Reading Time: 2 minutes

Jiri Opletal

April 28, 2024

Elon Musk in Beijing as reported by state-owned CCTV. Credit: CCTV

News like this to your inbox or phone?​

Weekly summary to your inbox
I want this

Never miss and important news
Get Instant notification once the news is published.
Follow Us

Tesla CEO Elon Musk surprisingly arrived in China on April 28, seeking approval for Tesla’s Full Self Driving (FSD) in the domestic market and possibly visiting the Beijing Auto Show.

Reports indicate that he will meet with senior officials to discuss the rollout of FSD software and the authorization to transfer data overseas. Despite the software’s launch four years ago, Tesla has not yet made it available in China, its second-largest market. This delay has prompted customers to call for its release as competition in ADAS and autonomous driving SW is intensifying in China.
Earlier today, the China Consumers Association (CCA) reported that Tesla, along with 76 models from six car companies, met all four data security requirements for automotive data processing, indicating that Tesla localization storage is complete.

In April, Musk teased on social media platform X that FSD may be available to Chinese customers very soon.
According to the Chinese media, Tesla CEO Elon Musk wants to discuss with government officials the approval to transfer data gathered in China to overseas locations for the purpose of training algorithms for Tesla’s autonomous driving technologies.
As Chinese law requires, all information collected by the Tesla fleet is stored locally in domestic data centers without being sent to an overseas HQ in the US.

If Tesla’s FSD is launched in China, it will face competition from local EV startups. Guangzhou-based Xpeng recently expanded its XNGP (Xpeng Navigation Guided Pilot) nationwide to all roads in China. It plans to make it available globally in 2025, as testing on European roads has already started.
In March, Nio made its NOP+ (Navigate on Pilot Plus) available throughout China, recruiting the first 100 testers. NOP was previously only usable on highways. Nio plans to bring its assisted driving software overseas.
Geely and Baidu (China’s Google) unveiled a new brand, Jiyue, last year, focusing on reaching L4 autonomous driving with their models, which include the Jiyue 01 SUV and the recently unveiled Jiuye 07 sedan. And Huawei is not behind with its Aito and Avatr brands, which offer various levels of advanced and autonomous driving systems called Huawei ADS.
Officially, Musk was invited by the organizer of the Beijing Auto Show, recently renamed Auto China, the China Council for the Promotion of International Trade reported. “I am very happy to see the progress of electric vehicles in China. All cars in the future will be electric,” Musk said on camera. Tesla is among the few automakers that didn’t have a presence at the show. However, it is rumored Musk will visit the venue on Monday.

Musk wouldn’t be the only US automaker CEO who appears at 2024 Auto China. Mary Barra, GM CEO, made a low-profile visit to the show on Friday, being seen around the Chevrolet and Nio booths.

Chery’s Exeed E08 flagship MPV may launch in H2 2024, available in EV and EREV​

Reading Time: 3 minutes

Dong Yi Chen

April 28, 2024

I want this

Follow Us

At the 2024 Beijing Auto Show, the Exeed E08 concept car made its official debut. The price is expected to be around 400,000 – 500,000 yuan (55,200 – 69,000 USD) and may launch in the second half of this year in EV and EREV models.

Positioned as a flagship MPV, the Exeed E08 adopts a futuristic design, built based on the brand’s E0X platform, with a length of over 5.2 meters. Exeed claims that the front face is inspired by the “Cyber Butterfly” design language of the Sterra series. It may be that the Exeed E08 will belong to the Sterra series. Part of the design inspiration also came from Western-style chandeliers.
Coming to the side, the car body embraces the One Box integrated design concept with smooth body lines, similar to high-speed rail trains, and of course, Li Auto’s MEGA.

The car runs on petal-like style rims and uses digital external mirrors.
Additionally, the sliding door can be opened up to the third row, allowing for easier access to enter and exit the vehicle.
The interior adopts a 6-seater layout.

The third-row seats look like a sofa, made of suede material. In the rear, the lower section can be opened and laid flat in addition to opening the tailgate to access the trunk space. A panoramic sunroof is also present.
In the cockpit, the half-moon steering wheel is eye-catching, along with the stacked horizontal screens that run across the dashboard. The center console is decorated with a large area of wood pattern design with a rotary knob sitting on the top.

MPV market demand in China​

In 2023, more than 240,000 new energy MPVs were sold in China, a year-on-year increase of 177.3% compared to the previous year’s sales of 88,000 units, according to the China Passenger Car Association (CPCA). In particular, the sales volume of plug-in hybrid MPVs reached 164,000 units, a year-on-year increase of over 430%.
Industry insiders indicated that the higher pricing and larger profit margins of high-end new energy MPVs are highly attractive to companies. As the Chinese government lifted its one-child policy and advocating for the two-child and three-child policies, in addition to China’s middle-class expansion, MPVs with larger space and passenger capacity are becoming more popular. However, at the same time, CPCA also indicated from January to February this year, new energy MPV sales increased by 67.4% year-on-year, and the growth rate dropped significantly.
Source: DongCheDi, AutoHome, STCN

People queue hours to see Xiaomi SU7 closer at Beijing Auto Show [Report]​

Jiri Opletal

April 28, 2024

Crowded Xiaomi booth at Beijing Auto Show 2024.

