Chengdu J-20 5th Generation Aircraft News & Discussions

More it has more thrust than F119
Give china some more time a new and powerful will come online. Just like people doubted china j-20 now it's giving the United states some sleepless nights. Remember what's scary about china is not just the advancement in technology but implementation like mass production.

J20's is bigger than F-22 hence needed more thrust than F119 to reach a T/W ratio of above 1
Engine is not the only part of the plane, radar, missile system, and so on. Even awacs might play a part in the conflict that's why china is building lots of kj-500 variants lol j-20 has a very long range it can travel out in the second island chain without the need of refueling same for j-16d which is why china is prioritizing them over j-10c

Engine is not the only part of the plane, radar, missile system, and so on. Even awacs might play a part in the conflict that's why china is building lots of kj-500 variants lol
I'm talking about engine, without thrust and weight ratio above 1 J20 can't able to supercruise, can't maneuvers much with underrated engine

You're talking about systems and environment of battlefield I'm talking about only J20

I'm talking about engine, without thrust and weight ratio above 1 J20 can't able to supercruise, can't maneuvers much with underrated engine

You're talking about systems and environment of battlefield I'm talking about only J20
How do u know that it can't achieve super cruise? From the sources j-20 can achieve that like i said I don't know much about the engine. Just because u think otherwise doesn't mean it's true. And f-35 is not a super cruise aircraft so what are u trying to say 😂. U think battles are won by having super cruise ability? Haha

Last edited:
How do u know that it can't achieve super cruise? From the sources j-20 can achieve that like i said I don't know much about the engine. Just because u think otherwise doesn't mean it's true.
With current WS-10 engine it can't achieve supercruise because dry thrust is too low for J20 to supercruise but with the WS-15 dry thrust enough for J20 to supercruise for hours

No the improved version like ws-10c (141kn 32000 lbf) and ws-10g (152-155kn 34000-35000 lbf) have almost the same thrust as ws-15 so your point is false. Got my source from wiki btw lol

You're just a kid who don't think logically

And jet engine development is one of the most difficult fields in the world you're just a beginner, you were started your first turbofan project in late 80s west developing T/W 10 engines since early 70

Sorry dude your mental disability has no cure
England, France, Germany, Russia, and Japan DO NOT HAVE ENGINE WITH T/W RATIO OF 10.
Only China and the US have. China has manufactured modern GT eg WS10,WS13E, WS18,WS20, WS10A,B,C. WS15. CJ1000 close to finish their testing

With current WS-10 engine it can't achieve supercruise because dry thrust is too low for J20 to supercruise but with the WS-15 dry thrust enough for J20 to supercruise for hours
The Pilot of J10 confirmed they can reach Supercruise read the article I posted before Don't comment if you haven't read the article before
J-20 stealth fighter jet can easily reach supercruise, PLA confirms
By
Liu Xuanzun
Published: May 27, 2024 10:04 PM

Two J-20 stealth fighter jets attached to an aviation brigade of the PLA Air Force take off for a flight training exercise in early February of 2024. (eng.chinamil.com.cn/Photo by Liu Weipeng)

Two J-20 stealth fighter jets attached to an aviation brigade of the PLA Air Force take off for a flight training exercise in early February of 2024. (eng.chinamil.com.cn/Photo by Liu Weipeng)

The Chinese military has confirmed that its J-20 stealth fighter jet can easily reach supercruise, which experts said on Monday can bring significant tactical advantages and reflect the power of China's domestically developed engines.

The J-20, a "Cross-Straits Lethality" weapon, is characterized by a high stealth capability that allows it to effortlessly penetrate a hostile air defense system, a high mobility that allows it to easily reach supercruise, and a high situational awareness that allows it to quickly identify targets and perform precision strikes, the PLA Eastern Theater Command said in a social media post on Sunday evening.

Here Reuben Johnson take of WS 10 engine He is long time observer of Chinese Engine for 3 Decades He live in Russia and strong connection with the Russian

A Chinese military think-tank researcher described the significance of this WS-15 test flight to the English-language Hong Kong South China Morning Post, saying “after 12 years since the J-20’s maiden flight in 2011, the Chinese air force finally got the engine it had long been waiting for.”

The series of Chinese-built engines that have powered different production batches of the J-20 have incrementally increased the performance of the aircraft. Thrust-to-weight ratio of the original WS-10 engine model was 7.5, the improved thrust variant, the WS-10B is rated at close to 9.0, with the WS-10C performing at 9.5 or better — enough for the J-20 to be capable of supercruise.

The thrust-to-weight ratio of the WS-15 Emei engine is supposedly greater than 10, which puts it near the performance of the F-22A’s F119 engine. But a former PLA instructor, Song Zhongping, who also spoke to the SCMP, stated the WS-15 did not yet have the endurance of American engine designs.

I already told him about ws-15 but it's currently not in mass production just yet. Theres also the development of ws-19 for j-35 naval variant.

Got this from someone. Take it with a grain of salt lol

Here's a little summary I made some time ago:

DO NOT TAKE THE FIGURES I LISTED AS FACTUAL. THEY'RE MERELY FOR REFERENCE, AND NOT OFFICIALLY CONFIRMED.

