Discussion: Electronic devices based attack in Lebanon

How hard is to to rip apart a sample of pagers and check for explosives?

An explosive looks like nothing else inside an electronic device and would be very obvious.

It is the height of blundering to distribute thousands of pagers without being sure they have not been tampered with.
It's not so obvious.

Here is how looks a battery inside those devices:

Lithium-Ion-Battery-3.7v-2000mAh-01.jpg

If the explosive is inside the battery pack, you open the device case and see nothing strange.

Hezbollah was aware of its communications being infiltrated and this is why they decided to try new devices only to face a remote attack.

I found this:

"Israel carried out its operation against Hezbollah on Tuesday by hiding explosive material within a new batch of Taiwanese-made pagers imported into Lebanon, according to American and other officials briefed on the operation.

The pagers, which Hezbollah had ordered from Gold Apollo in Taiwan, had been tampered with before they reached Lebanon, according to some of the officials. Most were the company’s AR924 model, though three other Gold Apollo models were also included in the shipment.

The explosive material, as little as one to two ounces, was implanted next to the battery in each pager, two of the officials said. A switch was also embedded that could be triggered remotely to detonate the explosives.

At 3:30 p.m. in Lebanon, the pagers received a message that appeared as though it was coming from Hezbollah’s leadership, two of the officials said. Instead, the message activated the explosives. Lebanon’s health minister told state media at least 11 people were killed and more than 2,700 injured.

The devices were programmed to beep for several seconds before exploding, according to three of the officials."

Two ounces might not be easy to detect.

I have just checked the weight of this pager and it is listed as 133g(4.7oz).

Even assume that 1 oz of explosive was planted inside the pager then alarm bells should have rung if Hezbollah could have done something as simple as weigh the devices.

This is just one of so many basic checks that seem not to have been done.

There is no "hindsight" about these suggestions but basic procedures that an organisation like Hezbollah should have as SOPs when using devices that they obtained from outside.

What 'security failure' in any case?

a) If Israel put in a software to 'overheat' the batteries and make them explode would hizbulla be able to stop it? Absolutely not. You think they have engineers who will review line by line the code to figure out what's happening?
b)If israel put in explosive batteries would hizbolla have been able to detect it? No.

Now that this has happened they may do some sample checks I guess. but th bigger point is no secuirty failure. Israel has capabilties that Hizbulla doesn't have the ability to detect or stop.

A pager firmware must not have more than a few thousands lines of code.

But the manufacturer doesnt unveil it.

Israel hacks it, modified it, and Hezbollah trust in it.

Israelis have caused more causalities using pagers than our dictator and his goons could using 300 BMs, CMs, And drones. :rofl:
You are very enthusiastic. haha

Another shame for the Axis of Passivity.

Because nobody will use that garbage. next question. Not exactly . If you issued one you have to use it. The problem is when you can't produce your semiconductors , when you don't produce your lcds and .... how you want to build your own phone. Or in this case pagers.

Even assume that 1 oz of explosive was planted inside the pager then alarm bells should have rung if Hezbollah could have done something as simple as weigh the devices.

There is no "hindsight" about these suggestions but basic procedures that an organisation like Hezbollah should have as SOPs when using devices that they obtained from outside.
If someone change half lithium of any battery by explosive, how do you detect it?

It would be looked as a low quality battery (half capacity) and nothing more.

It was a lapse in security when you are facing up to the combined intelligence outfits of the west anf Israel you have to be cautious with every step you take. Nothing is fall proof and this attack is unprecedented as Israel legitimised this kind of attack now and we will likely see copy cat methods with other devices.

The sheer not caring who will be injured and killed is the hallmarks of the child killing genocidal state of israel.

If someone change half lithium of any battery by explosive, how do you detect it?

It would be looked as a low quality battery (half capacity) and nothing more.

That was a simple suggestion as part of many other basic procedures.

Check the battery with the standard manufactuer supplied one as well.

Because nobody will use that garbage. next question. Not exactly . If you issued one you have to use it. The problem is when you can't produce your semiconductors , when you don't produce your lcds and .... how you want to build your own phone. Or in this case pagers.
It's not needed to produce own hardware, just only own firmware (software) and batteries.

The worst part of all this for Hezbollah is that if Israel wants to put agents in hospitals and check who is injured because of the pagers, it will end up producing a massive reconnaissance operation for all the Hezbollah militants injured in this operation. There were about 100 hospitals that received people injured in this operation en masse.

That was a simple suggestion as part of many other basic procedures.

Check the battery with the standard manufactuer supplied one as well.
Same weight, less capacity.

And lot of standard low quality batteries without explosives, have less capacity than high quality batteries, it's not so strange. Lithium batteries lose capacity over time of use.

Just the low price make people use low quality batteries even knowing there are batteries of same size but higher price and capacity.

The technology of planting a bomb inside a pager is simple, but the way Israel planned and executed it was brilliant. They knew that only Hezbollah members used pagers, and by utilizing this technique, they could surgically eliminate their targets. India and Afghanistan have also used unknown gunmen to target terrorists inside Pakistan, but this method of targeting terrorists on a mass scale is truly impressive. There’s no doubt that Mossad is the best intelligence agency in the world, and I’m amazed at how clever they are with anti-terrorism operations.

The worst part of all this for Hezbollah is that if Israel wants to put agents in hospitals and check who is injured because of the pagers, it will end up producing a massive reconnaissance operation for all the Hezbollah militants injured in this operation. There were about 100 hospitals that received people injured in this operation en masse.
scars will keep in the future.

all the hezbollah human robots (they just get orders, one way communication pagers, and obbey, and kill) have been marked.

The technology of planting a bomb inside a pager is simple, but the way Israel planned and executed it was brilliant. They knew that only Hezbollah members used pagers, and by utilizing this technique, they could surgically eliminate their targets. India and Afghanistan have also used unknown gunmen to target terrorists inside Pakistan, but this method of targeting terrorists on a mass scale is truly impressive. There’s no doubt that Mossad is the best intelligence agency in the world, and I’m amazed at how clever they are with anti-terrorism operations.
So Mossad kill some children and innocent ladies but an Indian finds this brilliant and amazing.
Its another war crime - why Indians salivate when innocent are killed and praise the occupier is beyond me. Actually the point is Musslelman are being murdered. That makes Indians jolly and amazed.
Couldnt resist mention India and Afghanistan in a thread that has nothing to do with them? Indians giving phull SHAPPPORT to the white man.

I’m left speechless. I’m a Shia, and above all a practicing Muslim. I pray 5x a day, I try to avoid non halal meats, I don’t drink, and above all I believe in Islam and its ethics.

But after witnessing todays event, I think Iran hezbollah and whoever is fighting this needs to throw out the rule book and end this fighting with one arm tied behind your back for whatever reason. You’ve passed the point of no return of not having war. History doesn’t stop for anyone. They’re waging wars against your people and freely killing them across the region and in your homes and capitals, while you try to follow some unspoken rule of not hitting them back twice as hard. They know they’re dealing with timid leadership; hence, can go as crazy as possible because you won’t hurt them deep enough. A drone here and a missile there in their capital and that’s it. They’ve effectively defeated the Shias too.
You have no arms that that can be tied behind ....Iran had been playing sectarian card for decades and destroyed Syria , Lebanon , Yemen and Iraq ....now , getting spanked by Israel you are hiding behind Islamic ummah and high morality ....keep on praying , green Angels will descend from heavens to save your butts .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back