I want this

Follow Us

Xiaomi Motor booth was placed in Hall W2 at the Beijing Auto Show, between Buick and Geely. It was far from being the largest in the hall but gathered the largest crowd.

The consumer electronic giant brought its first electric vehicle, the SU7 electric sedan, to the show. The car launched a month ago on March 28, has gathered over 70,000 locked-in orders (meaning deposits of about 800 USD can’t be returned) and sold out for the rest of the year. During April, Xiaomi delivered about 5,000 cars called Founders Edition. These models were mass-produced before the launch in February and March, and each has its unique number.
Xiaomi SU7 in Beijing.
On the opening day of Auto China 2024, the new official name of the Beijing Auto Show, the Xiaomi press conference gathered the most crowds of all automakers. Xiaomi’s CEO Lei Jun was welcomed by applause and shouting wherever he went as he was meeting other automaker CEOs, such as BYD’s Wang Chuanfu or Nio’s William Li.

Even during the press days, people queued for about 40 minutes to access the booth, see the car closer, and sit in it. When the doors opened to the general public on Saturday, the queues got longer, with people waiting about two hours to get inside the booth.

“SU7 is the most popular car in China right now. It has a really good promotion, but I want to see by myself if it is so good,” said one of the visitors to CarNewsChina, who had been waiting for about 1.5 hours to get inside the booth and worked as a UX designer in Beijing.
“I’m interested in the quality of autonomous driving. The design is similar to the Porsche Taycan, but it doesn’t really matter to me; it is their first car. The most important for me is the car’s intelligence,” the young man standing next joins the conversation. “The (Xiaomi) SU7 has a good price. I am considering buying it or the Huawei M7 (refers to Huawei’s brand Aito and its SUV Aito M7),” he replies when asked if the SU7 will be his next car.

Zhang Yijing, a 24-year-old computer software engineer, has no driving license but patiently waited in the queue on SU7 for about two hours. “I use all the products from Xiaomi – phone, air conditioner, wash machine,… It is not so expensive, and quality is fair enough,” Yijing says. “I have money to buy the car, but I can’t afford a place where to park it. Maybe in five years, when I can afford a flat with a parking lot. When I have conditions to have it, I will have it,” he replies when asked about the SU7 purchase.
Xiaomi SU7 sedan starts at 215,900 yuan (30,400 USD) in China. It offers 220 kW – 495 kW (299 – 673 horsepower) of motor power and up to 800 km CLTC range thanks to the 101 kWh NMC Qilin battery from CATL. The entry-level version with 73.6 kWh BYD’s LFP Blade battery is also available. The important selling point for Chinese consumers is Xiaomi’s connectivity and intelligence. The car is deeply embedded into Xiaomi’s ecosystem, natively paired with smartphones, tablets, and also Xiaomi home appliances. For example, you can open curtains in your living room or start a washing machine in your car.

Dongfeng eπ 008 SUV pre-sale started at 30,300 USD in China​

Dong Yi Chen

April 29, 2024

I want this

Follow Us

Recently, Dongfeng’s brand opened its 008 SUV for pre-sale, with a price range of 220,000 – 250,000 yuan (30,300 – 34,500 USD), available in EV and EREV models. The official launch will be in June this year. The 008 is eπ’s second model after the 007. From April 25th to May 31st, consumers who placed a reservation for 99 yuan (14 USD) can enjoy benefits worth over 10,000 yuan (1,380 USD).

The Dongfeng eπ 008 mainly targets family users, built based on Dongfeng’s Quantum Architecture and powered by Dongfeng’s Mach E powertrain system. according to Chen Hao, Deputy General Manager of Dongfeng. Next, Dongfeng eπ plans to launch more EVs and EREVs in the 150,000 – 250,000 yuan (20,700 – 34,500 USD) market segment.

The Dongfeng eπ 008 measures 5002/1972/1732 mm, and the wheelbase is 3025 mm, positioned as a medium-to-large SUV. The interior adopts a 2+2+2 seat layout and has a 4.9㎡ panoramic sunroof.

Furthermore, the SUV has an official drag coefficient of 0.268Cd.
Inside, the cockpit is minimalistic and is available in three colors: beige, black, and red. The number of physical buttons has been minimized. Instead, the functions have been integrated into the double-spoke multi-function steering wheel, the 8.8-inch full LCD instrument panel, and the 15.6-inch central control screen.
The cockpit also features a 9.2-inch high-definition digital rearview mirror, a 15.6-inch entertainment screen for the rear passengers, double-layer laminated soundproof glasses, a 20-speaker sound system, zero-gravity seats with massage/ventilation/heating functions, and a mobile refrigerator that supports both heating and cooling. Additionally, the trunk space has a maximum volume of 783 L.

