Border Gaurd Bangladesh - The Rifles

This is not the correct sequence.

• An earlier formation was re-named the Ramgarh Local Battalion in 1795; it was not a new raising.
  • This was re-named again in 1861 (that was the year in which the Indian Police Act first organised police forces throughout the Crown Colony of India, set up after the Indian Mutiny of 1857), and in 1891, this second time being called the Bengal Military Police.
  • It was the Bengal Military Police that guarded the frontier from 1891 to 1920, not the Eastern Frontier Rifles.
  • In 1920, the Bengal Military Police was re-named the Eastern Frontier Rifles, and continued until 1947. It has been mistakenly stated that the EFR was disbanded in 1920. Your own time-line disproves that:

Second World War - Burma Campaign (1943-44) - as Eastern Frontier Rifles

• The EFR was NOT disbanded in 1947; it was divided between West Bengal and East Pakistan.
  • East Pakistan re-named its portion of the EFR the East Pakistan Rifles; the EPR was NOT a new raising.
  • West Bengal retained the formation's name as the Eastern Frontier Rifles, and it continued as a single battalion force recruited mainly from Indian Gorkhas from the Darjeeling area, that is, Limbus and Rais.
  • My father took charge on his transfer from North Bengal in 1961. In 1962, he raised the 2nd battalion.
Thanks, Joe dada. I am aware of the skewed timeline of the op post. This was just part of transferring information from the old forum.

Border Guard Bangladesh (I abosolutely despise this name) has a great legacy. AFAIK the Eastern Frontier Rifles is still active under the same title in West Bengal as a paramilitary police. If you can share some information and pictures, that would be great.

Also I had a question, which Ramgarh was the birth city? As per my knowledge, it was Ramgarh, Bihar where the Corps was founded.

Last edited:
AFAIK the Eastern Frontier Rifles is still active under the same title in West Bengal as a paramilitary police. If you can share some information and pictures, that would be great.
As I mentioned, they are now 3 battalions strong (my father having raised the 2nd battalion in 1962, the third was raised in 1984). They had gone into action in 1965 beside three battalions of armed policemen - LMGs only, apart from 0.303 rifles - against 7 battalions of EPR led by Brigadier Torgul (the EPR had the thankless task of defending both sides, West Bengal as well the Tripura side). Currently, they are posted outside Kharagpur, in the village of Salua, where they have their permanent establishment.

Some pictures and a playful, informal video of their pipe band:

EFR on parade 2.jpeg
EFR Headquarters celebrating 116th Raising Day.jpeg

The EFR Pipe Band hamming it up!

The EFR Brass Band rehearsing the quick march Belphegor. If you compare it to British bands, our boys aren't too bad at all.

Last edited:
Also I had a question, which Ramgarh was the birth city? As per my knowledge, it was Ramgarh, Bihar where the Corps was founded.
It was indeed Ramgarh in Bihar.

Border Gurad Bangladesh (BGB) has deployed Ukrainian made ATGM RK-3 Corsar on Myanmar border to cope with any deteriorating situation.

Five Indian smugglers held in Chapainawabganj

Members of Border Guard Bangladesh(BGB) arrested five alleged Indian smugglers from the river Padma at Shibganj frontier here on Saturday morning.

The arrested were Md. Sarfaraj Islam, 18, son of late Rafiqul Islam, Md.Aslam Sheikh, 18, son of Alek Sheikh, Deep Singha, 23, son of Ratan Singha, Rony Mohaldar, 17, son of Baitul Mohaldar and Olil Mohaldar, 18, son of Menaul. All are hailed from Murshidabad district in India.

After checking, the BGB team also seized three cows and two sharp weapons from their possession, Commanding Officer of BGB 53 battalion Lieutenant Colonel Monir Uz Zaman confirmed today.

Finally, after decades of being useless, BGB is slowly back to being effective in the border.

