Chengdu J-20 5th Generation Aircraft News & Discussions

Any estimates on how many J-20s with WS-15s have been produced/in service yet?
Nobody knows. Those who know dare not say. If he says it, he'll go to jail......

Nobody knows. Those who know dare not say. If he says it, he'll go to jail......

ok let me ask it in another way. lol

What was the J-20 production rate before with the WS-10 engine?

Assuming all new production going forward is WS-15, starting from the first WS-15 J-20 that was in service, and assuming similar rates of production, it should give us a rough estimate right?

ok let me ask it in another way. lol

What was the J-20 production rate before with the WS-10 engine?

Assuming all new production going forward is WS-15, starting from the first WS-15 J-20 that was in service, and assuming similar rates of production, it should give us a rough estimate right?
200~350
Current production capacity: 100~120/year
CAC is showing signs of expanding its production base, but it is uncertain whether the new plant will be used for J20 production.

Last edited:
Interesting, I guess Thomas doesn't know that the present J20 in production can also do supercruises. I don't know where he got the data but he said the present engine WS10C is already on par with F119. And I was called propaganda

As for the WS-15, this is understood to stem from development begun in the 1990s, but few hard facts are known about it. So far, no photos or videos showing the engine, or even a full-scale mockup have appeared in public. However, it has been reported in the past that prototypes of the engine were capable of producing at least 36,000 pounds of thrust with afterburner, with the ultimate aim of achieving a thrust rating of 40,000 pounds.

This compares favorably with the most powerful versions of the WS-10, which are reportedly in the 32,000 to 35,000-pound maximum thrust class, with afterburning.

The F-22 is powered by two Pratt & Whitney F119s that each produce around 35,000 pounds at full afterburner.

The F-22 is renowned for its speed, including its ability to ‘supercruise’ — meaning it can fly at supersonic speeds for sustained periods without the use of afterburners, and with a full load of internal weapons, as you can read more about here.

As for the WS-15, this is understood to stem from development begun in the 1990s, but few hard facts are known about it. So far, no photos or videos showing the engine, or even a full-scale mockup have appeared in public. However, it has been reported in the past that prototypes of the engine were capable of producing at least 36,000 pounds of thrust with afterburner, with the ultimate aim of achieving a thrust rating of 40,000 pounds.
This compares favorably with the most powerful versions of the WS-10, which are reportedly in the 32,000 to 35,000-pound maximum thrust class, with afterburning.
The F-22 is powered by two Pratt & Whitney F119s that each produce around 35,000 pounds at full afterburner.
The F-22 is renowned for its speed, including its ability to ‘supercruise’ — meaning it can fly at supersonic speeds for sustained periods without the use of afterburners, and with a full load of internal weapons, as you can read more about here.
@Deino
Is the author of this article one of the members on the PDF?

CAC has its own exclusive airport. The work inside this airport is confidential and it is not open to the public. However, the location and name of this airport is public information. Outside the airport there are many ‘mystery men’ with camera equipment staying in B&Bs and hotels. Some of them are Chinese and foreign military fans, and many others are special people with special purposes.
Therefore, the name of the airport can be made public.

@Deino
Is the author of this article one of the members on the PDF?

CAC has its own exclusive airport. The work inside this airport is confidential and it is not open to the public. However, the location and name of this airport is public information. Outside the airport there are many ‘mystery men’ with camera equipment staying in B&Bs and hotels. Some of them are Chinese and foreign military fans, and many others are special people with special purposes.
Therefore, the name of the airport can be made public.

No, but on Twitter and other social media forums. In fact I know Thomas since years and we are constantly discussing several topics; sometimes in agreement, sometimes we have slightly different opinions but always in friendship and mutual respect.

For the base, you most likely refer to what "we" know as Chengdu/Huangtianba; aka the home-facility of CAC (POS 30°42'12"N 103°56'58"E)?

1726043541556.png

For the base, you most likely refer to what "we" know as Chengdu/Huangtianba; aka the home-facility of CAC (POS 30°42'12"N 103°56'58"E)?
Yes.
I found his use of vague terms like ‘an undisclosed location’ and ‘may well be’ in this article ............
I don't understand. Does he not know the name of this airport? Or is he using this grammar on purpose?

In China, this airport goes by many names.
Military Fans: CAC Airport / Huangtianba (No "Airport")
Locals: Wenjiang Airport

Yes.
I found his use of vague terms like ‘an undisclosed location’ and ‘may well be’ in this article ............
I don't understand. Does he not know the name of this airport? Or is he using this grammar on purpose?

In China, this airport goes by many names.
Military Fans: CAC Airport / Huangtianba (No "Airport")
Locals: Wenjiang Airport

I think he used this term since we both were not 100% sure in our discussion if it was indeed Huangtianba.

@Afif
Official TV has just released a trailer, which will officially air tonight. There is footage of J20 in the trailer.
Usually, official trailers are not released in advance. If a trailer is released in advance, it means that some news will be released in the official film. But these messages are usually hidden in the footage and need to be looked for very carefully. It will take some time to analyse. We are still not sure what news the official wants to release. If there is any news about J20, I will release it as soon as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back