The EV version is powered by an electric motor with a maximum power of 200 kW. The power consumption is 14.7 kWh per 100 km, the CLTC cruising range is 636 km, and the top speed is 180 km/h. The EREV version is equipped with a 1.5T engine range extender and an electric motor, of which the 1.5T engine has a maximum power of 108 kW and a thermal efficiency of 45.18%. The CLTC pure electric range is 210 km and the CLTC comprehensive cruising range is 1,300 km. At this time, the battery specs for both versions have not been revealed officially.
There is a digital display indicating the charging status at the rear quarter.
Source: , Sohu

The updated BMW i4, new concept car and 20 new cars planned in China​

Naveed Rastegar

April 29, 2024

I want this

Follow Us

This week at the Beijing auto show, both major brands under the BMW Group—BMW and Mini—presented their full range of fifteen-vehicle series. From compact entry-level to large luxury cars, the BMW booth covered nearly every luxury segment, offering various drivetrain options, including gasoline, pure electric, plug-in hybrid, and hydrogen fuel cell. BMW highlighted China’s importance and the Chinese market for its future goals. The new i4 was the first to take center stage.

The BMW i4
Since its launch in 2020, the current BMW 4 Series has achieved nearly 400,000 global sales. In the competitive Chinese market, the BMW 4 Series family has led the mid-sized luxury coupe segment in 2023. BMW hopes that the new all-electric BMW i4, along with the refreshed BMW 4 Series Coupe and Convertible, will solidify the 4 Series family’s position as a leader in the Chinese mid-sized luxury segment. The BMW i4, introduced in 2021, is now showcased a refreshed update at the auto show.

BMW announced ambitious plans for the Chinese market.
At the auto show, it was announced that in 2024 alone, BMW and MINI would introduce over 20 new models. These offerings will cater to diverse customer preferences, aiming for BMW to remain at the forefront of luxury automotive innovation. BMW claims that its commitment to China extends beyond product launches. The company’s investment in technology and customer-centric design underscores its long-term confidence in the market. BMW’s leadership team, including Chairman Oliver Zipse, reaffirmed their commitment during a presentation at the show.
BMW Vision Neue Klasse concept car

This year’s Beijing Auto Show marked the debut of the BMW Vision Neue Klasse concept car, providing a glimpse of the brand’s future definition of personal luxury travel. Through these next-generation models, BMW aims to showcase three core areas of automotive industry transformation: electrification, sustainability, and full digitization. Oliver Zipse, Chairman of the Board of Management of BMW AG, emphasized, “With the Neue Klasse, we are carrying BMW into the future in design, technology, and philosophy. It begins next year when we will release the NEUE KLASSE onto the market—not with niche models, but starting in our most successful, highest-volume segments. It reinforces BMW’s sportiness and luxury label in an extremely modern and innovative manner, defining the future of intelligent luxury personal mobility.”
Conclusion
As the automotive industry evolves, BMW’s electrification strategy and product lineup position it as a leader in China. With a strong brand, innovative designs, and a focus on sustainability, BMW aims to provide benchmark luxury products for discerning Chinese consumers.
BMW’s electrification journey and commitment to sustainable luxury are evident in the models presented at this years Beijing Auto Show.
Source: YiCai

Musk’s China trip ends with Tesla-Baidu partnership for FSD launch, Bloomberg reports​

Jiri Opletal

April 29, 2024

Tesla CEO Elon Musk meets with Chinese Premier Li Qiang, Beijing, April 28. Credit: Xinhua

I want this

Follow Us

Tesla CEO Elon Musk surprisedly visited Beijing on Sunday, meeting Premier Li Qiang and spending less than 24 hours in China. As his trip concluded on Monday morning, Bloomberg reported that a mapping deal had been signed between Tesla and internet giant Baidu, sometimes dubbed China’s Google, clearing the regulatory way for the Full Self Driving (FSD) launch in China.

In China, all advanced driver-assistance systems (ADAS) must first obtain a mapping qualification to operate on public roads. Foreign companies must collaborate with domestic firms holding the license. Baidu is one of the dozen companies that has acquired this qualification.
When Musk arrived in Beijing, not Shanghai, where Giga Shanghai, responsible for half of Tesla’s global production, is located, speculations emerged about the purpose of the visit, as Beijing Auto how is undergoing in China’s capital. It turned out the discussions were focused on FSD approval in China and possible robotaxi services.

Baidu and Tesla began their partnership in early 2020, with Tesla already integrating Baidu’s navigation map, akin to smartphone apps, into its vehicles in China.
As Chinese law requires, all information collected by the Tesla fleet is currently stored locally in domestic data centers without being sent to an overseas HQ in the US.
A week ago, Baidu announced that Tesla vehicles will integrate Baidu maps in May. Collaborating with Baidu enables Tesla to overcome a significant regulatory barrier, granting access to data collection on China’s public roads.

In April, Musk teased on social media platform X that FSD may be available to Chinese customers very soon.
On Sunday, just before Musk landed in Beijing, the China Consumers Association (CCA) reported that Tesla, along with 76 models from six car companies, met all four data security requirements for automotive data processing, indicating that Tesla localization storage is complete.
If Tesla’s FSD is launched in China, it will face competition from local EV startups. Guangzhou-based Xpeng recently expanded its XNGP (Xpeng Navigation Guided Pilot) nationwide to all roads in China. It plans to make it available globally in 2025, as testing on European roads has already started.
In March, Nio made its NOP+ (Navigate on Pilot Plus) available throughout China, recruiting the first 100 testers. NOP was previously only usable on highways. Nio plans to bring its assisted driving software overseas.
Geely and Baidu (China’s Google) unveiled a new brand, Jiyue, last year, focusing on reaching L4 autonomous driving with their models, which include the Jiyue 01 SUV and the recently unveiled Jiuye 07 sedan. And Huawei is not behind with its Aito and Avatr brands, which offer various levels of advanced and autonomous driving systems called Huawei ADS.
Obtaining the mapping service license enables Tesla to legally deploy its FSD software on Chinese roads, allowing its fleets to collect data on road layouts, traffic signs, and nearby structures. The ownership of the collected data, whether it belongs to Tesla or Baidu, is not immediately apparent.