Also, a lesson for BSF - you can always arrest smugglers instead of shooting and killing a child or two.

Five Indian smugglers held in Chapainawabganj

Members of Border Guard Bangladesh(BGB) arrested five alleged Indian smugglers from the river Padma at Shibganj frontier here on Saturday morning.

The arrested were Md. Sarfaraj Islam, 18, son of late Rafiqul Islam, Md.Aslam Sheikh, 18, son of Alek Sheikh, Deep Singha, 23, son of Ratan Singha, Rony Mohaldar, 17, son of Baitul Mohaldar and Olil Mohaldar, 18, son of Menaul. All are hailed from Murshidabad district in India.

After checking, the BGB team also seized three cows and two sharp weapons from their possession, Commanding Officer of BGB 53 battalion Lieutenant Colonel Monir Uz Zaman confirmed today.

Finally, after decades of being useless, BGB is slowly back to being effective in the border.

Also, a lesson for BSF - you can always arrest smugglers instead of shooting and killing a child or two.

The amount of Indians that think it is ok to shoot smugglers is insane and shows the way they have been brainwashed by hate and fear.

The amount of Indians that think it is ok to shoot smugglers is insane and shows the way they have been brainwashed by hate and fear.

You see the same in Zionists who have convinced themselves that it is okay to kill Palestinian kids. This is what dehumanization of a ethnic group leads to.

There are many cases of Bangladeshi kids and women being shot inside Bangladeshi territory. But Indians are completely fine with it in the name of national security.

You see the same in Zionists who have convinced themselves that it is okay to kill Palestinian kids. This is what dehumanization of a ethnic group leads to.

There are many cases of Bangladeshi kids and women being shot inside Bangladeshi territory. But Indians are completely fine with it in the name of national security.

Well I was not happy about the Hasina government pathetic atitude about this.

Hope the message has already be sent loud and clear that BD snipers will respond immediately if the criminal BSF try this now.

BD cannot stop them from shooting smugglers and civilians who may have accidentally crossed the border into India, but the BSF filth need to be told in no uncertain term that BD will kill any of them that shoots at someone in BD territory.

BGB should be now renamed as the BDR. And, they need to be trained in asymmetric warfare by using mini and micro armed drones of all sorts, EW/EA at the tactical levels, anti-drone systems, 105mm field guns etc...

BGB should be now renamed as the BDR. And, they need to be trained in asymmetric warfare by using mini and micro armed drones of all sorts, EW/EA at the tactical levels, anti-drone systems, 105mm field guns etc...

Agree. Time to strengthen BGB/BDR again like it used to be.

Home adviser tells BGB to prevent repeat of Felani incident at border

Home affairs adviser Lt Gen, retd, Md Jahangir Alam Chowdhury said on Saturday that he did not want to see killings of Bangladesh nationals like that of Felani again along the border with India.

‘I don’t want to see killings like Felani again. Don’t show your back at the border . . . carry out your responsibilities in a perfect manner,’ said Md Jahangir Alam Chowdhury as he addressed the members of Border Guard Bangladesh at the Border Conference Centre of BGB Pilkhana Headquarters in Dhaka.

He also asked the BGB personnel to perform their duties with utmost professionalism and stay away from all sorts of corruption.

‘Corruption will not be tolerated under any circumstances . . . The BGB members must perform duties according to the law,’ the home adviser told the senior BGB officials as he mentioned that the prime responsibility of the BGB was to ensure protection of the frontiers and prevent smuggling.

Issuing a warning of tough action against any sort of corrupt practices, the adviser said, ‘Strict disciplinary measures will be taken against those who will be involved in bribery and corruption. Not only that if necessary, they will be fired from the service.’

The BGB director general Major General Mohammad Ashrafuzzaman Siddiqui along with senior officials of the BGB Headquarters and region commanders of the force, Sector Commanders, Battalion Commanders and other officials took part in the event through video teleconference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Country Watch Latest

Back