China Auto Thread

Yommie

Elite Member
Oct 2, 2013
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Actually what's amazing is how even with being bland and expensive they are still #2 while those with far cheaper and flashier cars are far far far below in sales.

I think it is the poor quality reputation Chinese car companies have.

From the trend it looks like Li will pass Tesla this year. And that's just the beginning. I expect Geely will also pass Tesla. Geely cars are way more stylish.

Yommie

Elite Member
Oct 2, 2013
Country of Origin
Country of Residence

2024 NIO ET7 Exclusive Edition Range 705km Review | NIO | Chinese Ev​

Hamartia Antidote

Elite Member
Nov 17, 2013
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Yes, that is actually the bad side of it.

One of the factors why many people outside China are interesting about Chinese car, is because of the autonomous driving system.

All of them will be disappointed, including me. Very sad actually.

Anyway, Xpeng's XNGP officially support 200 cities in Mainland China (and in 200 cities, not all the road is covered, if I'm not mistaken).

Well more bad news about Xpeng and autonomous driving outside China

XPeng G6 review in Australia..no autonomous LiDAR version available.

More and more it is looking like Tesla is going to have a huge advantage around the world with autonomous driving.

Also Elon Musk said something very very interesting. He said they are actually having trouble testing the new versions of their FSD software because the problems are becoming so few that it is actually hard to tell if the changes they are making are actually improving things.

He says the only way they can tell is to have many of the ~7 million Teslas already on the road run the FSD software "behind the scenes" when the user is driving and seeing if how the user drives is similar to what the software thinks it should do. They then can figure out which version is doing better.

He said other autonomous car makers are going to run into serious problems if they don't have fleets of millions of cars already on the road to help them.
notpossible.png

Last edited:

Yommie

Elite Member
Oct 2, 2013
Country of Origin
Country of Residence

BYD Song L DM-i Interior Revealed in China, Starting at $16,500 probably​

Hamartia Antidote

Elite Member
Nov 17, 2013
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
From the trend it looks like Li will pass Tesla this year. And that's just the beginning. I expect Geely will also pass Tesla. Geely cars are way more stylish.

Are you insinuating Chinese car makers only started making stylish cars this year or something? How about last year or the year before?

Yommie

Elite Member
Oct 2, 2013
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Are you insinuating Chinese car makers only started making stylish cars this year or something? How about last year or the year before?

Chinese are new players when it comes to making cars. Americans been making cars since early 1900s. Chinese only started making cars in the 1980s. Give it 10 more years and we shall see if Tesla can compete with Geely.

Hamartia Antidote

Elite Member
Nov 17, 2013
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Chinese are new players when it comes to making cars. Americans been making cars since early 1900s. Chinese only started making cars in the 1980s. Give it 10 more years and we shall see if Tesla can compete with Geely.

Okay this sounds like a better answer than your “stylish” one

Yommie

Elite Member
Oct 2, 2013
Country of Origin
Country of Residence

Sunday China Drive | BYD Seal 06 DM-i PHEV has a 2,100 km range with quality to match​

Reading Time: 6 minutes

Adrian Leung

June 23, 2024

BYD Seal 06 DM-i

News like this to your inbox or phone?​

Weekly summary to your inbox
I want this

Never miss and important news
Get Instant notification once the news is published.
Follow Us

On 28 May 2024, BYD launched the new DM-i 5.0 PHEV platform and advertised its 2100 km range on the Seal 06 DM-i and Qin L DM-i. Both cars were introduced with a starting price of 99,800 yuan (13,750 USD). These cars took center stage at the BYD exhibition at the Shenzhen Auto Show, where BYD invested 138 million USD. Real-world tests concluded with 2.54L of fuel every 100 kilometers. As the production cars hit the market, what are they like to drive, and how is the built quality? Let’s head out with the Seal 06 DM-i on this week’s Sunday China Drive!