EXCLUSIVE Tesla in talks with Baidu Apollo, explores robotaxi launch in China, sources say​

Jiri Opletal

April 29, 2024

Baidu Apollo RT6 Robotaxi without steering wheel. Credit: Baidu

I want this

Follow Us

Tesla and Baidu Apollo hold exploratory talks regarding the robotaxi service launch in China and the robocar alliance, two sources familiar with the matter told CarNewsChina.

“They (Tesla) will most likely not get the permit to transfer data collected by their fleet needed for FSD training out of China to the US. Their plan B is to co-store and locally process data with us as we already have mapping license cooperation and experience with our own robotaxi service,” the person who remains anonymous as he is not authorized to talk with the media told CNC.
Tesla and Baidu, also called China’s Google, are not strangers. The two giants began their partnership in early 2020, and Tesla has already integrated Baidu’s navigation map into its vehicles in China. Last week, on April 28, it was also reported that Baidu struck a deal with Tesla to license its mapping service for data collection, paving the way to launch the FSD in China.

READ ALSO
Exclusive First Look: Baidu RT6 Robotaxi - The Fully Autonomous Car from China's Google

Exclusive First Look: Baidu RT6 Robotaxi – The Fully Autonomous Car from China’s Google​

The report concluded Elon Musk’s short trip to China, where he met with Chinese Premier Li Qiang. Musk previously announced that Tesla is now fully focused on the launch of a fully autonomous robotaxi service and will make a major announcement on May 8. The source told CNC that Tesla seeks to launch a fully autonomous robotaxi in China before the US.
Baidu Apollo is Baidu’s self-driving project focusing on level 4 (L4) autonomous driving. On February 26, Baidu received the permit to offer robotaxi service at Daixing Airport in Beijing. On March 8, the company launched China’s first 24/7 fully driverless robotaxi service in Wuhan.
With the approval granted by the head office of the Beijing High-Level Automated Driving Demonstration Area, Apollo Go can provide autonomous vehicles on the 40-kilometer expressway connecting Daxing International Airport and Beijing urban areas.

READ ALSO
Baidu Apollo Go self-driving taxis expand testing to Yongchuan, Chongqing

Baidu Apollo Go self-driving taxis expand testing to Yongchuan, Chongqing​

In addition to Beijing, Baidu’s fully autonomous driving robotaxis already operates in several cities nationwide, including Chongqing, Wuhan, and Shenzhen.
Baidu claims Apollo Go is the world’s largest autonomous driving mobility service provider. As of September 30, 2023, it had accumulated more than 4.1 million ride orders. In the Q3 of last year, Apollo Go provided 821,000 rides, marking a 73 percent surge compared with the previous year.
Baidu is also the first company in China to get a permit for testing driverless buses on public roads. In 2022, it unveiled the Baidu RT6 Robotaxi fully autonomous concept car, which CarnewsChina had an exclusive first look at.
Despite the Apollo Go progress, Baidu lacks customers for its self-driving solution. The only one so far is Jiyue Auto, which launched its Robo-01, later renamed Jiuye 01, and recently unveiled the Jiuye 07 sedan at the Beijing Auto Show. However, Jiuye is a joint venture between Baidu and Geely.

FAW Bestune Pony to begin presales April 30​

Mark Andrews

April 29, 2024

I want this

Follow Us

Have you ever dreamed of owning an electric My Little Pony? It seems FAW have you covered with the Bestune (formerly Besturn) Pony available is six exterior and five interior colors. The Pony is the latest entrant to an increasingly crowded micro EV segment and follows the typical Wuling Hongguang Mini EV clone playbook. Pre-sales are set to being on April 30.

This FAW car gets called a lot of different things. Firstly the Chinese name is Xiaoma (小马) which translates as Pony. However, Benteng (奔腾) which is the Chinese name for the Bestune brand translates as galloping and so you will see this car also being referred to as the Galloping Pony even though top speed is 100 km/h! The car has actually been a long time coming, it was first seen at last year’s Shanghai Auto Show and is only just going on sale now. Bear in mind the Wuling Hongguang Mini EV is said to have gone from a clean sheet of paper to production in about a year.
Size wise it comes in at 3000, 1510 and 1630 mm (l/w/h) while the wheelbase is 1953 mm. Outside the car is decked out in a two tone paint job with a white roof and inserts on various parts of the body. Buyers can choose from these external colors: jasmine white, bubble blue, celestial blue, camellia green, peach pink, and cheese white (pearlescent white). There is a completely enclosed front grille and the two headlights are quite distinctive. The Bestune logo acts as the cover for the charging port.

