural progression from the F-7.

Numbers.

Improvement in capability and better than Block 2 from Myanmar.

I can't imagine it will be that expensive.

And it will allow BAF to maintain skills and capability while entertaining another type in the future for the high end.

Get a Chinese engine if better than RD-93 and some Turkish avionics/munitions.

Who says no?

1725303525510.png

Something like this.

Last edited:

Numbers.

And it will allow BAF to maintain skills and capability while entertaining another type in the future for the high end.

Who says no?

View attachment 62614

Something like this.

1. BD literally has no money and even just 16 with all the infrastructure, training and maintenance would come in at 3 billion US dollars. 32 would likely come in cheaper per plane as you would have set the infrastructure, maintenance and training up with the first 16 but that could easily get to 5 billion US dollars still. JF-17 Block 3 is cheaper than say Eurofighter and Rafale but it is not dirt cheap as some think as it has some quite complex systems like AESA radar.

2. This would require BD and Pakistan to mend their relationship. A multi-year process if a start is made now.

3. BD has no government and no-one would deal with an "interim" government.

Face the fact that no brand new fighter aircraft are going to be coming to BAF before 2030 now, unless there is some miracle.

Last edited:
1. BD literally has no money and even just 16 with all the infrastructure, training and maintenance would come in at 3 billion US dollars. 32 would likely come in cheaper per plane as you would have set the infrastructure, maintenance and training up with the first 16 but that could easily get to 5 billion US dollars still. JF-17 Block 3 is cheaper than say Eurofighter and Rafale but it is not dirt cheap as some think as it has some quite complex systems like AESA radar.

2. This would require BD and Pakistan to mend their relationship. A multi-year process if a start is made now.

Face the fact that no brand new fighter aircraft are going to be coming to BAF before 2030 now, unless there is some miracle.
Agree with 2,3 and the ending
But

1 squadron can easily be accommodated in hangars built during Hasina era, maintenance crew can be trained from China, I believe since our MRO plant is certified from chengdu aviation plant, it wouldn’t be difficult to gain certification for them with some training. Same with pilots they’ll probably need a 50 hour conversion training especially for f7 pilots it will be easier. It’s not like they’ll have to learn how to fly from scratch. Plus f7 weapons package should be compatible already. I think we are overthinking this. Ok if not jf17 because it’s lightweight, enemy has it etc reasons… aligning with China could easily bring j10 deal on the table and I think China doesn’t mind who’s on power as long as they get benefits. They gave pro India government billions for decades after all. Only stopped because of teesta project backstab in reality

BD has no government and no-one would deal with an "interim" government.
Really? What makes you think Yunus admin lacks legitimacy? Yunus admin is negotiating with USA for GSP facility and till now USAs response is positive...

Where there is a will there is a way.

What BD was lacking in the past was will.

Perhaps things will be different now.

Numbers.

Who says no?

View attachment 62614

Something like this.
No JF17

Yes J10C

Its a cost issue.

I think JF-17 would be cheaper to obtain and operate.

BD needs numbers.

2 squadrons at least to replace the F-7.

Then maybe if more money frees up, it can look for a high end option to replace the Fulcrums.

The cost of J10 should not be significantly higher.

You need to protect your investment for the long term. We are probably going to get loans for jets anyway, better get the more capable one.

The cost of J10 should not be significantly higher.

You need to protect your investment for the long term. We are probably going to get loans for jets anyway, better get the more capable one.

I also don't think its clear how the BD government will shape up in terms of relations with the US vis a vis China given STRONG M Yunus ties with the West.

JF-17 is a lower end platform. It may be more accessible. I do not see J-10C in the cards.

I actually think if BD chooses a Western orientation, we may see US platforms in time.

Too early to tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Pakistan Defence Latest

Back