HAL LCA Tejas: Updates, News & Discussions

As I mentioned earlier, this delay isn't solely due to the engine, as they have a sufficient stock of spare engines from the MK1. Thank you for informing me about the radar integration issues as well. I wouldn't be surprised if more incompetencies are uncovered soon.

Indians are playing a blame game for their incompetence, as this engine issue provides them with a scapegoat for their other failings.

es, seems like there is much more to these delays then meets the eye.

Anyway, the more wise within the IAF seem to be planning for the day when they need to find alternatives as their VCOAS hinted at.

In a few months they will lose tow MIG-21 Sqds with no replacements being supplied. My bet is that early Jan/Feb 2025 Tejas is cancelled, the two Sqds currently in service are kept for show just like the two Arjun regiments they have. show ponies.

Post has nothing to do with Tejas, it's almost like you are desperate to talk about almost anything else. why not leave Pakistan and China out of this and focus on why, after 10 years, only 35 Tejas are in IAF service?

We would leave it alone if you yourself would stop bla bla about Chinese fifth generation and Chinese j31
I suggest you look at your posts first

We would leave it alone if you yourself would stop bla bla about Chinese fifth generation and Chinese j31
I suggest you look at your posts first

Stick to the topic. Although to be fair, this thread many not exist in a few months....

es, seems like there is much more to these delays then meets the eye.

Anyway, the more wise within the IAF seem to be planning for the day when they need to find alternatives as their VCOAS hinted at.

In a few months they will lose tow MIG-21 Sqds with no replacements being supplied. My bet is that early Jan/Feb 2025 Tejas is cancelled, the two Sqds currently in service are kept for show just like the two Arjun regiments they have. show ponies.
If the contract for F-404 engines has been signed between HAL and GE, US theoretically cannot prevent GE from fulfilling the contract, even if USA and India are at war with each other. However, I don't believe the contract has been signed yet. India will most likely invest billions of dollars into the Kaveri engine, which is a positive development.

If the contract for F-404 engines has been signed between HAL and GE, US theoretically cannot prevent GE from fulfilling the contract, even if USA and India are at war with each other. However, I don't believe the contract has been signed yet. India will most likely invest billions of dollars into the Kaveri engine, which is a positive development.

Yes, the US Gov can easily override any commercial contract, and has done on many passed occasions citing National Security concerns. I do not think they will do this to India though.

USA has ditched Pakistan period
The double dealing and backstabbing during WOT has cost Pakistan dearly
Couple this with a econmic collapse failing rupee Pakistan needs china to help it stand up literally in every way
They really are on their needs
I heard imf have handed over 20 loans since independence none have been paid back completely

So coming back to Tejas or indeed Indian poor management or decision making

I look at this holistically
India is massive economic power power now will rightly take Third place and be bigger more powerful than all on the planet bar USA and china

These Indians get things right eventually
The Indian navy leads the way in independence indengious systems giving India a world class fleet

The air force will get this right soon enough
China is beyond reach we cannot fight china ever we best stick to diplomacy
But Pakistan offers nil threat to India now it's complete mis match in fire power financial muscle global standing etc
So Tejas beng late or failed or shut down is not a big deal being made here
Next door they have no idea where or what they can do about anything but rely on good will
You canny win arms race or ideology battle with this inherent weakness

Off topic I know but related

ny serious military purchases from USA because USA is allied with Pakistan. Even when buying systems for fighter jets, India may purchase engines for the Tejas, but the radar and mission computer will never be of US origin because a US-origin radar cannot be integrated with Indian and Russian weapons.
It’s true that Pakistan is now leaning towards China, but it has been the biggest non-NATO ally of USA in the past. Even today, it maintains an alliance with USA, though not as strong as it once was. US does not want India to completely dominate and control Pakistan, as Pakistan borders India, Afghanistan, and Iran, making it strategically important for the USA and NATO.

India opted not to pursue US assistance, despite its superior quality and competitive pricing and being able to purchase them, is due to the inevitable conditions attached, not because Pakistan is an Ally of US. Remember India and China both are Ally of Russia and make purchases. Trust me this is the best decision Indian leadership has made. In contrast, Pakistan made a significant error by compromising its sovereignty to some extent.