As strictly a three-dour four seat car the interior space seems tight. Unlike some competitors there is no central screen and just an LCD instrument screen. Most of the Mini EV cars have the drive selector on a console between the two seats but on the Pony this is more sensibly located on the dashboard. Mounted to the left of it are the electric window controls. To the right are three dials for climate control. In front of the passenger is what appears to be a basic sound system consisting of radio, Bluetooth phone connection and a USB port. Buyers can specify the interior in beach gold, bubble blue, sky daisy blue, camellia green, and peach pink. Safety equipment seems to only consist of seatbelts and a driver’s airbag.
The Bestune Pony is powered by a 20 kW electric motor which delivers 85 Nm of torque. The lowest spec (Cute Fun Horse) gets a 9.4 kWh battery good for 122 km CLTC range. Both higher spec versions have names meaning something like Vitality Horse and benefit from a 13.9 kWh battery meaning a 170 km range.
There also should be a convertible version going on sale.

Editor’s note:​

There are a lot of micro EVs on the market now and new ones seem be coming every month, the Zhidou Rainbow launched just a few weeks ago. Pretty much all except the Changan Lumin look almost exactly the same as the trailblazing Wuling Hongguang Mini EV and the Bestune Pony is no exception. Quite what the car brings to the market that the others don’t is questionable. Equally why it has taken so long for sales to begin is a mystery.
Sources: Autohome, Dongchedi

Nio’s semi-solid state 150 kWh battery launch June 1​

Mark Andrews

April 29, 2024

Demonstration of a Nio Swap Station 3.0 on the Nio stand at the 2023 Shanghai Auto Show.

I want this

Follow Us

Nio’s long awaited semi-solid state battery will finally launch on June 1 almost two years later than previously promised. The 150 kWh unit is the biggest capacity battery pack produced in China along with having the highest energy density. Certainly at the beginning it will only be available as an upgrade charged on a daily basis.

Nio initially claimed that the battery would begin deliveries in 2022 but only finally at the end of last year were prototypes becoming a reality with Nio CEO William Li undertaking a live-streamed endurance test in December in a Nio ET7. Over the course of 14 hours of driving at an average speed of 83.9 km/h the car covered 1044 km.

Thanks to Nio’s battery swapping technology all Nio owners can benefit from the new battery. The cost of renting is dependent on how big a battery the car was sold with. Those with 70/75 kWh battery packs will have to pay 150 yuan (21 USD) a day to use the 150 kWh pack. For those already with a larger 100 kWh pack the price is reduced to 100 yuan (14 USD) a day. Due to the modular nature of Nio’s battery swapping technology the 150 kWh unit has the same dimensions as all Nio’s other batteries.

According to Nio the 150 kWh battery pack is the world’s first soft-pack CTP (cell to pack) battery without thermal runaway. The battery is semi-solid state and the energy density is up to 360 Wh/kg which is the highest energy density for any pack currently mass-produced in China.
It’s previously been claimed that the cost of the 150 kWh pack is extremely expensive, about the same as a Nio ET5 car. This is believed to be the reason why the 150 kWh is not being offered for actual purchase by customers. The battery gives Nio models a range of around 1000 km CLTC and the rental means people undertaking long trip can rent a battery for a few days.
A Nio ET7 undergoing battery swapping with the Nio Power Swap Station 3.0 installed at the Nio Delivery Center, Nanxiang, Jiading District, Shanghai, China.
Nio in the first quarter of 2024 delivered 30,053 cars and have sold to date 479,647. The 2024 version of the Nio ET7 launched at the Beijing Auto Show.

Buyers of Nio cars have the option of buying just the car without the battery and then renting the battery under a BaaS (battery as a service) agreement. In mid-March Nio brought down the monthly rental price of the standard battery pack (75 kWh) from 980 yuan to 728 yuan. Similarly, the long-range pack (100 kWh) price came down from 1680 yuan to 1128 yuan.
Sources: Autohome, Fast Technology

Polestar 5 prototype charges 10-80% in 10 minutes​

Mark Andrews

April 29, 2024

I want this

Follow Us
A Polestar 5 prototype has managed to charge from 10-80% in 10 minutes. Charging rate during the test started at 310 kW and rose to over 370 kW by the end of charging. This is a world- first demonstration in a drivable vehicle, as opposed to a laboratory demonstration for individual cells.

The test was carried out with a Polestar 5 prototype car fitted with a 77 kWh battery. Its aim was to demonstrate a proof-of-concept for Extreme Fast Charging (XFC) battery technology from Israeli startup StoreDot.
StoreDot’s technology has an energy density equivalent to NMC cells but uses silicon-dominant cells. This means that the cells don’t need a specialist cooling system. Instead the experimental modules have a structural function which improves mechanical properties and cooling ability while maintaining or reducing weight levels. Furthermore, recyclability and serviceability are primary considerations in the pack design utilizing the XFC technology.

Current graphite anodes are reaching theoretical performance limits restricting development. In contrast XFC uses a silicon based anode which allows the possibility to push both energy density and charging rate times across several more battery generations.
Polestar’s test shows that the technology works with today’s DC charging infrastructure featuring chargers of 350 kW or higher. Additionally, it shows that StoreDot’s technology has a drop-in ability to integrate with existing cars.