WS-9: Based on the Rolls Royce Spey. Used by JH-7/7A.

WS-10 series: Low bypass, high-thrust class, equipped on J-10C, J-11B and later models, J-16, interim engine for J-20 (WS-10C), and soon to be equipped on J-15B. Basically equivalent to the F110. Developed from the CFM-56 core, with AL-31 characteristics. Dramatic improvement in TBO time, thrust, reliability, etc. as development went on. There's also a 3D TVC testbed equipped on a J-10. WS-10B *allegedly* have a wet thrust of ~130-145 kN. WS-10c (141kn 32000 lbf). WS-10g (152-155kn 34000-35000 lbf)

WS-13: Low bypass, medium-thrust class, developed from RD-93. Equipped allegedly on the JF-17, and FC-31/J-35 prototypes. Developed into the WS-13E/21.

WS-15: Low bypass, high-thrust class, potentially the most advanced high-thrust engine to be fitted in a twin-engine fighter yet. Indigenous design, basically the equivalent to the F119. To be fitted in J-20A and potentially the J-20S. *Allegedly* have a wet thrust of ~181 kN.

WS-17: Low bypass, low-thrust class, and (I believe) non-afterburning. Equipped in trainer jets like the JL-10.

WS-18: Medium bypass, developed from the Soviet D-30. Equipped as an interim option on Y/YY-20.

WS-19: Low bypass, medium-thrust class. Indigenous design, equivalent to the EJ-2x0/F414-EPE. Currently undergoing tests and to be equipped on the J-35/31. ‘Confirmed’ thrust of around 10 tonnes-force (~98 kN), but I've heard figures of a maximum wet thrust of ~112.8 kN (UNCONFIRMED).

WS-20: High bypass, based on the WS-10 core. There's also rumours saying it's based on the CFM-56-5B/7B. To be equipped on Y/YY-20.

WS-21: Also known as WS-13E, developed from the base WS-13. Improved life cycle , MBTO and thrust. Interim engine option for the J-35/31. 9 tonnes-force (88 kN) for wet thrust. Wikipedia states 100 kN though for whatever reason.

WS-6/8/12 are cancelled projects.

I already told him about ws-15 but it's currently not in mass production just yet. Theres also the development of ws-19 for j-35 naval variant.
It will be soon or maybe LRIP by now This is the official statement from AECC official last year the maker of WS 20
An official of China's Aero Engine Corporation of China (AECC) has said that the country's Shenyang WS-15 engine for fighter aircraft is ready for mass production.

Speaking during the Seventh China Aviation Innovation and Entrepreneurship Competition (CAIEC) in March, Zhang Yong, a project director of AECC's Beijing Institute of Aeronautical Materials, said that from “a technical point of view” the institute has “tackled all bottlenecks” associated with the production of the WS-15 engine.

“The mass production of WS-10 and WS-15 [engines] delivery has been achieved. Materials screening and verifications have been finalised,” Zhang said.

The CAIEC was held from 16 to 17 March, according to China Central Television (CCTV), the Chinese state-owned broadcaster.

Zhang said that the streamlining of the supply chain has allowed AECC to manufacture several high-temperature components for the WS-15. These include superalloy disc parts, ring parts, fasteners, and other components.

The engine's potential mass production will allow China to improve the flight capabilities of several advanced fighter aircraft. In March 2022, CCTV said that the engine is being developed for “fifth-generation heavy and medium fighter jets”. One very likely beneficiary is China's fifth-generation Chengdu Aerospace Corporation (CAC) J-20 stealth fighter.

The early production units of the J-20 are powered by the Russian-origin Saturn AL-31FN two-shaft augmented turbofan engine. Information from China in 2022 suggests that this powerplant was supplanted by the interim Shenyang WS-10 Taihang two-shaft turbofan engine.

Last edited:
The Pilot of J10 confirmed they can reach Supercruise read the article I posted before Don't comment if you haven't read the article before
J-20 stealth fighter jet can easily reach supercruise, PLA confirms
By
Liu Xuanzun
Published: May 27, 2024 10:04 PM

The Chinese military has confirmed that its J-20 stealth fighter jet can easily reach supercruise, which experts said on Monday can bring significant tactical advantages and reflect the power of China's domestically developed engines.

The J-20, a "Cross-Straits Lethality" weapon, is characterized by a high stealth capability that allows it to effortlessly penetrate a hostile air defense system, a high mobility that allows it to easily reach supercruise, and a high situational awareness that allows it to quickly identify targets and perform precision strikes, the PLA Eastern Theater Command said in a social media post on Sunday evening.
But how long it's capable of supercruise and if WS-10 is sufficient for J20 then why you're developing WS-15 for J20?

But how long it's capable of supercruise and if WS-10 is sufficient for J20 then why you're developing WS-15 for J20?
Because ws-15 is better? Like why do u keep asking these things lol engine is fully sufficient for j-20 needs. First off u always go for higher thrust for engine which is what China is doing and there's nothing wrong with that especially a flanker size aircraft like j-20. Like j-20 is huge. Bottom is f-35 btw.f-35 looks like a j-10c in size .
1725062191079.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back