The United States has a history of abandoning Pakistan; this is not a new occurrence. For the US, Pakistan is considered an ally only when strategically necessary, a need that arises periodically due to Pakistan's geographical location and global politics.

Undeniably, the US and other global power brokers strive to maintain a delicate balance. This involves aligning China with the US, India with China, Pakistan with India, and Afghanistan with Pakistan. This is the nature of international relations, and it is unlikely to change. While Pakistan will never be allowed to completely develop or collapse, it will be perpetually kept in a precarious state, capable of serving as a counterbalance to India.

Anyway It's Tejas Thread so I think it's a bit off-topic so no more debate on this. 🫣

Last edited:
Stick to the topic. Although to be fair, this thread many not exist in a few months....

If your suggesting Tejas will be cancelled so beit
We learn we move on and upwards
We will open a new thread
Prehaps
Rafale F5 production. In India
Su57 mark two in India
F16/21 Lockheed are itching to build in India
So Tejas is one option

I can tell you some thing for guaranteed now Yasser
Tejas markone A is coming with USA GE engines that is a given it will not be changed under modi leadership
However what may change the second batch of 97 maybe shelved or diluted as India moves to mark two Tejas and Amca

India is determined to be non aligned and automnous as USA and west have discovered recently

For the same reason modi is determined that India has Indian weapons predominantly in next decade and beyond
Tejas late obselete not fit for purpose regardless it's coming

I can tell you some thing for guaranteed now Yasser
Tejas markone A is coming with USA GE engines that is a given it will not be changed under modi leadership
However what may change the second batch of 97 maybe shelved or diluted as India moves to mark two Tejas and Amca

India is determined to be non aligned and automnous as USA and west have discovered recently

For the same reason modi is determined that India has Indian weapons predominantly in next decade and beyond
Tejas late obselete not fit for purpose regardless it's coming
Even if US sanctions India and engine delivery becomes impossible, the Tejas MK1A may be delayed by 10 years but will eventually be equipped with the Kaveri engine. Meanwhile, the Tejas MK2 will come with a French or Russian engine.

If your suggesting Tejas will be cancelled so beit
We learn we move on and upwards
We will open a new thread
Prehaps
Rafale F5 production. In India
Su57 mark two in India
F16/21 Lockheed are itching to build in India
So Tejas is one option

All the above options are of course feasible and should be looked at seriously, but all of these of course come with issues. Mainly it will push money to foreign companies, but needs must.

Rafale Production - Possible but Dassault still reluctant to guarantee Indian made aircraft, also 4-5 year timeline (at best!) and very expensive

F-16/21 - Will IAF want to be phasing in a plane that is 4th/4.5th gen 5 years from now, and a plane PAF knows very well (in its earlier versions)

SU-57 - Major issue with Russian supply chain and war in Ukraine, also still unproven

Of course all of the above are viable options to Tejas

Even if US sanctions India and engine delivery becomes impossible, the Tejas MK1A may be delayed by 10 years but will eventually be equipped with the Kaveri engine. Meanwhile, the Tejas MK2 will come with a French or Russian engine.

So another 4-5 years testing new engine, 1-2 years manufacturing, first MK1A Sqd will then be in 2032?

So another 4-5 years testing new engine, 1-2 years manufacturing, first MK1A Sqd will then be in 2032?
Let's s see you say 2032
I am saying one full squadron of 16 Tejas before 2025 finishes IE 17 months from now
And all 83 delivered by 2030 max
Once this kicks off it will rapidly progress

Let's s see you say 2032
I am saying one full squadron of 16 Tejas before 2025 finishes IE 17 months from now
And all 83 delivered by 2030 max
Once this kicks off it will rapidly progress

Yeah, that is the fundamental issue with Tejas now. No one can trust anything anyone else says about the programme, the only thing you have is wishful thinking. Good luck.

delay of Tejas MK1A by 10 years will not render it obsolete. Instead, it will feature even more powerful upgrades and be renamed Tejas MK1B. delay in the production of Tejas MK1 was the reason Tejas MK1A was envisioned. delay in Tejas MK1A means it will be replaced by Tejas MK1B, which will have Indian Kaveri or an uprated French M-88 engine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back