Shenzhen Auto Show 2024
It has been a month since we tested the BYD Seagull. We’ve just received the exciting news from the BYD rep that the eagerly awaited BYD Sea-Lion 07 (see specs) SUV, which has completed its on-road registration, is now fully prepared for a test drive. Furthermore, the BYD Seal 06 DM-i production car is also ready to hit the road for an on-road test. With this thrilling update, we wasted no time and headed straight to the BYD 4s dealership for the Ocean series to get our hands on both these vehicles.
First Impressions

At the center of the dealership stood the BYD Seal 06 DM-i. Why isn’t the Sea-Lion 07 more premium placed in the middle? The BYD rep explained that the Seal 06 DM-i has become very popular. On weekends, many customers have been lining up to inspect the E-segment sedan measuring 4830/1875/1495 mm and with a wheelbase of 2790 mm. The test-drive car became available only two days ago. Hence, our decision to report on the Seal 06 DM-i sedan before the Sea-Lion 07 SUV.
Being named Seal 06 DM-i, it is evident that the new car belongs to BYD’s Ocean series. Its appearance closely assembles the original BYD Seal (EV) and the Seal DM-i. It has a low grille. The door handles are partially hidden. At the rear, a continuous taillight spans across the trunk, and the BYD logo illuminates at night. All the panels are well aligned, and the doors closed, sounding solid.
The Interior

Our test car is the top-trimmed 120km flagship model. You will find familiarities from BYD’s Ocean series upon entering the new car. The interior uses lots of soft-touch materials with nice stitching. The style of the three-spoke steering wheel is the same as the one used on the BYD Seal (EV), while an 8.8-inch LCD instrument screen sits above it. At the center lays BYD’s signature 15.6-inch rotating center screen, which can be operated via voice commands. There are no black plastic panels inside the cabin to attract your fingerprints.
The driver’s seat was comfortable, upholstered in perforated leatherette that offered good lumbar support. The rear seats provided ample space and featured three individual headrests. Both headroom and legroom were spacious. This car can comfortably seat five adults.
The Seal 06 DM-i includes six airbags, automatic air conditioning, one-touch driver’s window control, and tire pressure monitoring. It also has a panoramic sunroof with electronic blinds to block out the sun, DiPilot L2 driving assistance, an electric adjustable front passenger seat, a dashcam, 18-inch wheels, and heated and ventilated seats. All these are included in the 19,250 USD package.
As an audiophile, the 8-speaker system surprised me. Unlike the audio system from the Yuan UP, not only did we manage to hear the music from the speakers during the test drive, but the quality was quite musical and did not lack bass.
Storage
The car’s deep trunk is a practical solution to your storage needs, providing a spacious 425-liter capacity. With the rear seats folded down, the capacity can be increased to an impressive 1,440 liters.
Behind the Wheel
We took the new car on suburban roads in Zhuhai to see how it performed. The Seal 06 DM-i’s driver’s seating position is relatively low. The steering wheel is slightly thicker and more extensive than other BYD cars I tested, which required getting used to. Once the sedan began moving, I noticed the quietness inside the cabin. However, the tire noise is quite noticeable.
The steering is responsive, precise, and stable through corners. However, the steering doesn’t feel as light as BYD’s pure EVs since this is a hybrid.
It accelerated quickly during overtaking, reaching 0-100 km/h in 7.5 seconds and weighing 1,775 kg. Like other BYD cars I have tested, the Seal 06 DM-i does not provide explosive acceleration but a linear speed increase. The accelerator is more receptive than the previous Seal DM-i (see specs).
The Seal 06’s MacPherson front suspension and E-type four-link rear suspension provided a comfortable ride. The suspensions also communicated with the driver and the road.
Despite being built on the same platform, the Seal 06 DM-i is tuned to provide a slightly firmer and more sporty ride than the Qin L DM-i. Besides the zippy BYD Seagull, other BYD models we tested emphasized comfort over driving engagement. We experienced a more agile ride in sports mode but cannot categorize the Seal 06 DM-i as a “fun to drive” car as we did with the Geely Galaxy E8.
Range
The top trim Seal 06 DM-i has a 15.9 kWh battery that provides a 120 km CLTC range. Together with its 65-liter petrol tank, it offers a combined range of 2,100 km CLTC.
Safety Features
The Seal 06 DM-i offers six airbags, adaptive cruise control, automatic emergency braking, lane-keeping assistance, and blind spot detection.
Dealership Experience
The BYD representative I had been in contact with via WeChat was on leave, so I was given a new contact. At the dealership, I found out this person was also on leave. After some confusion and walking around, a friendly sales rep helped and gave me a bottle of water while I waited for the test drive. He accompanied me on the test drives in both the Seal 06 DM-i and the Sea-Lion 07 to explain the details of the cars. Overall, we spent a present two hours at the dealership and test driving.
Conclusion
Despite having previously tested the Yuan-UP and the Seagull, I was skeptical of the Seal 06 DM-i before the test drive. How can an E-segment vehicle be offered from only 13,750 USD, even in China? BYD did not cut down on the quality of the car. At this price point, one should expect BYD to offer something other than bells and whistles, like auto parking or an advanced driver assistance system with minimal reliance on high-precision maps. Overall, the BYD Seal 06 DM-i is good value for money. This is why buyers are willing to wait three months for delivery.
BYD is the first to mass produce its fifth generation DM-i PHEV to achieve 2,000+ km in range. Chery and Geely are also working on PHEV platforms to deliver a similar range. This significant market impact of the BYD’s fifth generation DM-i PHEV platform is indeed exciting for car enthusiasts.
Stay tuned for next week’s Sunday China Drive at Car News China, where you can get more evaluations of Chinese EVs from a first-person perspective.

