Gaza-Israel Conflict | 2023-2024

Israel strikes aid convoy organized by U.S. humanitarian group, killing 5​

The Anera convoy was carrying medical supplies and fuel to a hospital in Rafah, and its route was coordinated in advance with the IDF.

August 30, 2024 at 6:54 a.m. EDT
The Israeli military fired a missile killing five people in the lead vehicle of an aid convoy organized by a U.S.-based humanitarian group, which it claimed had been hijacked by militants.
The D.C.-based nonprofit, American Near East Refugee Aid, known as Anera, described it as a “shocking incident” in a statement on Friday and said that those killed were from a local transportation company. It was urgently seeking more details about the incident.

The convoy had been delivering medical supplies and fuel to an Emirati-run hospital in Rafah, Palestine Country Director Sandra Rasheed said in the statement to The Washington Post, and its route was coordinated with the Israel Defense Forces.

“The convoy included an Anera employee who was fortunately unharmed,” she added.
The deadly strike in southern Gaza on Thursday comes just days after a World Food Program truck was fired on in the enclave and amid an increasingly strained environment in which humanitarian organizations are operating.

In its account of the incident, the IDF said the gunmen had seized the lead vehicle of the convoy, prompting the attack.

“During the convoy’s journey, armed militants took control of a vehicle at the front of the convoy,” the IDF said. “An attack was carried out against them. No other vehicles in the convoy were harmed, and it reached its destination as planned.”

The IDF said the “attack on the militants removed the threat to the humanitarian convoy,” adding that “the presence of armed militants within a humanitarian convoy without coordination is against regulations, complicates the security of the convoys and their personnel, and thus undermines the humanitarian effort in Gaza.”
Humanitarian groups providing desperately needed aid in Gaza have repeatedly come under attack during the war, raising concerns about the system used to coordinate routes and the IDF’s approach to the conflict. According to the United Nations, more than 280 humanitarian workers have been killed since the war in Gaza began in October.

Seven World Central Kitchen aid workers were killed in an Israeli airstrike in April, making global headlines. Israeli forces at the time also believed, incorrectly, that militants were present in the convoy.

An Anera employee, Mousa Shawwa, a logistics coordinator in Gaza, was killed on March 8 by an Israeli airstrike while he was in a deconflicted shelter, the charity’s CEO Sean Carroll told The Washington Post at the time. The relief worker’s 6-year-old son, Karim, also died 10 days later from injuries suffered during the attack, he said.
Thursday’s incident is one of several such attacks this week. In remarks to the United Nations Security Council on Thursday, the U.S. representative, Robert Wood, referred to an incident that occurred on Sunday, according to U.N. officials, in which he said the IDF fired toward a UNICEF vehicle.
On Tuesday, at least 10 bullets were fired into a World Food Program vehicle, which the United Nations blamed on Israel and prompted WFP to temporarily suspend staff movement across Gaza. Wood said the Biden administration was “deeply alarmed” by Tuesday’s shooting and urged Israel to “immediately rectify the issues within their system that allowed this to happen.”

Mercy Corps vice president of global policy and advocacy, Kate Phillips-Barrasso, said in a statement that Tuesday’s attack “underscores the dangerous reality that aid workers are not safe in Gaza.”
This week, the U.N. Office for Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs known said in an update that almost 90 percent of Gaza’s population has been placed under evacuation orders from Israel’s military, squeezing Palestinians into overcrowded areas “lacking critical infrastructure and basic services.” OCHA added that “delivering fuel and medical supplies to health facilities is extremely challenging in the context of repeated evacuation orders.”