“Time is one of life’s greatest luxuries, and as a manufacturer of luxury electric performance cars, we need to take the next step to address one of the biggest barriers to EV ownership – charging anxiety. With this new technology, on longer journeys when drivers do stop they’ll be able to spend less time charging and be back on the road faster than before. In fact, that stop time will be more akin to what they experience with a petrol car today,” says Thomas Ingenlath, Polestar CEO.

The Polestar 5 is a four door GT model due to go on sale in 2025. It should measure in at around 4.7 meters long with a wheelbase of over 3 meters. Currently the Polestar 5 is meant to deliver with batteries from Korean producer SK On and the car will be produced in China. Whether StoreDot’s XFC technology will make it to the production version remains to be seen.
Source: Polesetar, StoreDot

Wuling Starlight EV launched for 13,800 USD, available in 410 km and 510 km ranges​

Dong Yi Chen

April 30, 2024

I want this

Follow Us

Recently, Wuling officially launched its Starlight EV at the Beijing Auto Show, namely, the 2024 Co-Creation 410 Standard Edition and the 2024 Co-Creation 510 Advanced Edition. The price tag is 99,800 yuan (13,800 USD) and 109,800 yuan (15,100 USD), respectively. Earlier, the PHEV models were launched with a price range of 88,800 – 105,800 yuan (12,400 – 14,800 USD).

Customers can choose from four exterior body colors for the Wuling Starlight EV.
Wuling Starlight PHEVWuling Starlight EV
The front face of the EV version is slightly different from the PHEV version with a closed front face design and the headlights are more sharp, while the light strip that runs across the front face disappeared.

The Wuling Starlight EV has the same size as the PHEV version, coming in at 4835/1860/1515 mm, and a wheelbase of 2800 mm, positioned as a compact sedan. The car runs on 18-inch star-shaped rims with a drag coefficient of 0.228Cd.
Coming to the interior, the cockpit remains consistent with that of the Wuling Starlight PHEV. Most notably, the air-conditioning outlet runs across the dashboard and a large number of functions are concentrated on the 15.6-inch central control screen (10.1-inch for the 401 Standard Edition) and the 8.8-inch LED instrument panel. Furthermore, only the 510 Advanced Edition is equipped with the Ling OS, which supports GPS navigation, OTA updates, and voice recognition control.
Other configurations include 6-ways electric adjustment of the driver seat, two front and two rear USB ports, and an ISOFIX car seat interface. At the same time, the Wuling Starlight comes with level 2 advanced driving assistance functions such adaptive cruise control, traffic sign recognition, automatic emergency braking, forward collision warning, and lane departure warning.

Additionally, the standard trunk volume is 540 L.
Both the 410 Standard Edition and the 510 Advanced Edition are powered by a front single electric motor. The maximum power and peak torque are 100 kW/200 Nm and 150 kW/310 Nm, respectively. It takes 7.3 seconds to accelerate from 0 – 100 km/h and the top speed is 160km/h.
Moreover, the 410 Standard Edition is equipped with a 41.9 kWh lithium iron phosphate battery pack, providing a CLTC cruising range of 410 km. The 510 Advanced Edition is equipped with a 54.5 kWh lithium iron phosphate battery pack, offering a CLTC cruising range of 510 km. Under fast charging, it takes 15 minutes and about 20 minutes for the two models to replenish from 30% to 80%, respectively.
Wuling Starlight overall sales performance.
Since its launch, more than 32,000 units of the Wuling Starlight were sold.
Source: Wuling, DongCheDi, 16888

Lynk & Co Zero breaks camouflage​

Mark Andrews

April 30, 2024

I want this

Follow Us

The first uncamouflaged spy shot of the forthcoming Lynk & Co Zero has emerged. Expect the Zero to be launched very soon and the car will act as the all-electric flagship for Geely’s Lynk & Co brand along with being the brand’s first all-electric model.

So far the only spy shot without camouflage shows just the front end of the Lynk & Co Zero. We can however see that it doesn’t look as similar to the 07 EM-P as we originally thought. Firstly the running lights consist of four small vertical bars flanked by longer bars that go most of the way down to the horizontal through-type headlight cluster below. There are two strong rib lines on the hood and the front bumper is more subdued than recent Lynk & Co models.
Without camouflage spy shots of the rest of the Zero we’re reliant on some renderings going around the Chinese Internet at the moment for our best guess at what the rest of the car will look like. We know from spy shots that at least some versions will feature Lidar and a panoramic roof. One notable feature of the Zero is the small window between the C and D pillars which has a quite distinctive wave look to it.