Yommie

Elite Member
Oct 2, 2013
Country of Origin
Country of Residence

China exported 2.45 million vehicles from January to May 2024, up 26%​

Reading Time: 2 minutes

Dong Yi Chen

June 23, 2024

I want this

Follow Us

In May 2024, China exported 568,000 vehicles, a year-on-year increase of 29% and a month-on-month increase of 2%; from January to May, China exported 2.45 million vehicles, a year-on-year increase of 26%, according to Cui Dongshu, Secretary-General of the China Passenger Car Association (CPCA).

From January to May 2024, Chinese vehicle export value reached 46.4 billion USD, with an export growth rate of 20.1%; and the average export price of automobiles was 19,000 USD, which remained consistent compared to 2023.

May 2024 Export Volume​

The top five countries that China exports to in May 2024 in terms of number of vehicles are:

• Russia: 103,763
  • Brazil: 53,164
  • Mexico: 42,192
  • Belgium: 28,851
  • UAE: 28,661
More specifically, the top five countries in terms of new energy vehicle exports in May 2024 are:
  • Brazil: 45,501
  • Belgium: 26,502
  • United Kingdom: 16,859
  • Mexico: 8,680
  • Thailand 8,174
In May 2024, 207,000 new energy vehicles were exported, a year-on-year increase of 33%; from January to May, 870,000 new energy vehicles were exported, a year-on-year increase of 29%.

January to May 2024 Export Volume​

Furthermore, the top five countries that China exports to from January to May 2024 cumulatively are:

• Russia: 372,542
  • Mexico: 190,897
  • Brazil: 159,612
  • Belgium: 124,081
  • UAE: 114,530
More specifically, the top five countries in terms of total new energy vehicle exports in the first five months of this year are:
  • Brazil: 130,967
  • Belgium: 115,318
  • United Kingdom: 67,956
  • Thailand: 54,744
  • Philippines: 45,115
At the same time, in the first five months of this year, markets such as Australia, Spain, Israel, Thailand, and Ecuador declined significantly. On the other hand, the Central Asian and Russian markets performed relatively strongly, with the Russian market becoming a core market for growth due to the Russia-Ukraine War.
Moreover, the growth of plug-in hybrid vehicles mainly comes from markets such as Brazil and Mexico. The markets with a decline in plug-in hybrid vehicle imports are Belgium, France, Germany, Israel, and the UAE.
Chinese vehicle export data 2007 – May 2024 | Blue bar chart: export volume in units of 10k | Red line: growth rate in %.
In 2023, China exported 5.221 million vehicles, a year-on-year increase of 57.4%. Within the first five months of 2024, the cumulative export volume is 47% of the 2023 total export volume. Will this year’s performance be even better?
Source: Cui Dongshu of CPCA