Palestine Red Crescent Society responders retrieve the body of a man found dead at the Nur a-Shams refugee camp during an IDF operation in Tulkarm in the northern West Bank on Thursday. (Heidi Levine for The Washington Post)

i tought that is obvious factor to be taken in consideration like any other target in occupied territories but due distance and non importance till now of that place it is logical to assume that this specific area is less covered with ABM protection.
Arrow-2 has a range of 90-100km

Israel is tiny. the coast of Gaza is only 85km from Tel Aviv and Jerusalem, and 45km from Beer Sheeba. so it's very easy for them to have coverage.

the area with less ABM protection is the Golan Heights since parts of it are 130km+ away from Tel Aviv and Jerusalem

Don't know if the rush to leave is because of some usual weekend / holiday rush or not but the video and the Comments to it are joy to read. Hahahahah!!

In just 16 minutes of this video, you'd see so much info:
Israel going from a 'startup nation' to a 'shutdown nation', the 'brain drain', the ongoing 'war of attrition' could collapse Israel in a year, the impact of cancellation of flights to cause a mass rush to emigrate, the parallels with South African Apartheid collapse.

And what this video doesn't mention is the collapse of the America-backed govt in Afghanistan recently: Who would have thought in as late as as July 2021 that in mid August 2021 the heavily supplied/backed govt in Kabul would fall in mid August 2021.

The West never help Taliban. Taliban is basically a new force originated from Pasthun side of Pakistan.

The West mostly helped Afghan Mujahidin like Hekmayar and others.
You are right.
It was indeed the Mujahidin. My fault. Sorry.

France destroyed Libya, @BP2 should complain to his rulers.

Libya is a endless hell, impossible to make that stable like in Gadafi age.
I agree. It was a fault to made an intervention in Lybia.
Lybia is now as Irak : a mess.

You are right.
It was indeed the Mujahidin. My fault. Sorry.

You another level

How do you consistently ignore and remain distant from everything else in this thread, except to make the victim's the ones at fault

Ignore everything else

Is this not proof of the abandonment of equal human morality?

Well, Europe has it coming. And not only from the destruction of the Middle East but also from the destructive war between Russia-Ukraine which may expand and become even more destructive.
The russia-Ukraine war is not the same kind of war.
I agree to help and support Ukraine, for 2 reasons :
-Russia is the attacker.
-We already have made a big mistake trying to make peace with Hitler, during the 1938 Munich trial. It was an error. If we have succeed stoping then Hitler maybe ww2 would not have happend. It is not a good idea to deal with such dictator. I don't want we, the west, agree for another Munich.

I agree. It was a fault to made an intervention in Lybia.
Lybia is now as Irak : a mess.

They are in Europe now

You support wars, then wonder why you have immigrants

Meanwhile you support Israel being an ethnic nationalist state😂😂

Where will the Gazans go..... Europe ofcourse

So what do you value more, real question

The russia-Ukraine war is not the same kind of war.
I agree to help and support Ukraine, for 2 reasons :
-Russia is the attacker.
-We already have made a big mistake trying to make peace with Hitler, during the 1938 Munich trial. It was an error. If we have succeed stoping then Hitler maybe ww2 would not have happend. It is not a good idea to deal with such dictator. I don't want we, the west, agree for another Munich.
Russia has Chechen and Muslims fighting in its army

Ukraine has Azov brigade

Upside down world 🙃

You another level

How do you consistently ignore and remain distant from everything else in this thread, except to make the victim's the ones at fault

Ignore everything else

Is this not proof of the abandonment of equal human morality?
On this thread most of you are muslims. I'm not. So I try to give you another point of view.
It is impossible to forget what happend 7th october. The cruelty used.
And now Hamas is hiding among their own civilians, their own people, knowingly. They know the are indirectly making civilian decease.

On this thread most of you are muslims. I'm not. So I try to give you another point of view.
It is impossible to forget what happend 7th october. The cruelty used.
And now Hamas is hiding among their own civilians, their own people, knowingly. They know the are indirectly making civilian decease.
I am also not Muslim but unlike you I find it very difficult to forget what happened on every day since 7th October and every day before 7th October

Where will the Gazans go..... Europe ofcourse
And what about all the muslim country all around ? Why coming in EUrope where it is estimated there are already too much migrants. They know that I expect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back