Renderings of the Lynk & Co Zero from Sugar Design on Xiaohongshu
It’s expected that the car will have good internal space thanks to it really utilizing the dedicated electric SEA (Sustainable Experience Architecture) platform to get the most out of the dimensions. Performance and drivetrain specifications are likely similar to Zeekr cars riding on the same platform and the Zeekr 001 certainly is likely to be very comparable. Expect the Zero to come with 800V architecture and the dual-motor all-wheel-drive will have a combined power of 580 kW with a range in excess of 600 km CLTC.
We can see from spy shots that the Zero is paired with large wheels shod with Michelin PS4 sports tires and it can be expected that the new model will emphasize the car’s performance. Rumors suggest there may even be a quad motor version and that the car will have four wheel steering.
Car News China expects the Zero to be unveiled next month in Gothenburg, Sweden. It will likely be aimed as a competitor to cars like the Xiaomi SU7 and IM L6 which will likely mean that top spec versions will sell for around 300,000 yuan (41,450 USD).

Source: Autohome

China EV registrations in W17: Xiaomi 1,700, Nio 5,000, Tesla 14,800, BYD 64,000​

Jiri Opletal

April 30, 2024

I want this

Follow Us

The market was mainly up in China during week 17 of the year (April 22 – 28). Xiaomi registered 1,700 units of SU7, the same as the week before; Nio was 67% up, Tesla 185% up, and BYD nearly 8% up from the week before.

The weekly sales data were published by Li Auto, which recently stopped releasing the reports. Chinese outlet Dongchedi took over and started publishing the sales every Tuesday. The background data are weekly insurance registrations. The numbers are rounded and present new energy vehicles (NEV), the Chinese term for BEVs, PHEVs, and EREVs (range extenders). To be completely precise, it also includes hydrogen vehicles (FCEVs), but their sales are almost non-existent in China.
BYD got the first spot as usual, registering 64,000 units, up 7.56% from 59,500 units in the previous week. BYD sold 219,500 vehicles between April 1 and 28.

Tesla saw a significant surge in sales, with 14,800 units sold, marking an 184.62% increase from the 5,200 units sold in the previous week. Tesla’s total sales for the period between April 1 and 28 were 28,080 units.
Tesla sells two cars in China – Model 3 sedan, which starts at 245,900 yuan (33,3960 USD), and Model Y, which starts at 258,900 yuan (35,760 USD).
Tesla sales breakdown:

• Model Y: 12,600 units
  • Model 3: 2,200 units

Li Auto also demonstrated solid growth, selling 7,100 units, a 57.78% increase from the 4,500 units sold in the previous week. Li Auto’s total sales for the period between April 1 and 28 were 24,370 units.
Huawei-backed Aito achieved a moderate increase in sales, with 7,000 units sold, up 16.67% from the 6,000 units sold in the previous week. Aito’s total sales for the period between April 1 and 28 were 22,040 units.
Zeekr showed fair enough growth, selling 5,000 units, a 56.25% increase from the 3,200 units sold in the previous week. Zeekr’s total sales for the period between April 1 and 28 were 11,900 units.
Nio also demonstrated strong growth, selling 5,000 units, a 66.67% increase from the 3,000 units sold in the previous week. Nio’s total sales for the period between April 1 and 28 were 14,120 units.

Stellantis-backed Leapmotor saw a slight increase in sales, with 4,000 units sold, up 2.56% from the 3,900 units sold in the previous week. Leapmotor’s total sales for the period between April 1 and 28 were 15,130 units.
Deepal maintained steady sales, with 2,800 units sold, the same as the previous week. Deepal’s total sales for the period between April 1 and 28 were 7,600 units.
Volkswagen-backed Xpeng experienced a modest increase in sales, with 2,700 units sold, up 8.00% from the 2,500 units sold in the previous week. Xpeng’s total sales for the period between April 1 and 28 were 8,020 units.
BYD’s Denza showed solid growth, selling 2,500 units, a 25.00% increase from the 2,000 units sold in the previous week.
Xiaomi maintained its sales performance, with 1,700 units sold, the same as the previous week. Xiaomi’s total sales for the period between April 1 and 28 were 6,880 units. Xiaomi only sells electric sedan SU7.

Here is the last of the top 10 best-selling EVs priced over 250,000 yuan (34,500 USD):
  1. Zeekr 001: 3,300
  2. Nio ET5/ET5T: 1,900
  3. Nio ES6: 1,800
  4. Avatr 12: 1,000
  5. Nio EC6: 700
  6. Xpeng G9: 500
  7. Xpeng X9: 500
  8. Aito M9: 400
  9. Denza N7: 300
  10. Nio ES8: 200

Avatr going overseas in 2024 + new Avatr 15 spy shots​

Mark Andrews

April 30, 2024

I want this

Follow Us

Chen Zhuo, President of Avatr Technology, and Yong Jun, Vice President of Avatr Technology spoke recently at the Beijing Auto Show to Chinese media about the plans for the brand. Crucially we now know Avatr will launch overseas sales this year, initially in Thailand and that the export plan will be a three wave movement. Additionally we now know more about what the four product line up will look like by the end of the year including more spy shots of the Avatr 15.

Last year Changan controlled brand Avatr chose IAA Munich to unveil its second model the Avatr 12 (pronounced one two) sedan leading to speculation that the brand was looking to go overseas. Avatr officials confirmed this at the Beijing Auto Show saying that the initial market would be Thailand in the second half of the year and going on to say Avatr would enter a large number of markets by the end of the year.
Yong said that Avatr had categorized markets into the ease of entering them and that the company would tackle the easiest first. The first wave will enter low-difficulty regions which the company believes to be Central Asia, North Africa, South America, the Middle East, and Southeast Asia. Next will come entry in EU markets and finally the most difficult, the North American market.