Yommie

Elite Member
Oct 2, 2013
Country of Origin
Country of Residence

Geely will launch a new mid-size crossover 18:13​

Anika
By ANIKA
June 24, 2024

Sales of the Geely Galaxy E5 mid-size crossover in the Chinese market will begin in August 2024. In this respect reports carnewschina.com.
The new product will be the first fully electric model of the Galaxy series. In China, the crossover will be sold for 150-200 thousand yuan (1.89 million – 2.53 million rubles at the current exchange rate). The dimensions of the E5 are 4615x1901x1670 mm and the wheelbase is 2750 mm. The size of the car is similar to the Porsche Macan. The model has a closed grille, sharp-edged headlights and C-shaped ventilation holes at the bottom.
The interior of the car is equipped with a steering wheel with a flat top and bottom, an LCD instrument panel and a large central control display with the built-in Flyme Auto operating system running on the Dragon Eagle-1 chip.
The vehicle will be equipped with both hybrid and fully electric power units.
It happened before that knownIt was stated that Haval dealers in Russia started selling the H5 SUV. One of these cars was seen in the brand’s official showroom in Moscow.
According to the sales manager, the cars were transported to Russia via parallel imports. The cost of such an SUV is 3.65 million rubles.
It is stated that the dealer is ready to sell it or import another SUV from China. But he warns that official sales will begin in the fall and the base price of the Haval H5 will go well beyond 4 million rubles.
The length of the car is 5190 mm and the wheelbase is 3140 mm. With the seats folded, the trunk volume is 2116 liters. The SUV looks similar to the Japanese model Toyota Fortuner.
In China, the new Haval H5 SUV is offered with two two-liter engines. The first is a gasoline engine with 218 hp. The second is a 166-horsepower diesel unit. Transmissions are manual and eight-speed automatic.
Previously reportedProduction of Exeed crossovers will begin in July 2024 at the former Mercedes factory.

Source: Gazeta

Yommie

Elite Member
Oct 2, 2013
Country of Origin
Country of Residence

Is former Nio JV Chinese EV brand Hycan about to go bust?​

Reading Time: 5 minutes

Mark Andrews

June 24, 2024

Hycan Concept S on display at the 2021 Guangzhou Auto Show, Guangdong Province, China.

I want this

Follow Us

If your initial reaction is “Who?” then this pretty much sums up the problem. Originally founded as a joint venture between Nio and GAC the Hycan brand has never been particularly successful. Sales are declining and in May the brand only managed to sell 196 units. The company is now also beset by employee protests and time looks as if it is running out for Hycan.

The brand started life at the end of 2017 as a joint venture between GAC and Nio with both GAC Group and GAC New Energy, now GAC Aion, taking a share in the company. Under the agreement GAC was responsible for R&D and production of the cars while Nio provided technology and EV infrastructure. Through the JV Nio was hoping to enter the mass market while GAC was hoping to go more premium, which already sounded like a disconnect.
In May 2019 Hycan unveiled its first model the 007 (see specs). Visually it was little more than a GAC Aion LX SUV with a redesigned front and rear along with new wheels. The interior also got a redesign and came with a smart assistant similar to Nio’s Nomi. Xiao Can, as the assistant is known, also in the 007 had a top of the dashboard physical presence like in Nio cars. Sales of the Hycan 007 began in 2020.

