Bangladesh Air Force

Does Bangladesh have jf-17?
Edit: mig-29 and j-7 . Bangladesh economy is the size that of Vietnam. Maybe allocate a few billion dollars for jf-17 or j-10c purchases.

Does Bangladesh have jf-17?
Edit: mig-29 and j-7 . Bangladesh economy is the size that of Vietnam. Maybe allocate a few billion dollars for jf-17 or j-10c purchases.
Vietnam has ~100 Billions in forex reserve. Bangladesh only has ~20 Billions in forex reserve. Currently spending on defense is a luxury for Bangladesh.

MRCA and 6 next generation frigates are out of question for next 2-3 years due to poor economy and so the focus should be on other systems that meet pressing needs while being affordable.

BD will have to ditch getting rapidly obsolette 4+ gen fighters and should set it's sights on Chinese J-31 and Turkey's next generation fighter for procurement in the 2030s, when they are avaiable and also as BD economy hopefully is rich enough to afford them.

So as suggested for a while both by others and myself, the most effective procurements right now and within BD's limited resources is both more TRG-300 Tiger MLRS and also an effective MRSAM system.

I don't think that SAMP-T is affordable in the numbers required as it will come to some 1 billion US dollars per piece. This is the price that BD will have to pay in order to account for profit for French/Italian manufacturer.

To make a difference then BD will have to purchase at least 3-4 units in order to protect vital civilian populations, military and economic targets as well. 3-4 billion US dollars is not what BD can afford anytime soon.

So it would be better for BD to go for a MRSAM network and the best would be something from Turkey like Hisar o which is just about medium range at 40km. It can in time order even more longer range Turkish SAM systems as they are available and BD's budget allows.

This procurement could come to some 1 billion US dollars now and BD will be able to find the money and concentrate on defending against Myanmar.

It needs to forget about "defending" from India for the time being in terms of air-defence as that is well outside its limited budgetary capabilities.
Was the last budget reduced? If I’m not wrong military budget grew to 6 billions right? Should really go through prioritization and focus on next budget allocation.

Was the last budget reduced? If I’m not wrong military budget grew to 6 billions right? Should really go through prioritization and focus on next budget allocation.

Yes it has been reduced over the last few years due to fiscal squeeze.

I am afraid the military will probably take a real back seat in terms of spending priorities for next few years at least. BD does not have a functioning government system and the economy is in a fragile state. This will take some time to fix.

Best to spend the least amount of money to at least be a credible deterrent to Myanmar.

Maybe try to get R-77s for the upgraded 8 mig-29s and then try and get another 8 cheap second hand Mig-29s, refurbish them and form a full squadron.

Another thing that would be useful would be a couple of AWACs from China as they are the most cost effective and within BD's limited budget.

MAF is not that good and BD can probably match them by spending some hundreds of millions of US dollars if it does it strategically by adding to what it already knows and has the infrastructure for where possible.

Last edited:

I am afraid the military will probably take a real back seat in terms of spending priorities for next few years at least. BD does not have a functioning goverment system and the economy is in a fragile state. This will take some time to fix.

Best to spend the least amount of money to at least be a credible deterrent to Myanmar.

Maybe try to get R-77s for the upgraded 8 mig-29s and then try and get another 8 cheap second hand Mig-29s, refurbish them and form a full squadron.

Another thing that would be useful would be a couple of AWACs from China as they are the most cost effective and within BD's limited budget.

MAF is not that good and BD can probably match them by spending some hundreds of millions of US dollars if it does it strategically by adding to what it already knows and has the infrastructure for where possible.
Maybe a couple wing loong uavs . A cool video on Norinco export kits.

Perhaps due to operational needs? Especially with the recent floods.
Yes most likely, as BAF officials are still attending as observers. But YouTubers got a lot of materials for gossip for sure!

I am afraid the military will probably take a real back seat in terms of spending priorities for next few years at least. BD does not have a functioning government system and the economy is in a fragile state. This will take some time to fix.

Sad to see we’re back where we were in 2008.
Idk how much the upgrades from Belarus meant really, our first gen migs were obsolete when we received them and their maintenance is so expensive we hardly fly them throughout the year. I really don’t wish for 8 more migs.

Truthfully jf17 seems to be the best choice for Bangladesh for effective deterrence. Beggars can’t be choosers.

Sad to see we’re back where we were in 2008.
Idk how much the upgrades from Belarus meant really, our first gen migs were obsolete when we received them and their maintenance is so expensive we hardly fly them throughout the year. I really don’t wish for 8 more migs.

Truthfully jf17 seems to be the best choice for Bangladesh for effective deterrence. Beggars can’t be choosers.

JF-17 would be a whole new platform and BAF would need to set up the infrastructure for it.

The other question is that due to it being jointly developed by Pakistan, that would introduce the Pakistan-India rivalry into it.

Notice that Yunus was very careful to notify India before purchasing another consignment of ammunition from Pakistan. This is just a continuation of what was done under Hasina.

16 new JF-17s with a whole new training and maintenance infrastructure would be a lot more expensive than building up to upgraded 16 Mig-29s with latest missiles and weapons. BAF can buy refurbished Mig-29s for 15-20 million US dollars a piece and all the training and maintenance infrastructure already exists. BAF probably already has spare pilots that are well trained to fly any extra Mig-29s that are brought.

We would be talking about around 2 billion dollars just for a squadron of 16 JF-17s. That is for block 2 aircraft as Block 3 would be more expensive still but Block 3 would be a quantum leap over current BD Mig-29s.

Do you really want to go to the expense and work of setting up a whole new maintenance and training infrastructure for an aircraft like this which is a stop-gap anyway and probably unaffordable for BD?

I doubt whether BD will buy any aircraft(even 2nd hand) in next 2-3 years anyway as you need an actual government to make these kinds of deals and we need some kind of stability before anyone is willing to make these kinds of deals with BD.

Share some proof of your claim please...

It was literally in that article about that purchase.

BD interim government is going out of its way to reassure India that it will not take a hostile stance towards it.

It was literally in that article about that purchase.

It wasn't literally in the article. I read the text in the article very carefully. It's vague wording.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back