Yong states, the AVATR brand is built by Changan, Huawei, and CATL jointly aggregating their own advantages and capabilities.
Currently the brand has only two models on sale, the Avatr 11 and 12. By the end of the year these will be joined by the cheaper Avatr 15 and 16 models. All four will be available as both all electric and extended range EVs. Avatr sold 14,532 cars in the first quarter and is targeting 84,000 for the whole year. Given that the first quarter only achieved 17.3% of the target the brand will needs sales to pick up over the rest or the year.
Avatr 15 spy shots including interior
With both the Avatr 15 and 16 due to launch in the second half of year they could provide the increase in sales the brand needs. The Avatr 15 is a mid-size SUV designed to compete with the Tesla Model Y, the Avatr 16 on the other hand is a sporty sedan to take on the Tesla Model 3. Both will be cheaper than the 11 and 12 with an aim to boost volume for the brand.

New spy shots have emerged of the Avatr 15 including the cabin. We can see that inside the Avatr 15 is similar to the Avatr 12 with a continuous instrument screen and a floating infotainment unit.
Also spied recently is the forthcoming extended range version of the Avatr 12 which obviously looks largely the same as the all-electric version.
Avatr 12 extended range (EREV) version spy shot

Chery shows 2 new export models​

Reading Time: 4 minutes

Mark Andrews

April 30, 2024

I want this

Follow Us

Recently Chery unveiled two new models for export; significantly they differ from domestic models offered by the company. The first car, the Omoda 7, is a new car while the export version of the Exceed Exlantix ES differs visually from the domestic market version.

The Omoda 7 was unveiled at an event held for overseas dealers by Chery at its headquarters in Wuhu, Anhui Province. Omoda was initially the name of a Chery model but has since become an export brand, the name first being used in Russia and other former Soviet markets before expanding coverage. Omoda has more upmarket positioning than the Chery brand. The new Omoda 7 follows on from the original Omoda 5.
Currently the Omoda 7 is a PHEV with reportedly an ICE version but not an all-electric version on its way. The mid-sized SUV measures in at 4,621, 1,872 and 1,673 mm (l/w/h), with a wheelbase of 2,700 mm. It rides on 20-inch wheels which feature a spiral like pattern. The platform is a stretched version of the one underpinning the Omoda 5 and the Omoda 7 features double hydraulic suspension and an advanced brake-by-wire system.

At the front the Omoda 7 has an enclosed grille with a dot matrix type pattern. Reportedly the hexagonal pattern in the front corners can light up. Following the typical style currently popular with Chinese SUV designs the Omoda 7 has a floating roof thanks to a two-tone paint scheme with black above the window line. The sharp kickback toward the D-pillar is a notable feature as are the semi-recessed door handles. These are obviously a lot cheaper than fully recessed ones and retain some of the improved aerodynamics while remaining mechanically simpler.
The interior is based on the Fulwin series and inside the Omoda 5 has a 15.6-inch screen which can slide from the center over to the passenger side like in a Zeekr X. It has 2.5 k resolution and 1,000 nit brightness and the car features control through not only the screen but also gesture and voice. Chery claim the steering wheel is in a gaming style – inspiration supposedly coming from a PlayStation 5 controller. The seats are also meant to be gaming style and are nubuck leather.
Chery claims NVH is good with 90% noise abatement and 10 dB inhibiting ability which helps quieten the cabin. Meanwhile, for audiophiles there’s a 12 + 2 speaker Sony sound system, the +2 being small speakers in the driver’s headrest for things like navigation prompts and phone calls. The Omoda 7 also features a fragrance dispenser.

Powering the Omoda 7 is Chery’s by now familiar Kunpeng hybrid system featuring a 1.5 TGDi petrol engine. Details of the hybrid component are unknown but maximum power for the engine is 115 kW with a peak torque of 220 Nm. An electric range of 95 km and combined range of 1250 km were claimed at the event but it is unknown on what cycle these distances were calculated. Similarly fuel consumption was said to be 4.98 l/100 km.
Also shown recently was the export version of the Chery Exeed Exlantix ES electric sedan which is known in China as the Sterra ES. This has a number of differences to the domestic model. Most noticeably the front is more aggressive. There are also more sporty looking wheel trims and the display model had a racy yellow paint job.
Measuring in at 4945 mm long, 1978 mm wide, with a maximum height of 1489 mm tall, the sleek sedan has a 3000 mm wheelbase. Thanks partly to the 0.205Cd drag coefficient it has a CLTC range of up to 905 km. Higher spec versions of the domestic model have 800V architecture and battery sizes range from 60.5 kWh to 97.7 kWh. Lowest spec versions get a 185 kW motor while higher spec ones swap this out for a 230 kW motor. All wheel drive versions retain this motor and add a 123 kW unit to the front axle.
Inside the Chery Exeed Exlantix ES has the same center screen as the Omoda 7, although it doesn’t slide. Additionally there is a 12.3-inch instrument screen. Powering the cockpit is a Qualcomm Snapdragon 8155 chip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Country Watch Latest

Back