Although Hycan has many problems, sales are a unifying factor. An examination of the brand’s swish website shows that it has five models on sale. The 007 is still on sale and seems to be the only one to use the Xiao Can system or at least as a dashboard mounted system. It also has an unusual triple screen arrangement where all three are blended into one with the third screen below the second screen in the center.
Following on from the 007 is the Z03 which took an Aion Y SUV and gave it a similar redesign treatment. Selling points for the Z03 (see specs) appear to be the ADAS system and that the seats can lie flat creating a comfortable leisure space. The website shows a projector and screen setup for the interior similar to the one available for the Xpeng P5.
Making up two of the five models on sale are the A06 and the A06 Plus sedan. The A06 went on sale in 2022 and the Plus at the end of last year. Really the Plus should be called Minus, not only is it the cheapest version, but it is also 20 mm shorter and has the smallest battery capacity (60 kWh), plus it is the only version to use cheaper lithium iron phosphate batteries. At launch with a drag coefficient of 0.217 Cd the A06 (see specs) was one of China’s most aerodynamic sedans. The performance version has a 3.7 seconds acceleration time. Notably, the A06 is the first Hycan to use a dedicated platform, all previous models were based off GAC Aion models.

Finally, there is the V09 MPV which along with being the brand’s most expensive vehicle, also seems to be the most technologically advanced. At the 2021 Guangzhou Auto Show Hycan showed two concepts, the Concept S sports coupe and the Concept M MPV. The V09 (see specs) is largely a production version of the latter and went on sale in late 2023. A 2+2+3 seating arrangement MPV it features 800V architecture and can add 1 km of range every second with 4C charging. Maximum range is 762 km CLTC and the V09 features Lidar.
In 2023 Hycan sold all of 18,559 cars which was less than the 18,941 units in 2022. Sales in May fell off a cliff edge from 762 in April to just 196. For a brand with four models on sale, this performance is terrible.

Employee relations​

There seem to be three main issues between employees and the company. First and foremost is the issue of salary payment. According to Fast Technology, insiders have said Hycan has not been paying suppliers for some time and there was no factory year-end bonus. March’s salary payment was only paid at the basic rate meaning a 30-50% reduction in payment and there was no communication or explanation from the company as to why.
The company is also now operating a scheme where employees are being sent in to the dealers stores to try to sell cars. Those that succeed get a reward of 3% of the car’s guide price which means they can receive somewhere between 5000 and 12,000 yuan (700 – 1,650 USD). The scheme appears to have been implemented in April 2023 and requires employees to sell at least one car each over a year. However, for those that fail there are punishments. Yiche reports a number of staff have left because of this scheme and say that the year-end bonus and performance bonus will be reduced according to the proportion of the outstanding achievement. Executives stand to lose 5% of the salary and ordinary workers 3%.
Making headlines today was a protest which took place on June 15 at the GAC Pavilion asking them to protect the rights of Hycan employees. Central to the protest was the “Administrative Measures for Compulsory Co-investment by Employees” scheme implemented between 2018 and 2021 which forced 50 employees to invest in total over 100 million yuan (14 million USD). Hycan had promised to return the money if the employees involved left the company but due to the company’s financial problems that is currently not happening. Since August 2023 many of the employees involved have submitted resignations and requested the return of funds.

Hycan ownership​

Nio by 2020 was suffering from severe financial problems and had to be bailed out by a cash injection from the Hefei city government. As mentioned earlier there was a divergence between the aims of Nio and GAC with the Hycan brand and for this reason along with Nio’s financial problems Nio’s share progressively got watered down. In 2021 Zhujiang Investment Management (aka Guangdong Pearl River Investment Management Group) became the largest shareholder with Nio holding just 4.5%. The following year Nio withdrew completely.
Currently Zhujiang holds a 68.56% share of the brand, GAC Aion 20.54% and GAG Group 4.46%.

Editor’s note:​

Hycan has always been one of the brands which seemed pointless. Now with GAC’s success with the Hyper sub-brand of Aion there seems to be even less point to it. Although Hycan has come out in recent years with some more interesting designs it never really managed to announce itself to the world and as a result most will probably not even notice its death.
Sources: Autohome, Fast Technology, Hycan, Yiche

Yommie

Elite Member
Oct 2, 2013
Country of Origin
Country of Residence

Export bound Geely Galaxy E5 will launch in August​

Reading Time: 3 minutes

Mark Andrews

June 24, 2024

I want this

Follow Us

As the Geely Galaxy E5 gears up to its official launch, believed to be sometime in August, we are learning more about the car, its features and performance. Prices in China for the all-electruc SUV are likely to be in the 130,000 to 170,000 yuan (17,900 – 23,400 USD) range. With the E5 being the first Geely Galaxy model simultaneously developed for the domestic market and export markets – reportedly right-hand drive versions are currently being tested together with left-hand drive – we can expect exports to begin soon as well.

As previously reported the Geely Galaxy E5 uses a 11-in-1 intelligent electric drive system. This integrates 11 major devices such as motors, electronic controls and reducers and we now know that the weight is 79.8 kg and the volume is just 72 liters. Comprehensive efficiency is up to 90.04% and power consumption is as low as 11.9 kWh per 100 km while the motor itself has peak power of 160 kW. Furthermore, the drive uses an Infineon TC397 chip to enable high communication efficiency and fast power response.
As we have previously reported the Geely Galaxy E5 uses Geely Electric Architecture (GEA) platform, which is derived from the Sustainable Experience Architecture (SEA). Interestingly GEA can be utilized for EV, EREV, PHEV, and green methanol powertrains. In addition, the E5 has CTB integrating the battery into the body which helps with rigidity. There is also a G-TCS all-weather drive anti-skid system. Thanks to such systems the official moose test speed is 78 km/h.

Acceleration time is 6.9 seconds and the braking distance from 100 km/h is 35 meters. Meanwhile the top speed is 180 km/h. The Geely Galaxy E5 uses a 4-speed intelligent energy recovery system which adjusts braking force in real-time based on vehicle distance, road congestion and ramp information, providing a more comfortable ride.
The E5 uses Geely’s self-developed Aegis short knife lithium iron phosphate batteries. Battery pack sizes are 49.52kWh and 60.22kWh with CLTC ranges of 440 km and 530 km respectively.
Externally the car measures in at 4615, 1901, and 1670 mm (l/w/h) while the wheelbase is 2750 mm. Buyers can choose from 18 and 19-inch wheels.

Inside the car has a both a separate LCD instrument screen and a head up display for the driver. There is also a large central floating infotainment screen. The Geely Galaxy E5 uses the Flyme Auto car machine system which was developed in conjunction with Geely controlled Meizu. Furthermore, the Galaxy E5 system will be powered by the Dragon Eagle-1 chip which is if the first domestically produced 7 nm automotive chip. Buyers apparently will have a choice of three different interior colors.
Source: Fast Technology

Yommie

Elite Member
Oct 2, 2013
Country of Origin
Country of Residence

BYD Ming is 5.1-meter 7-seat SUV with DM-p powertrain​

Reading Time: 2 minutes

Denis Bobylev

June 24, 2024

byd ming concept car hybrid dm-p suvBYD concept car drawings

I want this

Follow Us

The first information about the BYD Ming flagship SUV leaked in China. This car will become the brand’s flagship crossover with seven seats, a body length of 5100 mm, and a DM-p powertrain. It will enter the Chinese market next year.

BYD Dynasty series cars are called after well-known Chinese ruling dynasties. It currently comprises five lines: Han, Qin, Yuan, Tang, and Song. The current flagship SUV of the Dynasty series is the Tang crossover (see specs here). However, it will be replaced by the Ming SUV quite soon.

Main information about BYD Ming​

BYD Tang DM-i
The information about the BYD Ming was first exposed in China. It is a full-size SUV with dimensions of 5100/2000/1750 mm with a wheelbase of 3000 mm. For comparison, it is 230 mm longer, 50 mm wider, and 25 mm higher than the Tang crossover. The Ming’s wheelbase is 180 mm longer than the Tang. However, the curb weight of this flagship SUV is 2500 kg, which is only 55 kg more than the Tang DM-p.

BYD Qin L adopts brand’s latest Dragon Face design language
There is no information about the exterior styling of the BYD Ming. However, CarNewsChina assumes it will adopt the BYD’s latest Dragon Face design language similar to the Qin L (see specs here) sedan. We do think it will be positioned not as an off-road SUV but as a city driver because its ground clearance is only 185 mm.
According to current information, the BYD Ming crossover will be equipped with the DM-p plug-in hybrid powertrain system. It consists of a 2-liter turbocharged ICE and two electric motors, providing 4WD and over 600 hp. The Ming’s zero-to-hundred acceleration time is 3.9 seconds. So, it is 0.4 second faster than the Tang DM-p SUV.
The BYD Ming will have seven seats inside. There is no further information about this SUV’s cabin. However, it will most likely adopt the BYD’s signature combination of an LCD instrument panel and a 15.6-inch floating rotatable screen.

BYD Ming’s elder brother​

Denza N9 SUV
Interestingly, the BYD Ming SUV will have a high-end cousin under the Denza brand. It will be called N9. The Denza N9 will rival other luxury crossovers like Li Auto L9 and Aito M9. It hints the cheaper BYD Ming SUV will rival the more affordable Li L8, Li L7, and Aito M7. The Ming’s price range will probably lie in 300,000 – 350,000 yuan (41,350 – 48,200 USD) range.
Source: Sohu, Autohome, Weibo

Yommie

Elite Member
Oct 2, 2013
Country of Origin
Country of Residence

BYD Tang Max confirmed in China as a large PHEV minivan​

Reading Time: 3 minutes

Denis Bobylev

June 24, 2024

BYD Tang Max PHEV minivan MPV multi-purpose vehicleBYD Tang Max MPV spotted in China

I want this

Follow Us

The BYD Dynasty series MPV’s name was confirmed as Tang Max. It was spotted in China for the third time, revealing interior and more details. This multi-purpose vehicle will enter the Chinese market this year with a price range of 250,000 – 350,000 yuan (34,450 – 48,200 USD).

Dynasty series is a long-running BYD product line. It currently comprises nine cars. Three of them are sedans: Han, Qin Plus, and Qin L. And six of them are crossovers: Tang, Song L, Song Pro, Yuan Plus, Yuan Pro, and Yuan Up. Previously, the Dynasty series also included the Song Max minivan. Later, BYD seized domestic sales of this car. However, BYD is ready to launch the new MPV called Tang Max.

BYD Tang Max’s name confirmed​

Previously, the Tang Max MPV was spotted in China during road tests. But BYD didn’t disclose the official name of their newest minivan. In January 2024, CarNewsChina carefully studied spy photos of this car and highlighted its rims had 唐 (Tang) logos. Based on this information, we have guessed this car most likely will be called Tang Max.

A bunch of fresh spy photos revealed the name of the upcoming BYD Dynasty series minivan is Tang Max. It has a Max badge at the trunk door, and a Tang logo on the wheel hubs. Its current state indicates it is still in some early testing phases. However, Chinese sources report it will be officially revealed in Q3 this year.

More about BYD Tan Max​

The exterior styling of the BYD Tang Max MPV is unfinished. Its front end has testing headlights, a short bonnet, and a trapeze-shaped green with a scale pattern. It also has a slick windshield, real side-view mirrors, and multi-spoke rims. From the side, the Tang Max has a flat roofline and tinted windows. It also has rear sliding doors.
Inside, the Tang Max has a three-spoke D-shaped steering wheel with an LCD instrument panel mounted behind it. The center console is equipped with a large rotatable touchscreen. Its diameter most likely reaches 15.6 inches.

Previously, it was revealed the Tang Max is a PHEV minivan. It will be equipped with BYD’s 5-gen plug-in hybrid powertrain system. It has a pure electric range of 200 km under an unknown driving cycle. The Tang Max is slightly smaller than the 5.25-meter Denza D9 minivan (see full specs here). So, the length of the BYD’s newest minivan could reach 5 meters.
According to BYD Dynasty series GM, this family driver will hit the Chinese market in Q4 of 2024. It will reportedly have a price range of 250,000 – 350,000 yuan (34,450 – 48,200 USD).
Source: Weibo, Weibo 李冰若Liberty

Users who are viewing this thread

Country Watch Latest